Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tasha1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Why is my puppy eating her own poo
    Please could anyone help me my puppy is 10 weeks old and I have noticed over the past few days she has poo ed in the house she has ate it she is very clean and only done it a few times I think but I feed her on iams and feed her twice a day I no she is healthy in her self as we were at the vet this week I would be very grateful for any advise thank you
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 05:35 PM
    What you are describing is called Corprophagia, and the theories as to why some dogs do this range from nutritional deficiencies to stress to boredom. First I would make sure she is eating a high-quality puppy food that meets her needs. Speak with your Vet about the problem and the diet. There are a couple things you can try.
    1-Behavior modification-there are some folks here who can give you better behavior advice than myself and I'm sure they will be along soon.
    2-There are products that are made for this, basically it makes the poo so distasteful it deters them from another helping. Your Vet may even carry a trusted one at his office.

There are some home-remedies, but please, don't resort to any of those until you consult a Vet about their safety.
    In the mean time try to make sure you keep her BMs cleaned up so she doesn't have access to them.
    Given that she is only 10 weeks old you should stand a good chance changing things with some good behavior advice.
    Good Luck with your little one.

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 05:44 PM

I've had two dogs that have done this, both working dogs (bred to hunt).

I don't want to disparage Lady Sam's post, because it's valid, but another theory as to why dogs eat their poo, is the hunting instinct.

Poo smells. A hunter has to make sure that the prey doesn't smell them. Eating the poo to avoid detection is a fix for that problem.

What breed is your puppy?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 12, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Third thought... you said she is a clean dog. Eating one's own poo, especially when done in a crate, is a rather extreme method of keeping things cleaned up. Given the opportunity, most dogs will not go in their crate, but if it has to happen, some of the most fastidious will eat it if only to get rid of it.

Some flavor enhancers, garlic especially (usually added by the manufacturer, along with other flavors), will often be enough to entice another dog to sample it. And some breeds, (Great Pyrenees, for example) are especially adept at developing this habit.

In your case, I suggest you go to great lengths to keep her exercised sufficiently that she doesn't have to go in her crate. Maybe varying her feeding time to allow time to potty before an extended period in the crate. A dog such as yours that doesn't take the opportunity to do this, other than in certain circumstances, probably isn't going to continue it into adulthood.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 12, 2011, 07:42 PM
    I'm sorry... I didn't notice she wasn't crated at the time. The idea of cleanliness also carries through to all of her environment, which is also your house. Dogs having free access to the whole home will spend most of their time is certain rooms, usually where the family is also found. Other areas of the house are usually where the dog will go to relieve itself when it becomes 'necessary'.

Another examples of this are dogs that freely go to certain areas of their yard, or even the neighbor's yard, to relieve themselves. You won't find the dogs in these special areas for any other reason.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 10:43 PM

A lot of puppies will do this and a lot of puppies eventually grow out of it.
    Best thing you can do is just pick it up as quick as you can before she gets a chance.

My youngest here used to pick his up and come running into the living room, start throwing it around and playing with it, thank goodness he grew out of that one.
    emma l smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
    I Have a 4 month old german shephard who eats what's he poops.
    Best thing to do is stand and watch him (discusting to watch YE I know... but as he goes for it just a sharp NO then pick it up and drop in bin.

Also try when feeding chop up into very small chunks a Pineapple, your dog will eat if chopted up small and mixed with its normal food, when your dog does its number 2... it will smell real bad even the dog will walk away ( this is no mith it really does work )

Last result go to your local pet shop they should have a tablet you put into food that makes the poop taste nasty to the dog.

Good luck x
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 06:44 AM

Meat tenderizer (a little sprinkled on her food) or pineapple(if they will eat it) will help in making the poop taste awful to the pup, imagine that, poop not tasting bad enough :)

You have gotten great advice so far, there isn't much more I can add. The best way to avoid him from eating it is to pick it up right away.

Another reason dogs eat their own feces is if they are lacking nutrients, or not being fed enough. I echo Lady Sam's advice about the high quality puppy chow, I prefer holistic foods, Blue Buffalo is great, reasonable priced holistic food found in the U.S. Another member Lucky might have another brand she can recommend as she is in the states as well and our brands tend to differ.
    erikasweird Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
    My puppy, 4 months old and a Catahoula shephard also eats her own poop. I feed her 1.5 cup a day total, 2 times of "Beneful Healthy Growth for puppy". She is crate trained, but insists on eating her feces as if she hasn't eaten in years. I've noticed she only does this inside. Not sure if this changes any answers that were given.
    Pets Expert

Aug 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erikasweird View Post
    My puppy, 4 months old and a Catahoula shephard also eats her own poop. I feed her 1.5 cup a day total, 2 times of "Beneful Healthy Growth for puppy". She is crate trained, but insists on eating her feces as if she hasnt eaten in years. I've noticed she only does this inside. Not sure if this changes any answers that were given.
    It doesn't. Dogs will eat their own poo because they're dogs. If you read about dogs in the wild, you'll understand why.

The main question with your post is why you're leaving the poo, instead of cleaning it up, long enough for her to eat it?

Aug 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    It doesn't. Dogs will eat their own poo because they're dogs. If you read about dogs in the wild, you'll understand why.

The main question with your post is why you're leaving the poo, instead of cleaning it up, long enough for her to eat it?
    I am not... she does it right

Aug 27, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erikasweird View Post
    I am not...she does it right
    Right away*
    Pets Expert

Aug 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
    So you understand why dogs eat their own feces?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy Won't Poo! [ 3 Answers ]

I feed my puppy 4 times a day. 7, 11, 3,7. I only give the amount recommended for her. I also give her water with and between meals. The problem is she poops like 3 1/2 hours after she eats! Is this normal? I thought puppies were suppose to poop within an hour. She is only 8 1/2 weeks. Is she...

How do I stop my 9 week old puppy from eating its own poo? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I stop my 9 week old puppy eating its own poo?

Puppy Poo [ 4 Answers ]

Our puppy has been having blood in his stool ? Could you please tell me why ,or what might be causing the promble. He is eatting and drinking well.

Eating Poo [ 1 Answers ]

We have recently bought a black labrador and he is now 10 weeks old. He has a lovely temperament, but in the last few nights he has developed a habit of eating his own faeces during the night and then vomiting it back up. Can anyone offer an explanation to why he does this, or any advice on how...

Puppy eats own poo [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 week old puppy is tarting to eat her own poo why and how can I stop it

View more questions Search