Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    she4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
    We built a bathroom in basement and the pump makes a loud thump noise
    We had a bathroom built in our basement. The inspector told me the pump was huge and overkill for the one bathroom but it passed. When you're in the shower you here a loud bang that sounds like someone banged on the wall really loud. Went around to the pump and when the water runs for a while you here it swish through the pipes all at one and then there is a loud bang that actually shakes the wall that the shower is on. Is this normal? I am worried since I fired my contractor for numerous reasons including using an unlicensed plumber.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
    Hi She4

Well, to a point, it is very normal. Here, what you hear is the CHECK VALVE flapper falling back into place once the waste has been pumped up. The check valve keeps the sewage that gets pumped up from falling back into the ejector pit, so it is needed and unfortunately they can be noisy.

Alternatives in this case could be to have the check valve installed higher up the pipe... higher usually equals less noise, installing the check valve on a horizontal section of the pump discharge line (properly oriented) could also help reduce the noise, and finally, another alternative would be to have your clunky check valve replaced with the SILENCER check valve.

Check thesilencer check valve out @ 2" Silencer Sump Pump Check Valve - True Union Swing | Plumbsource.net

I attached a picture below for reference.

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have questions, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continuous thumping noise after flushing toilet. Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump! [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 3 year old house and when we flush any of the 3 toilets, there is now a continuing thumping noise that is coming from inside the water heater closet in the garage. There is a water pressure adjuster screw in one of the copper water lines, and I tried to adjust it, however, either the...

Bathroom cold tap makes a loud noise when turned on [ 3 Answers ]

Hope some one can help. I have just had a new main pipe laid through my driveway due to a leak. Now when I turn on the cold tap on in the bathroom it makes a loud thumping noise, but not all the time and not always the 1st time I turn the tap on. This morning I turned it on and it was fine and then...

Ejection pump makes a loud noise when it ejects [ 1 Answers ]

When the ejection pump is ejecting water/waste from the pit, it makes a loud clunking noise upon completion of pump cycle. Could there be air in the line or is there something else.

GE Washer makes loud noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older GE washer (about 5-7 years old) that has started making a loud, dry metallic grinding sound when running. I had to replace the clutch about 4 years ago and recently the clip that holds it in place came loose and I had to snap it back in place. The washer worked fine for a few...

Basement Bathroom Sink Makes Loud Sucking Noise [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my bottom level bathroom sink (three story town house). When no water is running (or even when it is running) there is a sucking sound coming out of the drain. It is loud enough that you can hear it in the hallway when walking by or near the bathroom. Can you tell...

View more questions Search