Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjones929 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Bringing down swelling from an abscess
    I have a abscess tooth and can't afford to go to a dentist. Is there any over the counter remedy that I can use to bring the swelling down and kill the infection. I found online that oil of clove can be used. However its only good for the pain. I need something to bring the infection down. Any suggestion is welcome.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 02:40 PM

Warm salt water rinses every couple of hours. Good and salty.Dont rinse after you use it.Do not apply heat to the abscess it just makes it worse.

I am not a medical professional but I have resorted to this myself before.
    rjones929 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Warm salt water rinses every couple of hours. Good and salty.Dont rinse after you use it.Do not apply heat to the abscess it just makes it worse.

I am not a medical professional but I have resorted to this myself before.
    How long should I wait before drinking anything?
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Apr 3, 2009, 08:16 PM

The tooth was always be infected and needs extraction or root canal... an extraction at a dental school will cost less than 100$.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir1981 View Post
    The tooth was always be infected and needs extraction or root canal...an extraction at a dental school will cost less than 100$.
    I agree totally .I did not mean to give the impression that this should be considered a cure.

I should have specified that this is for swelling and you can drink a few seconds after just don't swallow it ,rinse your mouth.Then have a drink.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 04:32 AM

You should get the tooth removed as soon as you can. An abscess can affect you systemically with the absolute worse case scenerio being death. You need an antibiotic to clear the infection up if nothing else.
    Good luck!
    trisjosh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
    Peroxide help also ice packs & ibuprofen. But, I agree nothing helps like an antibiotic. Go to your local health dept. and they may give you and antibiotic until you can afford to get it removed/root canal. The antibiotic only helps for a couple of months though but will ease the pain and take the swelling down.
    trisjosh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
    With the peroxide just gargle it around the tooth a few times a day
    mel87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 04:46 AM
    I've had an abscess many times and haven't went to a dentist much for it and never got surgery.
    To make the swelling go down heat a towel are cloth (make sure it isn't melting hot) and lay down on it make sure its where the abscess is.
    Antibiotic.
    Drink hot soap! Really works is settles the pain.
    Take a tablet as soon as you feel it about to start you really don't want to wait till its greats worse if the pain gets worse it will go up more.
    But if it gets worse please see the dentist even if its just the swelling moving up.

I get them maybe 3 times a year this does work trust me.
    jennifer2531 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
    What if we clean the tooth like we normal would and then brust that tooth that has the absess with proxide and take tylonal will that bring the swelling downa and take the pain away as wella s using the warm salt water?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth abscess [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: I have a tooth abscess that I accidentally discovered was draining pus. I do not have any pain, but seems to be old draining abscess. What should I do??

Tooth abscess. [ 19 Answers ]

I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an x-ray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's...

Abscess recurrence [ 1 Answers ]

I had an abscess on a biscupid tooth due to nerve damage cuased by deep filling. I am abroad so haven't signed up with/visited a Dentist. I took some antibiotics and they worked, but now I am scared the abscess will return before I go home. How long do abscesses usually take to reccur after...

Tooth Abscess [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Ease Pain Of A Tooth Abscess,taking Painkillers And Antibiotics, But Still Hurts Like Hell.

View more questions Search