Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Republicans BLOCK jobs bill for VETERANS
    Hello:

Republicans block VETERANS jobs bill claiming it was unpaid for. How did republicans pay for the TWO wars they sent them to fight?

Why would they do that? Is there a political advantage that I can't see?

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
    16 Trillion debt isn't big enough for the Dems?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Hello smoothy:

There ARE some things a country should pay for no matter what. These are VETERANS... They fought wars for YOU - wars that were NOT paid for by the way...

I'm just wondering, at this particular juncture of the election, whether this was a GOOD political idea... Personally, I think it will accelerate the demise of the Republican party... I don't know, but I'm guessing that MOST EVERYBODY wants congress to DO this for the vets.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    And taking care of people willing to die for their country isn'tgood enough for republicans?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 22, 2012, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello smoothy:

There ARE some things a country should pay for no matter what. These are VETERANS... They fought wars for YOU - wars that were NOT paid for by the way...

I'm just wondering, at this particular juncture of the election, whether this was a GOOD political idea... Personally, I think it will accelerate the demise of the Republican party... I don't know, but I'm guessing that MOST EVERYBODY wants congress to DO this for the vets.

excon
    Its just pablum to help out a party that is running scared. I have to ask why was this bill designed to add to the government roles rather then being like the one passind in July of this year already ?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57328811-503544/obama-signs-bipartisan-jobs-bill-for-veterans/

Maybe by its design it was just a political move and not being done to actually help anyone (like shovel ready jobs).

Im all for support our military before and after their service. But lets keep it real and not just make things worse.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-11/veterans-jobs-bill-pushed-to-help-some-senate-democrats.html
    Expert

Sep 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
    If this was all true why did the repubs help sponsor a bill, add amendments and then vote against it?

Republicans Obstruct Veterans Job Corps Act - NYTimes.com

Rand Paul of Kentucky went further, saying he would block the bill until Pakistan freed Shakil Afridi, the doctor who helped the United States find Osama bin Laden. He also wants to halt all American aid to Pakistan until Dr. Afridi is released. If that halts American aid to veterans, too bad.
    Have we seen this pattern before in the face of high unemployment among vets? Among the nation? Stall and obstruct and use fiscal responsibility as an excuse? Holding the vets as hostages for an agenda? Really??
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Maybe Sen Murray should take that Congress 101 course all the jocks were taking at Harvard. Doesn't she know that the Constitution stipulates that spending bills have to originate in the House of Reps.

She said that it would not affect the Budget Control Act,(a deal negotiated in the summer... but of course we know what the value of a deal with the Dems means )because it would be paid for by undefined revenues over the next decade. Maybe she should've been clearer over which revenues... A tax increase ? The savings from the repeal of Obamacare ?

No... they constructed the bill with a poison pill to violate the terms of the Budget Control Act to manufacture an issue for the President for the next few weeks.

If the Dems want to help Vets get employment they should've concentrated on fixing the economy instead of forcing through legislation like Obamacare.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    If this was all true why did the repubs help sponsor a bill, add amendments and then vote against it?

Republicans Obstruct Veterans Job Corps Act - NYTimes.com

Have we seen this pattern before in the face of high unemployment among vets? Among the nation? Stall and obstruct and use fiscal responsibility as an excuse? Holding the vets as hostages for an agenda? Really???
    There were 60 bs riders and amendments attached by both parties to the bill .The key ones were the budget deal buster that the Dems added as a poison pill.
    Also Cal is right. Sen Coburn said there were already 6 different bills passed addressing Veteran Employment . This was nothing more than an election season ploy by the Dems.
    Expert

Sep 22, 2012, 12:18 PM
    It took them 10 years to take care of the 9/11 first responders, so I guess we wait for 10 more years to take care of vets too huh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Veterans Day [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Veterans: Thank you. excon

Who ownes block of land between the 700 block of king st and county st. in portsmout [ 3 Answers ]

Need to know who owns the parking lot across the street from 714 king st. portsmouth, va 23704. Is iti public or priviate property it is parallel.

Health Insurance for spouses of veterans [ 2 Answers ]

Is there is health insurance avaiable for spouses of veterns? He is currently enrolling for VA benefits and I am without health insurance. Is there a low cost insurance for me?

Ashamed by way Veterans are treated [ 83 Answers ]

Yesterday I was working a case and looking for a potential witness. Story is this - witness is a two-time Veteran of Iraq, deployed twice (obviously). Came home with "anger issues." Went to VA which is understaffed and overworked. They suggested private counselling which he cannot afford. Was...

Q about Veterans benefits and the requirements [ 10 Answers ]

I am waiting for a job. I take care of elderly people and the family of this one man told me that they could not hire me yet because the militery insurance would not pay for a caregiver till there was some problems with the house like a bad spot in the floor and the wiring is bad. They said the...

View more questions Search