Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pierre52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Ground vs neutral bus bars
    I have a breaker panel (not a main panel with disconnect) which has two bus bars on each side, mounted on plastic insulating brackets, and which are connected together via a metal strap.
    The original electrician had connected the ground wires to one, the neutral wires to the other withouth removing the metal strap

The inspector said no no.
    I had a second electrician come and remove the metal strap, hereby separating the two bus bars.
    Inspector came back, cussed and said no no. He wanted a new bus bar installed in the panel, and all the ground wires reconnected to that new bus bar.

Is he full of it?
    Thanks
    Pierre
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Hello Pierre

The neutral and the ground are different electrical levels and should not be hoked together.
    That it is often done is because these levels are often near to each other.
    The ground wire should ALWAYS be zero.
    The neutral wire voltage and phase depends on the load on the 2 or 3 phase transformer and may change quite dramatically over the day.

So the inspector has a good point. There should be clear different connection rails used for both neutral and ground.

:)

·
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
    He's not full of it.

Somewhere in your electrical system, the ground and neutral are connected together. This could be at he meter or main panel, but it's usually at the first disconnect.

Any panel beyond that point is treated as a sub-panel (which I think this is) and needs a separate ground and isolated neutral bar. Unfortunately, to the unsuspecting, the "ground bar kit" is an optional accessory. It must be firmly attached to the panel, I believe, with machine screws.

The two neutral bars are there for convienience.

Usually there is a green screw that needs to be removed to isolate the neutral bar(s), then a ground bar kit is installed for sub-panels.

The electrician should know better.

Where is your ground/neutral/ground rod connection?
    Chevynut321 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
    What is the nutral bar connected to
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevynut321 View Post
    What is the nutral bar connected to
    Are you asking pierre52 from a post he made four years ago?
    Or are you asking a question to the board?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral / Ground [ 3 Answers ]

OK Strat, Here is the photo clip of the schematic of the Neutral /Grounding system in my place. Don

Service Panel, Neutral and Ground bars tied? [ 2 Answers ]

In the service panel, both the Neutral bar and Ground bar tied together. Neutral wires tied to the Neutral bar, Ground wires tied to the ground bar in the service panel. Isn't the ground wire than becomes the same as the Neutral wire, or maybe taking part of the current load off from the Neutral...

Why don't panels come with ground bars? [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a sub panel last summer. I had to buy and install a ground bar kit. Time after time I read careful instructions here to buy and install a ground bar, mount it with machine screws, and if a main panel, bond it to the neutral. Where would you use a panel that doesn't need an equipment...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search