Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redstarlette6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Quit Claim Deed, Releases Financial Liability?
    Hi, My ex and I own property together in another state. We bought the property, built a house and intended to sell it for more than the land and construction cost. After divorcing he wants to keep the house and I just want out. He intends to buy me out for a small amount, considering that there is much debt on the house. He sent me a quit claim deed to sign and said that it takes my name off the title. This is all well and fine but I don't want to be held accountable for any financial stuff. The quit claim deed does nothing to relinquish financial liability does it? I don't want to sign something to be bitten in the behind later. Also, what does being bought out for a small amount do to my taxes for next year?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
    You are correct about the quit claim not releasing you from other debts. If your name is on the mortgage it will still be thgere after the deed change. You are clearly thinking ahead because you would still be partially responsible for at least a partial years property tax if you are still on the deed and mortgage. Ask him to first remove you from the mortgage, this will require paperwork with the mortgage holder and you might be wise to have an attorney handle this for you, its like a closing and just as important.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
    You are correct the quit claim deed only gives ownership of the property to him. He will need to get a new loan and pay off the old loan to take you off the mortgage.

The mortgage company will hold you liable for the debt until the mortgage is paid off.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 15, 2007, 11:25 AM
    As the two previous posts have pointed out, you will still have a legal liability on the mortgage. Many people get divorced with the family residence and mortgage debt assigned to one party. Many mortgages have no provision for a release of liability of one of the co-mortgagors, and in many cases spouse who was awarded the home cannot or chooses not to refinance the mortgage. The following is how FNMA (the 800 lb gorilla) views "Contingent Liability". Sec 402.02B: "Property settlement "buy-out". When a borrower interest in a property is "bought-out" by another c0-owner of the property (as often happens in a divorce settlement), but the lender does not release the borrower from liability under the mortgage, the borrower has a contingent liability. We will not require that this contingent liability be considered as a part of the borrower's recurring monthly debt obligations--as long as the lender obtains documentation to confirm the transfer of title to the property."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit claim deed [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home in Ohio with my now ex fiancé. During our split up I signed a quit claim deed. I signed this (while listening to him and his grandmother) thinking it takes me off the loan too. Come to find out I am still financially responsible for the payments on the house. Do I have any...

Quit Claim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Can I quitclaim deed my property over to my mother if I have not paid off the house? If so, can she simply take over the payments? How will this show on her credit and my credit report? If she is ever late, who is in default with a quitclaim deed? Please respond??

Post Quit Claim Financial Liability [ 1 Answers ]

My Husband and I signed with my sister and her husband for a mortgage for them to buy their house. We are al on the deed and the mortgage. My sister's husband has made it clear that he does not want to pay any more taxes to the government. (He sold his business last year). They have now purchased...

Quit Claim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I recently took my fiance's name off the deed to my house using a Quit Claim Deed. Palm Beach County stepped in and re-assessed the value of my home because they said it constituted a sale. I thought a Quit Claim Deed basically is a transfer of interest and does not constitute a sale. Please advise!

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search