Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ColorMeCrayola21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Convicted felon adoption?
    Hi, my aunt and uncle are looking to do a private adoption they have found a person (someone they know) that is going to have a baby and wants to adopt this child out because of medical issues. My question is... my uncle is a convicted felon about 10 or more years ago. All I remember about what happened is that he tried robbing a convenient store and held a knife to the clerks throat (I know lovely right?) He and my aunt have been married for about 8 years and he has full custody of his 13 year old (happy and healthy who gets straight A's and no behavior issues) daughter and has had this since she was about 3 or 4. With a conviction that happened so long ago and having custody of his daughter for so long would he be able to adopt this child? I've read up on it and it says that even with a criminal background you still might be able to adopt.

He made mistakes and he has paid for them and I might add that he really is a wonderful man now and has been a fantastic uncle to my 3 sisters and I... he's been like a second father to me. I just would like to know if this would hinder their hopes of adopting this child or not.

Thanks so much in advance for your answers :)

Jenn in NY
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 05:28 PM
    If it's a private adoption, there shouldn't be a problem. Or rather, there should be less of a problem than in a public/agency adoption.

They will need to contact a family lawyer and get more information on how to proceed.

Best of luck to them!
    don8 Posts: 75, Reputation: 16

Feb 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorMeCrayola21
    Hi, my aunt and uncle are looking to do a private adoption they have found a person (someone they know) that is going to have a baby and wants to adopt this child out because of medical issues. My question is...my uncle is a convicted felon about 10 or more years ago. All I remember about what happened is that he tried robbing a convenient store and held a knife to the clerks throat (I know lovely right?) He and my aunt have been married for about 8 years and he has full custody of his 13 year old (happy and healthy who gets straight A's and no behavior issues) daughter and has had this since she was about 3 or 4. With a conviction that happened so long ago and having custody of his daughter for so long would he be able to adopt this child? I've read up on it and it says that even with a criminal background you still might be able to adopt.

He made mistakes and he has paid for them and I might add that he really is a wonderful man now and has been a fantastic uncle to my 3 sisters and I...he's been like a second father to me. I just would like to know if this would hinder their hopes of adopting this child or not.

Thanks so much in advance for your answers :)

Jenn in NY
    I think that as long as he wasn't convicted of a sex crime that the adoption will go uncontested but even if they deny it your aunt can adopt the child as a single parent as my mom adopted me. My dad was convicted of a felony and my mother adopted me as a single parent and never had any trouble.
    Danno123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2007, 05:21 AM
    I believe it depends on the laws of your state. My son-in-law was a convicted felon (lives in VA.) and this was more than 15 years ago and they wanted to adopt a child but were not able to because of the law. Well, my daughter thought that was a ridiculous law since he was now a great person and no run ins with the law since. She had the law changed, she went to Richmond found people that were willing to listen and the law was changed. They now have adopted a sweet little boy from Ethiopia. Change happens!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2007, 08:12 PM
    If his track record has been as good as you suggest since his conviction then he'll probably be able to adopt.
    girlie171 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
    This has all been very helpful my husband and I are both convicted felons and are not sure we can have children so later in life it is nice to know we might still be able to adopt down the road even after having made poor choices earlier in life
    gramastaxi1 Posts: 5, Reputation: -1

Jul 29, 2012, 07:55 PM
    This is very helpful for my husband and I. I was convicted of a felony in 2000 and have not been in any further trouble. My husband is a correctional officer and I can no longer have children. I have 5 children from an ex-husband but would still like to raise a child with my current husband. Maybe there is hope. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surety Bond - Convicted felon [ 7 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon (drug charge) who has served his time and is now going to school to learn a trade get bonded and get a contractor license?

Convicted Felon [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All I have a federal felony for Bank Fraud. I'm currentlty on probatin and It will end December 2008. So my felony will be on my record once my probation is over. Now I'm engaged and my Fiance' is enlisted in the United States Air Force. His orders will send him oversea's More than likely to...

Can I still get a Real Estate License if convicted felon? [ 2 Answers ]

I got in some trouble with the law in 2002. Now Im stuck with a felony for possession. Im still on probation. Can I still get a Real Estate license for the state of California?

17 year old convicted of rape [ 11 Answers ]

In relation to this story : story Is there any way to help this young man. I don't understand all the intricacies of law and thought this forum could help. I am basically infuriated with the judge's ruling and want to do something about it. Can I do anything? I mean , that kid could easily have...

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search