Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyone23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Grants for Widows
    I lost my husband a couple years ago and now I have lost my home and am homeless with 2 older children still living at home Do you know of any resources that can help me? I really don't want my children to be in a shelter.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyone23 View Post
    I lost my husband a couple years ago and now I have lost my home and am homeless with 2 older children still living at home Do you know of any resources that can help me? I really don't want my children to be in a shelter.

Where? If you are in the US have you applied for SS benefits? Do you work?

Sep 5, 2012, 05:09 PM
    My husband worked for the County Sheriff's department and I received the lump sum payout at that time. I used that money to pay for my home and expenses for my children as much as possible over the last couple of years. At the time of his passing, I was only working part time. I am degreed and have been doing consulting but have not had work for over 6 months now. My last child was just cut off from her social security because she turned 18. Although it was a difficult year, she made it through at a blue ribbon school district and is now in her first year of college thanks to scholarships and grants but she still needs clothes, books, etc and I just don't have it. I was married for 23 years and was a widow at an early age. I am so depressed now. Many places won't help because my children are older or they want to separate my son and place him because he is male. I cannot divide my family. We bind together. I live in the suburban Chicagoland area. I was just perusing the internet and saw this site-don't know what else to do. I have always been the one to help others and now we are alone. Thank you so much for listening and trying to help.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 05:13 PM
    I'm in suburban Chicago. Have you called Catholic Charities or Lutheran Social Services?
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 05:37 PM
    My husband worked for the County Sheriff's department and I received the lump sum payout at that time. I used that money to pay for my home and expenses for my children as much as possible over the last couple of years. At the time of his passing, I was only working part time. I am degreed and have been doing consulting but have not had work for over 6 months now. My last child was just cut off from her social security because she turned 18. Although it was a difficult year, she made it through at a blue ribbon school district and is now in her first year of college thanks to scholarships and grants but she still needs clothes, books, etc and I just don't have it. I was married for 23 years and was a widow at an early age. I am so depressed now. Many places won't help because my children are older or they want to separate my son and place him because he is male. I cannot divide my family. We bind together. I live in the suburban Chicagoland area. I was just perusing the internet and saw this site-don't know what else to do. I have always been the one to help others and now we are alone. Thank you so much for listening and trying to help.

They are independent, not part of the SS system?

This makes my heart ache - I agree with WG - Catholic Charities, some other group? Does the Sheriff's Department have an association which could help you?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Go to your local public library and ask at the reference desk for either the Cook or DuPage County social services directory. The librarian will help you sort through services and may have additional ideas and resources for you.

If this doesn't work for you, let me know. I have 30 years' experience in suburban Chicago libraries.
    adjblessing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Thanks ladies. As a matter of fact, I am at the library now. :) I have contacted Catholic Charities but they have no funding for anything. A lot of the places send you to food pantries which can be helpful but I don't have anywhere to cook. I was staying with my sister in a one bedroom but her lease was at risk because of occupancy and I would never put her in a bad situation so we left. I will check with Lutheran Social Services tomorrow. DuPage County didn't really have anything either unless I had small children or was a victim of domestic violence. I never imagined it would be so hard! I am going to call the County Board tomorrow
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adjblessing View Post
    Thanks ladies. As a matter of fact, I am at the library now. :) I have contacted Catholic Charities but they have no funding for anything. A lot of the places send you to food pantries which can be helpful but I don't have anywhere to cook. I was staying with my sister in a one bedroom but her lease was at risk because of occupancy and I would never put her in a bad situation so we left. I will check with Lutheran Social Services tomorrow. DuPage County didn't really have anything either unless I had small children or was a victim of domestic violence. I never imagined it would be so hard! I am going to call the County Board tomorrow

Are you one person with 2 user names?

Sep 6, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Yes. I'm sorry. I have 2 email addresses - one is strictly for business and I'm new to this site. I made a mistake and signed in with my personal email . Initially I was reluctant because I have never posted on a forum or anything. I sincerely appreciate all the support. I'm at my wits end. Now my daughter needs her books and I have no idea how she is going to get them. I'm just staying prayerful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 07:08 PM
    The child ( actually a adult) in college may have to change to part time and get their own job, many people have to pay all of their own ways though school

In worst case there are family shelters where people get a new start.

Sep 7, 2012, 06:53 AM
    My child in college did receive financial aid and scholarships and she has to remain full time to keep her benefit amounts. Also, family shelters are full or only allow you to come at night but that program starts mid October .
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 10:05 AM
    My child in college did receive financial aid and scholarships and she has to remain full time to keep her benefit amounts. Also, family shelters are full or only allow you to come at night but that program starts mid October .

The County Sheriff's Department is unable/unwilling to help? I'm surprised there's no benevolent association.

Sep 8, 2012, 10:10 AM
    No. I spoke back to them and they said they have no resources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Widows Pension [ 4 Answers ]

I became a widow at age 39 and received an allowance because I had a minor son. He was cut off his benefits by age 18 and I was cut off before he turned 18. Can someone tell me if now that I am 55 years of age can I collect a widow's pension or do I have to wait until age 60. Also, is there chance...

Widows pension? [ 1 Answers ]

If I remarry, can I still get Social Security from my ex husband?

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Grants for widows in financial needs [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my husband to cancer and I have medical bills I can't cover is there help out there for that

Widows pension [ 1 Answers ]

I will be 60 in Nov... My husband died in Dec. 2007 after a long illness of which he was collecting SS disability... will I be able to get widows penision? How many years does it last? I have recently lost my job and have several more months of unemployment... will that affect either benefit??

View more questions Search