Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tamika1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Squatters rights in Pennsylvania
    If I take over the property across the street that has been vacant for years and I pay the taxes will there be consequences??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
    Yes, you will lose whatever you pay. And you may also be prosecuted for trespassing.

There is no such thing as squatters rights. You can research the laws on Adverse Possession in your area. But It takes a lot more than paying the taxes. What makes you think there are taxes due?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Someone has a claim to every square inch of land in the U.S. whether it be the record owner, the owner's heirs, the government, or someone. As ScottGem suggests, finding our who has been paying the taxes is usually a good clue. If the taxes haven't been paid in a few years, the government will end up owning it. In just about everywhere, you cannot gain title to land unless you have some sort of a claimed right to it. That's how adverse possession works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squatters rights in Pennsylvania [ 2 Answers ]

We have been mowing the land adjacent to ours for 20+ years. We do know who the owne is, but as it is a little more than an acre and is at the edge of our property we have taken care of it. The owner recently died and her son had the land surveyed. We attempted to find out what their plans were...

What are my rights when it comes to homesteading & or squatters rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived with my mother for over 15 years. The house is already paid for.. I am 50 yrs old & disabled. My sister wants to sell the house & put mother in a rest home. I will then be homeless. What are my rights in this matter?

Squatters rights florida/water rights [ 2 Answers ]

After 25 years, the golf course wants to cut our irrigation from the lake to our home. Is that legal?

Squatters rights [ 2 Answers ]

My children and I have been living with a friend for the past 6months, I clean the house run the errands, and her children around for her, last night I came home and the doors were locked for no reason, what do I do? I called no answer, knocked on the door no answer and they were home. Please...

Squatters rights in nj [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am selling my house where I have lived for 18 years. I own the driveway, but allow our neighbors to use it as their driveway as well to get to their garage. There is no written easement. They have lived there about 4 years. We have someone interested in buying our house but they want our...

View more questions Search