Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccanupii Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Ceiling Fan Reverse Switch
    I have seen a few topics on this so far but I am unable to find the answer to my question. I know the reverse switch is faulty but I am not able to return the fan as it is out of warranty. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement switch to install?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Go to an electrical lighting store. I've picked them up there. Lowe's use to stock them but haven't looked lately
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 07:22 PM
    This is very recent response I got from CeilingFanParts.com Home

The RVSS6 has 6 wires attached but we do have 3 wire and 4 wire reverse switches and we do have some that are controlled with a pull chain. People are instructed to call if they cannot find what they need. We have too many parts to list on the website.

I managed to use a slide switch from Radio Shack which does not have the tapped holes. I used a tapped 4-40 standoff for the top nut. I wanted it fixed too fast and that method is a lot of work. Both Lowe's and Home Depot nada. Lighting store, nada.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 07:54 AM
    I see many people here reversing direction as often as they turn on their fan. Mine always blow down(although I know in winter it is to blow up). You could bypass switch If only one direction needed until you locate correct switch. You may have 4 wires to deal with. Reversing the connections with the 2 pair(pair to motor with pair from speed switch.
    They are wired like a polarity switch(Crossing the outer 4 connections on the DPDT direction switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 12:11 PM
    All you need is a DPDT switch, available at any electronics store. It should be rated for 120vAC and at least 2 amps. I've seen them sold at Lowe's as well in the ceiling fan parts department.

Ceiling fan parts - Ceiling Fans N More
    saavedraa Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 08:28 AM
    I don't know the brand of my ceiling fan and need to bypass the reverse switch (Broken.. ) and connect the wires for counter-clockwise rotation until I find another switch.
    The switch has a blue and a white cross wires at the buttom and four wires coming out of it: Black(Center), Red(Center), Blue (Top Left) and White (Bottom Left). Do you know which ones go together?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Remove wires from switch, and connect Black to Blue, and red to white for 1 direction, and Black to White, and Red to Blue for the other direction.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
    ... 1 2 3
    UP... Down (terminal view)
    ... 4 5 6

Most use a slide switch arranged like above. In the pic, the terminals are arbitrary. One and 6 and 3 and 4 are crossed.

When in the up position, 1 and 2 and 4 and 6 are connected. When in DOWN, 2 and 3 and 5 and 6 are connected.

4 wires enter the switch. Follow them.

Check CeilingFanParts.com Home for switches. One issue with some replacement switches is that they don't have the tapped holes and it makes it really tough to install.

Warning: Don't switch the direction with the fan running.

Aug 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
    I connected the wires both ways without success. I will replace the fan switch and see what happens. Will keep you posted. Thanks
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 11:11 AM
    If the fan doesn't work in either direction or has little power in high, then suspect the cap and not the reverse switch, although it could be the reverse switch.

Aug 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    If the fan doesn;t work in either direction or has little power in high, then suspect the cap and not the reverse switch, although it could be the reverse switch.
    I think you are right. I get very little power when I first turn it on. I will hunt for a new CAP.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
    See CeilingFanParts.com Home

Sep 2, 2012, 11:36 AM
    It worked. I finally got the Capacitor and connected the four wires as directed. I believe you are the #1 ANSWER. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Ceiling fan reverse switch [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife & I had two Hampton Bay Miramar celing fans installed in our living room by an electrician. We can't find the owner's manual for these fans to locate the switch on the fan housing that changes the direction the blades turn. The switch isn't in the normal location where Hampton...

Reverse switch Hampton Bay Fan [ 2 Answers ]

First of all let me say the manuel from hampton bay for my recently purchased fan is the worst I've ever seen. I purchased a caswyck model fan from home depot. Of course w/ the weather getting cooler I wantr to reverse it. The manuel says if you do not have a deluxe remote you have to "look" for a...

Ceiling fan will only go in reverse [ 6 Answers ]

I just had a new ceiling fan installed (Harbor Breeze "cheshire" fan). The blades will only go in reverse (counter clockwise). I've tried moving the "reverse" button on the base, but when I do the fan stops and doesn't switch directions. Am I missing something? Please help!

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone here know the location of reverse/forward switch on a Hampton Bay 60" industrial 3 blade fan?

View more questions Search