Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shariliv Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
    how to avoid an unintentional diluting of EtG test?
    I am on probabtion for a DUI where I have to do monthly drug testing & random EtG testing. I have taken several drug tests & passed no problem as I'm not doing drugs, but I have "diluted" my 1st EtG test even though I wasn't trying to as I'm not drinking either. I did tell my probation officer from the beginning that I normally drink a lot of water (1/2 to +1 gallons a day) & was told it was very hard to accidentally dilute a test. After doing so I discussed with her that the drug tests were always in the morning & the EtG test was late afternoon & perhaps that was the issue. My question is this, would taking the EtG in the morning give me a more accurate result? And also how much water would be considered "too much" for the purpose of "diluting" a test? As I am not drinking (alcohol) I sure don't want to violate my probabtion & go to jail on something like unintentionally diluting.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
    A gallon of water is excessive unless you are in a hot environment where you lose a lot of water via sweating... as it flushes essential electrolytes from your system.

Sep 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
    I am an active person who lives in the southern US. I drink water almost exclusively, soft drinks or juices only occasionally & 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning. I have been this way almost all of my life so I guess my body is just used to it. I would think that if I drank excessive amounts of water routine tests by my doctor would show some sort of deficiencies, but that has not been the case except just recently where I have become borderline iron anemic. But my real question is am I better off to test in the morning than the afternoon to avoid the "dilute" result?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Morning... before you intake that much water... However as you said you are likely losing the water through sweat loss (evaporation) rather than through the bladder. Which is not the same as someone that is in a colder climate and not as active.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shariliv View Post
    I am on probabtion for a DUI where I have to do monthly drug testing & random EtG testing. I have taken several drug tests & passed no problem as I'm not doing drugs, but I have "diluted" my 1st Etg test even though I wasn't trying to as I'm not drinking either. I did tell my probation officer from the beginning that I normally drink alot of water (1/2 to +1 gallons a day) & was told it was very hard to accidentally dilute a test. After doing so I discussed with her that the drug tests were always in the morning & the Etg test was late afternoon & perhaps that was the issue. My question is this, would taking the Etg in the morning give me a more accurate result? And also how much water would be considered "too much" for the purpose of "diluting" a test? As I am not drinking (alcohol) I sure don't want to violate my probabtion & go to jail on something like unintentionally diluting.

This doesn't seem to be in the category of brain surgery to me.

So lay off on the water drinking for a day or two. That way you don't have to juggle the time or worry about the result.

Sep 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    this doesn't seem to be in the category of brain surgery to me.

So lay off on the water drinking for a day or two. That way you don't have to juggle the time or worry about the result.
    OK, how about if you lay off drinking any liquids for a day or two? I'm looking for some real advice here, if you don't have any real advice then no response is needed
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
    OK, how about if you lay off drinking any liquids for a day or two? I'm looking for some real advice here, if you don't have any real advice then no response is needed

Don't even attempt to dictate who will answer your questions. You're the one with the problem passing the EtG test, not me. I'm not on probation for a DUI. You are. Don't judge me and I won't judge you.

You don't want to hear it? That doesn't mean it's not advice.

Please quote where I said not to drink ANY liquids for a day or two. I'm reading that I said to pull back, not drink the same volume.

So - please show me what you are addressing.

If you don't want to appear to be diluting stop drinking the current volume which is normal/regular for you and drop to a level which is normal/regular for the rest of the world. OR use this as an excuse when you fail.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
    Actually, that's real advice. If you back off your H2O consumption you should have little to worry about.

Sep 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
    I'm not trying to dictate anything but apparently you are just trying to be inflammatory so have a nice day.

Sep 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Don't even attempt to dictate who will answer your questions. You're the one with the problem passing the etg test, not me. I'm not on probation for a DUI. You are. Don't judge me and I won't judge you.

You don't want to hear it? That doesn't mean it's not advice.

Please quote where I said not to drink ANY liquids for a day or two. I'm reading that I said to pull back, not drink the same volume.

So - please show me what you are addressing.

If you don't want to appear to be diluting stop drinking the current volume which is normal/regular for you and drop to a level which is normal/regular for the rest of the world. OR use this as an excuse when you fail.

Apparently you are just trying to be inflammatory so have a nice day.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Funny thing is that I am a medical professional. If you back off the water, no one told you to stop drinking completely, you wiil not risk dilution.

It's kind of funny how common sense works.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2012, 09:03 AM

Apparently passing an EtG test isn't your only problem - reading comprehension is another.

How about posting where I said to lay off drinking any liquids for a day or two?

Your attitude just met my attitude.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I pass a ETG test if I drank within 24 hours by diluting my urine? [ 6 Answers ]

Or is there any other way to pass it?

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

Will I pass my ETG test if I drank two 40z beers on Friday test is on Monday [ 2 Answers ]

I had 1 and 1/2 40 oz beers ( Thurs) finished at 2am Fri. Then drank the rest of the 1/2 40oz Friday finished at 4 pm.. Will I pass my EtG on Monday at 7pm?

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

View more questions Search