Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vaniaobregon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Uneven Hair Coloring due to primarily grey roots
    Hi, I am a first timer and I hope you can help. After the recent birth of my son, I unfortunately had to cut back on some expensives which included my hair stylist and I have been dying my hair on my own with the help of my mom. I have been dying my hair with Ion Color Brilliance Permanent Liquid Hair Color in Light Golden Brown (I have had to play with different shades to get the correct shade) My problem is that I have "ALOT" of grey roots and the hair color does not stick leaving my roots much lighter than the rest of my hair. I have tried using those packets of Grey Magic to help get the color to stick and it doesn't work. I also tend to get red tones so I use the packets of red gold corrector. What can I do so that I can get even haircolor from my grey roots to the tips. PLEASE Help, thanks.! :)
    CaliHairGoddess Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vaniaobregon
    Hi, i am a first timer and I hope you can help. After the recent birth of my son, I unfortunately had to cut back on some expensives which included my hair stylist and I have been dying my hair on my own with the help of my mom. I have been dying my hair with Ion Color Brilliance Permanent Liquid Hair Color in Light Golden Brown (I have had to play with different shades to get the correct shade) My problem is that I have "ALOT" of grey roots and the hair color does not stick leaving my roots much lighter than the rest of my hair. I have tried using those packets of Grey Magic to help get the color to stick and it doesn't work. I also tend to get red tones so I use the packets of red gold corrector. What can I do so that I can get even haircolor from my grey roots to the tips. PLEASE Help, thanks.!!!:)
    Hi there!
    Can you give me numbers/letters of the color(s) you are using & also the % of peroxide? I can give you a much better response if I have this...

Take Care,
    Ericka

Oct 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I used Ion COlor Brillance Permanent Liquid COlor in Light Golden Brown 5G-5.3 with 10% peroxide. I do my roots first and on the last 5 minuets before the wash I put what's left in the rest of my hair.

Oct 23, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Ok, the reason the color isn't "sticking" to your roots is because you need 20 vol. peroxide there. Grey cannot be covered without 20 vol. peroxide.
    Second, the red is present at your result because at a level 5 hair color (which is the color level you choose) red is the remaining pigment. Which means if you don't want a red undertone, you need to pick a color that is a "Natural" series or mix in some "ash" based color to cancel it. A level 5G is definitely going to give you a warm (red) result.
    Last, your ends are not going to need the 20 vol. formula that you start with on your roots. They are a totally different issue. It's hard for me to tell you what to put on the ends without seeing and feeling it. The best advice I can give you is to take the remaining solution from your roots, add an ounce or so of good hair conditioner to the mix and apply it to your ends for the last 5 min. or so. The conditioner will "cut" the peroxide and just refresh the color for you. The last thing we want to do is cause any damage to your ends.

Hope this helps you!

Dec 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vaniaobregon
    Hi, i am a first timer and I hope you can help. After the recent birth of my son, I unfortunately had to cut back on some expensives which included my hair stylist and I have been dying my hair on my own with the help of my mom. I have been dying my hair with Ion Color Brilliance Permanent Liquid Hair Color in Light Golden Brown (I have had to play with different shades to get the correct shade) My problem is that I have "ALOT" of grey roots and the hair color does not stick leaving my roots much lighter than the rest of my hair. I have tried using those packets of Grey Magic to help get the color to stick and it doesn't work. I also tend to get red tones so I use the packets of red gold corrector. What can I do so that I can get even haircolor from my grey roots to the tips. PLEASE Help, thanks.!!!:)
    Hi Ericka, I tried your recommendations listed above and my roots still came out lighter. Any suggestions?

Dec 17, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliHairGoddess
    Ok, the reason the color isn't "sticking" to your roots is because you need 20 vol. peroxide there. Grey cannot be covered without 20 vol. peroxide.
    Second, the red is present at your end result because at a level 5 hair color (which is the color level you choose) red is the remaining pigment. Which means if you don't want a red undertone, you need to pick a color that is a "Natural" series or mix in some "ash" based color to cancel it. A level 5G is definitely going to give you a warm (red) result.
    Last, your ends are not going to need the 20 vol. formula that you start with on your roots. They are a totally different issue. It's hard for me to tell you what to put on the ends without seeing and feeling it. The best advice I can give you is to take the remaining solution from your roots, add an ounce or so of good hair conditioner to the mix and apply it to your ends for the last 5 min. or so. The conditioner will "cut" the peroxide and just refresh the color for you. The last thing we want to do is cause any damage to your ends.

Hope this helps you!

Hi Ericka, I tried your suggestion above and I still had an uneven tone from my roots to the ends, any suggestions...

Dec 18, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Hi again! Ok, my next ? Is this... are the roots just than the rest or is the color truly not "taking" on the roots? My thought is that maybe the color at the root area is the "true" color from the bottle and the rest of your hair has a residual color build-up on it from the repeated processes. I see this a lot in the salon from Guests who have been coloring their hair at home. The less expensive, store bought haircolor tends to have ingredients in it that build-up on the hair shaft. After I hear your thoughts on this theory I can access the situation better. Hope to hear from you soon~Ericka~
    Carol Dark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
    I, too, am using the ION brand hair color. I use a 20 volume developer but my roots are still lighter than the rest of my hair even when I do not color my ends. Should I go to a 10 developer on new growth?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grey hair? [ 6 Answers ]

I decided that I was sick of having roots show so I wanted to dye my bleached blonde hair to the color at my roots (dusty blonde). I can't afford to go to a color stylist at the moment but I figured since I'd be going darker (and matching to my scalp color) it'd be an easy process. I chose the...

Hair Coloring - Dying auburn hair with grey roots [ 2 Answers ]

Any advice for dying already dyed auburn hair with massive grey roots. I heard that using an ash color will diminish the brassiness.

Roots in grey water pit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cottage with a grey water pit for the shower. The pit is clean, it is about 5 feet by 5 feet by 5 feet deep filled with 2 -3 inch stone and landscaping fabric to stop the leaves and grass but there are roots that get in there and plug off the effluent pipe. I am OK for a year of two but...

Uneven at-home hair color [ 2 Answers ]

I have naturally black hair. Yesterday on a whim, I decided I wanted to go red. So I went and bought L'Oreal Feria hair color in "Ruby Rush", which is one of their Power Reds shade, formulated specifically for darker hair. The color shows, and I love it... the problem is, it only shows on my...

Growing out grey hair [ 1 Answers ]

I am 61 and have been colouring my hair for several years. I want to let the natural grey grow in. The colour I have been using on my hair is a lighter reddish-brown than my natural hair colour. My hair is medium length (above my shoulders) and wavy with a tendency to frizz. I have read that using...

View more questions Search