Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Snake In My Basement
    I found a small black snake in my basement today, a little larger than a nightcrawler. How can I make this thing come out in to the open and get rid of it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bredin01 View Post
    I found a small black snake in my basement today, a little larger than a nightcrawler. How can I make this thing come out in to the open and get rid of it?

You can use a hose to flush it out or wait until you see it again.

Sep 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You can use a hose to flush it out or wait until you see it again.
    Unfortunately there is too much stuff stored in the basement that could be damaged by using a hose...
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bredin01 View Post
    Unfortunately there is too much stuff stored in the basement that could be damaged by using a hose....

Then I think you either move things until it reappears or wait until it comes out by itself.

Sep 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Then I think you either move things until it reappears or wait until it comes out by itself.
    Do you know of anything I can use it to "attract" it out, and what is the best way to capture it?
    PapillonOne Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
    Why not let it stay and eat cockroaches and tiny mice? Not sure how to catch it but it is probably a black snake which is harmless. How many inches long is it, tiny right?
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PapillonOne View Post
    Why not let it stay and eat cockroaches and tiny mice? Not sure how to catch it but it is probably a black snake which is harmless. How many inches long is it, tiny right?

Probably because the little snake in the basement, eating cockroaches and tiny mice (I don't know where/how you live, but I don't have cockroaches and mice in my basement) will turn into a bigger snake eating cockroaches and bigger mice.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 17, 2012, 06:21 AM
    I don't like to kill snakes, who live on mice.
    But I understand your concern about the snake coming upstairs! You can buy all types of traps, or make your own out of a funnel - search YouTube.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
    If the snake is that small I would think that it is very likely that there are more brothers and sisters in proximity.
    There is a trap available with an extremely sticky surface that will trap them if they crawl across it. I believe it is fatal if they get stuck to it but don't know that for certain. I don't like to kill harmless snakes either but looking for them every time I go in the basement (or elsewhere in the house if they decide to travel) creates an unacceptable situation for most people.
    A professional varmint exterminator might be able to give an opinion on the likelihood of how many more might have access to the house.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
    If it worries you that much, either get an exterminator or try a rat glue trap, placing it where you saw the snake last. You need to look for holes in the walls to see where it got in.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I don't like to kill snakes, who live on mice.
    But I understand your concern about the snake coming upstairs! You can buy all types of traps, or make your own out of a funnel - search YouTube.

Note to self - be vigilant when visiting Joypulv.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 18, 2012, 10:03 PM
    Here is a good resource: Wildlife Damage Management. I learned from Snake-Removal.com that rodent urine is used in snake traps. I also learned that snakes are drawn to moist areas, from - NC State.

A glue trap seems much too cruel. (although I did see advice on the internet to use vegetable oil or cooking spray to pour over a stuck snake, to dissolve the glue)

Look for a pest control company that can live trap a snake. You might get advice from your local animal control dept, game warden, fish & game biologist, or agriculture dept.

I like the funnel trap idea. Apparently snakes like to crawl beside walls or vertical surfaces, so traps are placed there. You do have to consider whether your snake is poisonous, because how are you going to deal with a captured live snake? There is a video on Youtube about building a funnel trap: How to make a snake trap - YouTube

Here's an idea: Seal off all the entry points into your basement - with door thresholds, weatherstripping, screens on vents/drains, expandable foam, etc. but leave one hole open where the snake can sneak out. Sprinkle a layer of flour on the outside at that last open exit. During the day turn off all the lights, (make it dark inside). A diurnal snake might move towards the light. During the night turn on all the lights in the basement. A nocturnal species might move towards the air movement coming from the hole. Check the flour; you might see the snake's tracks, and when you do, close off that last exit. If this doesn't work, at least you will have made your basement more vermin-proof.

To handle a live snake... If you aren't brave or foolish, buy a Catch Pole or Make your own catch pole. Snake tongs are available from Tomahawk Traps

I'd be wary of staying at Papillon's house!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If you put a boa snake and a king snake in the same tank? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a boa but don't have anothr tank so I have no choice of putting it in the same tank as my king snake they are both females would they fight?

Basement floor drain backs up - where to snake? [ 2 Answers ]

The floor drain at the low point in basement is backing up when we do laundry. The floor drain is only about 5 feet from the tub where the washing machine empties. (We do use a mesh sock over the spout as it empties the washing machine into the sink to help keep junk out of the drain.) In picture...

Snake [ 8 Answers ]

How do I get ghosts to come to my home

An orange small snake and then a big green snake that swallowed her right leg [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter of 7 years dreamed that my mother-in-law had a bookshop. My husband and I where in there as well. She saw an orange small snake and we will all scared of it but then there where an big green snake that swallowed her right leg. When she asked me to help her I answered that I couldn't.

Found skin in basement - where's snake at? [ 2 Answers ]

HELP - :eek: The other night while in our basemenets "coal bin" I happened to look up and over to the right and seen a snake skin up on the subfloor (?) :confused: of the floor above - rafters - :confused: whatever you want to call it. :eek: Needless to say I am terrified of any snake - even a...

View more questions Search