Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Acur8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 06:54 AM
    3 Cats that are sneezing, coughing
    I have 3 cats that are coughing( like they have a hairball), sneezing and 1 has some green mucus when he sneezed recently that I don't know what to do with. My One male cat has gone through it and he is getting better, no more sneezing & coughing but the other 2 are still couching and sneezing and getting hairballs too (ALOT). I have changed the food to hairball treatment and that has made it better so far. Can you help me to figure out what I should do??
    Thanks,
    Amy
    spitfire12345 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Acur8
    I have 3 cats that are coughing( like they have a hairball), sneezing and 1 has some green mucus when he sneezed recently that I don't know what to do with. My One male cat has gone through it and he is getting better, no more sneezing & coughing but the other 2 are still couching and sneezing and getting hairballs too (ALOT). I have changed the food to hairball treatment and that has made it better so far. Can you help me to figure out what I should do???
    Thanks,
    Amy
    It sound like a type of cat flue when my cat had it we were told that it was fatal but after giving him a mixture of whiskey and milk which we syringed into him he went on to recover and lived until he was 10 years old which then he was unfortunately put to sleep good luck with them and try to keep them away from draughts if possible
    panther196 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 12:12 AM
    I just went through all this.hairballs can kill a cat.your cats need amoxicillin and laxatone hairball treatment.my cats had a foul cold and it was terrible seeing them sick.I have 6 cats ages 9 months to almost 14 yrs.last week I had to put my 12 yr old male cat to sleep due to kidney failure.it hurt but I did the right thing.I love my cats and they are my family.I hope your cats are better.keep us updated.for more info on cats go to petlovers.com
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Acur8
    I have 3 cats that are coughing( like they have a hairball), sneezing and 1 has some green mucus when he sneezed recently that I don't know what to do with. My One male cat has gone through it and he is getting better, no more sneezing & coughing but the other 2 are still couching and sneezing and getting hairballs too (ALOT). I have changed the food to hairball treatment and that has made it better so far. Can you help me to figure out what I should do???
    Thanks,
    Amy
    I just read your post and I hope that a vet tested at least one of your cats for FIV and Leukemia first off. If negative, all should be on a long round of antibiotics and anihistamines. Do they still act interested in food? Cats won't eat what they cannot smell. You can warm some stinky canned food like Fancy Feast or regular tuna in water or oil-not too much, just add to dry food or you'll get diarrhea on top of everything else! As far as the hairballs... are these long haired cats? Overgrooming is a cause of hairballs and the number one reason for overgrooming is fleas. If they have a flea allergy, one bite can set off an allergic reaction making them extremely itchy and sensitive therefore, they groom. Even if they are strictly indoor cats, use a topical flea preventative purchased from a vet-Advantage, Frontline or Revolution once monthly for at least 3 months and see if it doesn't get better!
    Kristiemagfar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 03:37 AM
    Take them to the vet as it sounds like cat flu and you need antibiotics like vibrate for all of them. If they have gunky eyes they might prescribe some eye ointment as well. Goodluck
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

May 11, 2011, 12:38 AM
    Comment on mrscoltweaver's post
    Just plain grooming in long haired cats can result in hairballs, especially when they start to really shed. A diet designed to aid in hairball removal is normally an effective approach to the problem. Unless evidence of a flea infestation is seen, I wouldn't suggest getting involved in a flea prevention program as a hairball preventative.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 03:58 PM

This post s from 2007. Please don't revive old threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Persistent coughing [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an infection at the beginning of April this year that seemed to go straight to my chest. It gave me an awful, persistent cough which always left me struggling for breath and trying desperately to suck back some air into my lungs (even while the coughing fits, which sometimes lasted for...

Sneezing Cat [ 3 Answers ]

I just adopted my cat and she is about 1 1/2 years old & in the last week has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused:

Sneezing Cat... [ 2 Answers ]

My Cat is 8 years old. I took her to the Vet about a week ago because she was weezing when sleeping... after an x-ray they seem to think she might have asma. They gave her corazone and her weezing has stopped. Now she is sneezing all the time. All night long she wakes up and sneezes for a couple of...

Sneezing cat [ 4 Answers ]

My cat is about 11/2 years old & in the last couple of weeks has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused: Is she alllergic to somethning & if so how do I narrow it down?? Crazyhatlady

View more questions Search