Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 05:18 PM
    When to know it is safe for baby to be back in a freshly painted room.
    The walls were painted in the bedroom.

I am not sure if it is safe yet to put our baby back in the room.

I am not exactly sure what paint was used and cocking around the windows.

The workers told me it is water based. It smelled strong at first but I have been airing it out since Friday afternoon.

Thank you in advance.

Joe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Water based paint contains small amounts of slow evaporating solvents that are more water soluble than those in oil based paint. Such solvents are more toxic for being easier for the body to absorb them. If you read the label on latex paint, you will see it too recommends ventilation. I would continue to let the baby sleep elsewhere until very little odor is left. The amount of fumes is sort of a hockey stick thing, they go down very rapidly at first, and then level off dropping only slightly for a long time.

Even a baby's body is an amazing thing, able to deal with things never found in nature. Once the fumes drop low enough, the baby can protect itself from what little is left. After 2 days, it may be almost as safe as after 2 weeks.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
    That is the thing labman. Somebody came in and did all the painting. The paint dried very very quickly. They told me it was water based. It was strong at first but quickly disapatted but there is still the lingering smell.

What did you mean about after 2 days it maybe almost as safe as after 2 weeks?

I appreciate you're answer. Please reply. Thank you again.

Joe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 07:20 PM
    What I mean is that the smell would be mostly gone after 2 days, but still be almost as strong 2 weeks later. Mostly gone is a judgment call. As I said, another day or 2 can't hurt.

I will say I know more about how paint works than babies.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Noting the date of your post, not only is is it now safe. Baby is probably full grown by now.
    Just kidding. Hope you found soluton above.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Noting the date of your post, not only is is it now safe. Baby is probably full grown by now.
    Just kidding. Hope you found soluton above.
    Thank you Stratmando, lol.

You have a funny sense of humour. Lol

Baby may as well be grown up, they grow so fast. He is now close to 8 months old.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Thanks Jesushelper76, Love to help when I can, There are times I will just say something stupid. Kid are cool. Raising Granddaughter,she just turned 3. they come up with some funny stuff. Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to correct color on freshly permed hair? [ 2 Answers ]

Let me start my saying that two weeks ago I went to a Salon to get my hair permed as I have really thin straight hair and curl it all the time to get some volume. What I was expecting to get from the perm is not what I got. I hate the perm. On top of that, my stylist said that I would need to...

It's been almost a year, can I get my baby back? [ 27 Answers ]

I am a birthmother and I suffer from depression and lost my husband 2 years before I placed my baby for adoption. I was so depressed and I was not on medication at the time I placed my child for adoption. What are the odds that I can get my child back. I am know on medication for depression and...

More complete explanation of can I get my baby back [ 1 Answers ]

I was very depressed at the time and had no family support. I considered adoption. I called a few agencies and decided to go with a child's waiting. I told them that I was interested in foster care and they told me that if I didn't put the baby (1year old) up for adoption then I would have to...

Just when you thought it was safe, I'm back with more! [ 1 Answers ]

Intern Tech Several years ago we had an intern who was none too swift. One day he was typing and turned to a secretary and said, "I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?" "Just use copier machine paper," she told him. With that, the intern took his last remaining blank piece...

I'm back baby! [ 7 Answers ]

Well guys, its been awhile since my last post and this may be the last one for me for awhile unless you find me rifting around for the hell of it. Anyway, when I first got on this site I was a wreck. Dumped, left, abandoned, and hurt. You can read into my history if you want. But this site helped...

View more questions Search