Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobsleder Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 08:28 AM
    How to insert a y connection in a fixed pipe
    I am moving a toilet in my basement far away from the main stack against the foundation wall where it used to be connected to.

Can I convert a typical basement sewer drain (4 inch PVC) near the furnace to a toilet waste return. I was told that since it would have a P-trap somewhere underground, the toilet would not flow properly through that setup. I'm not interested Code compliance, perfection or guarantee's, just if it would likely work satisfactorily in a pinch because if not, I need to break 20 feet of concrete and wreck a tiled floor to get at the proper stack.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Can I convert a typical basement sewer drain (4 inch PVC)
    If this is a 4" floor drain the answer's yes, You can remove the old floor drain (and trap if it's separate , but as a rule floor drains have built in traps) and replace with a closet bend. However, You might have to end up venting the toilet if you have problems. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Insert a "Y" in Horizontal position or in vertical. Make big difference. Horizontal would be an easy job. Let us know. Milo

Aug 24, 2012, 04:52 AM
    In this case it's a horizontal 4" PCV off the main vertical stack. But while I have your attention, what do you do in either case vertical or horizontal when both ends of the pipe are permanently fixed and can't be bent or moved up or down, left or right. How do you add a fitting T or Y inside that closed system.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Boy! Have I ever missed something. This was the question,
    Can I convert a typical basement sewer drain (4 inch PVC)
    No mention of a wye except in the title and not tied back to the question.
    Milo saw a tie in and Bobsleder answered back. Now we're talking about vertical or horizontal wyes whit both ends of the pipes fixed.
    I have a few questions,
    1- What ever happened to the floor drain you were going to convert to a toilet?
    2- Milo came out about a wye. What did he see that I missed?
    3- What's with the wye? Did you now decide to follow code and vent the toilet?
    Inquiring minds want to know! Cheers, Tom

Aug 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
    Hi Tom, was having a moment of dyslexic brain waves when I wrote the question. I really had 3 questions. One was if I could use the sewer drain for a toilet, the other was how the heck to add plastic fittings to existing pipe that is fixed at both ends, and finally, how the heck to align a shower base with the 2 inch drain pipe perfectly, cause there doesn't seem to be any room for error.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2012, 07:15 AM
    In this case it's a horizontal 4" PCV off the main vertical stack. But while I have your attention, what do you do in either case vertical or horizontal when both ends of the pipe are permanently fixed and can't be bent or moved up or down, left or right. How do you add a fitting T or Y inside that closed system.
    No problem!
    Purchase a Street Wye and two 4" Shielded Metal Coupling. (see image)You will also need PVC Cement and primer.
    Cut a piece of 4" PVC 6inches long and prime and glue the piece in the run of the wye. Measure between the two ends and add 1/4". That will be your cut,
    You may now make your cut and secure both ends with the metal couplings.
    NOTE! Give the branch of the wye about a quarter bubble of fall on your level. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Aug 24, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Thanks Tom, I presume you have to slide the rubber coupling up the pipe and out of the way and then insert the new parts, and then slide the coupling over the two cut ends of the main and tighten with screwdriver.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2012, 07:34 AM
    I presume you have to slide the rubber coupling up the pipe and out of the way and then insert the new parts, and then slide the coupling over the two cut ends of the main and tighten with screwdriver.
    OK! Here's how it goes. Slide the metal bands on first now the rubbers, Roll back half of the rubbers and insert the wye. I added a quarter inch for the rubbers to match up.
    Snap the rubbers down and tighten the clamps. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair small leak in sewer drain pipe at connection of pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet drain pipe has a small leak where two pipes connect. Is there a way I can repair the connection leak without taking the connection apart?

What is the difference between pipe glued connection and solvent welded connection [ 2 Answers ]

Like the title. I wondering what's the difference between glued connection and solvent welded connection. If anyone knows, please give a detailed description, and how about hub and socket connections with the above two connections?

Fixed Pipe but still no water [ 4 Answers ]

We had a leaky pipe from our water main. We turned off the water fixed the pipe and let it sit over night to make sure it was set. We turned the water back on at the main this morning be we aren't getting any water back in the house. What happened? What can we check? Should we have had...

View more questions Search