Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prasada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
    h1b visa eligibility for masters degree done in online in india
    Hi I did my masters through online course in India.So am I eligible to apply for H1 b visa.Please help me out from this dilemma.Thanks in advance
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prasada View Post
    Hi i did my masters through online course in India.So am i eligible to apply for H1 b visa.Please help me out from this dilemma.Thanks in advance
    H1B is a work visa. Do you have employment in the US? INDIVIDUALS are not eligible to apply.

"The US H1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields such as in architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, and medicine. Under the visa a US company can employ a foreign worker for up to six years.

Applying for a non-immigrant visa is generally quicker than applying for a US Green Card, therefore the H-1B visa is popular for companies wishing to bring in staff for long-term assignment in the US.

Individuals are not able to apply for an H1B visa to allow them to work in the US. The employer must petition for entry of the employee. H1B visas are subject to annual numerical limits. US employers can begin applying for the H-1B visa six months before the actual start date of the visa. Employers can apply as soon as April 2, 2012 for the FY 2013 cap, but the beneficiary cannot start work until October 1, 2012."

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_h1b.htm

Current immigration law allows for a total of 85,000 new H-1B visas to be made available each government fiscal year. This number includes 65,000 new H-1B visas issued for overseas workers in professional or specialty occupation positions, and an additional 20,000 visas available for those with an advanced degree from a US academic institution. Once the visa cap has been reached, USCIS will stop accepting H-1B petitions for FY 2013 and will not accept new applications until April 2013."
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prasada View Post
    Hi i did my masters through online course in India.So am i eligible to apply for H1 b visa.Please help me out from this dilemma.Thanks in advance

The H1b visa is available to employers. Employees/individuals CANNOT apply. Have you been hired in the US?

"Individuals are not able to apply for an H1B visa to allow them to work in the US. The employer must petition for entry of the employee. H1B visas are subject to annual numerical limits. US employers can begin applying for the H-1B visa six months before the actual start date of the visa. Employers can apply as soon as April 2, 2012 for the FY 2013 cap, but the beneficiary cannot start work until October 1, 2012."

Workpermit.com - Immigration - US - H-1B visa

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inexpensive university that offers online masters degree program in telecommunication [ 2 Answers ]

Do you know of any inexpensive university that offers genuine masters degree program in telecommunication?

How to apply h1b visa from india [ 1 Answers ]

I have question I am into animation field is there any chance me to apply h1 visa

Tax payable in US from online income in India for an H1B visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on an H1B visa in the US. If I have additional income from online consultancy work that is being generated in India that is subject to TDS (tax deducted at source) in India, do I have to report that income to the IRS here in the US for tax purposes? Thanks

When can I apply for H1B Visa from India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My question is related to when I can apply for H1B Visa from India, as I have some information that there are H1B visa lot for every year and this year it has been filled. Do you know when is it going to open again for me to apply? Thanks for all your help and assistance.

View more questions Search