Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LSB12112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
    Dewormer overdose?
    Concerned because 6mo German shorthair pointer ate second sergeants vetscription dewormer pill for medium to large dogs over 25lbs. Pill that I bought and was in a basket on kitchen counter and he jumped up to reach anything he could grab and got the package and ate the pill. I'm worried of an overdoes because I previously gave him the same pill a week ago,after I wiped off something from his but that was clearish in color and the size of a piece of rice that moved. I was surprised when I saw it because we just completely all his puppy shots, tests, and check ups for everything including worms with my vet almost a month ago and everything was good and worming tests was negative.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 03:13 AM
    Your dog should be taken to the vet immediately if he has ingested an overdose of the drug. Overdose symptoms are drooling, weakness, twitching, staggering, head pressing and paralysis.

This is from the website E.How.com
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 03:13 AM
    Dewormer is usually very safe, if you still have the package insert it should give information about accidental overdose, if you don't have the insert you can always call the company and ask them.
    The clear-ish rice like thing was probably a tape worm and needs a dewormers that you will need to pick up from your vet, the routine deworming meds will not kill them.
    And over the counter dewormers are not as effective as the dewormers that you pick up at the vets' office.
    One of the key things about keeping the tapeworms away is flea control.
    Tapeworms are the result of an ingested flea, they are not necessarily dangerous but they are pretty gross.
    It is also not that surprising that it didn't show up on a fecal exam, tapeworms rarely do.
    Roundworms, hooks and whips are easily detected in fecal exams, for some reason tapes are not.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 03:18 AM
    I can attest to tapeworms being really gross. My cat brought one up a while ago, yes it was a tapeworm still moving. I had nightmares about that because I had to clean it up (still moving) in a paper towel of course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog ate dewormer [ 2 Answers ]

He is only about 5 lbs, 61/2 months old. He got into his bag, which had a supply of dewormer in it. He ate it all yesterday. Now today, he has diarehha, isn't eating much, and is acting funny.. Help! Is he all right?

Dewormer my pitbull an he stop eating [ 1 Answers ]

Dewormer my 17 month pitbull an he stop eating I don't know what to do .idon't have no money so help me

Possible overdose [ 1 Answers ]

I was having very bad neck and sholder pain and I have liquid vicodin and 400mg of iburpofen. I took both 2 400mg pills of ibuprofen and 25 ml of vicodin at the same time I'm worried that I may have harmed myself is this OK?

How can I tell if the dewormer I'm using for my kittens is working? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I tell if the dewormer I used on my kittens is working?

What type of over the counter dewormer is best [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new kitten today she is very sweet but she is very skinny I want to deworm her what type of over the counter medicine is best :)

View more questions Search