Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fbplaya50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Why can't I get internet connect through my wireless router?
    I am on my 3rd router trying to solve this problem originally thinking it was the brand of router. I now have a netgear router and I am trying to run it on Windows XP system, the problem is this: once inserting the program cd into the desktop and loading it up I have went through all the prompts and instructions hooking the router up. I have a DSL internet hook-up which works fine until hooking up through the router. All of the lights that are supposed to be lit on the router are lit once hooked up, the program shows active internet connection but once it tries to connect it says connection failed. Now I am assuming it is an internet connection option problem but I can't figure it out and no one seems to have the answer! Any help would be appreciated thanks for the help!
    viper21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 02:14 PM
    When you have hook up the router to the modem have you try turn the modem off and back on what internet company are you with ?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
    If you are with AOL call them up. I had the same problem with my netgear set up and AOL talked me through the whole thing. If that fails, you can e mail netgear themselves, the email address is on the leaflet, an they can be of great help too, and don't charge you.
    paulmohr5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 09:37 PM
    Hi well I got a router and I hooked it up but it keep saying I don't have contention
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 20, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmohr5 View Post
    hi well i got a router and i hooked it up but it keep saying i dont have contention
    Don't piggyback on another post. Start your own and we will be happy to help you!
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fbplaya50 View Post
    I am on my 3rd router trying to solve this problem originally thinking it was the brand of router. I now have a netgear router and I am trying to run it on Windows XP system, the problem is this: once inserting the program cd into the desktop and loading it up I have went through all the prompts and instructions hooking the router up. I have a DSL internet hook-up which works fine until hooking up through the router. All of the lights that are supposed to be lit on the router are lit once hooked up, the program shows active internet connection but once it tries to connect it says connection failed. Now I am assuming it is an internet connection option problem but I can't figure it out and no one seems to have the answer! Any help would be appreciated thanks for the help!
    What is the IP of your modem? Router? Maybe these two have conflicting IP's.
    If you were to hook it all up can you connect an ethernet via the port on the router and gain internet access?
    ellenajsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
    I contacted netgear when I had the same problem. They were no help. All they tried to do was sell me a package to fix errors on my PC. And comcast didn't want to help me because I didn't get the router from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect Mac Powerbook G3 to internet via my router [ 2 Answers ]

I have a BT Wireless Network 1250 router to which one PC is connected physically and another PC connects using a USB Netgear adaptor. I want to also connect a Powerbook G3 but am told it is too old a machine to take an airport card. I have tried plugging it in physically to the router but no...

Wireless connection connected but can't connect to the internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I just hooked up a Linksys wireless router to my PC, and I have a connection on my laptop, but I get a "the page cannot be displayed" message when I try to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks!

Is it possible to connect 2 wireless laptops to the router [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I find this wireless connection thing confusing, I have two laptops, one is using an onbourd wireless card whilst the other is using a linksys wpc11 notebook adapter, is it at all possible to wirelessly connect these two laptops straight to the wireless router? Thanks jrh

Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless Networking Issue - Refuses to Connect to Router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a home network of 3 computers which share the same broadband connection. I moved house a few months ago and until then I was able to run the internet connection into the wireless router, unfortunately my new ISP (Spanish ISP, Telefonica) refuses connection with everything except their...

Map Ports For WinMx and a Wireless Router [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can map ports needed for WinMx to work on my Win XP machine that is connected to a D-Link wireless router and then a cable modem? All other apps work OK (IE6-etc) but when setting up WinMX (music sharing program) the setup tells me that it cannot set up TCP ports like 6699...

View more questions Search