Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jellybean668 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop?
    I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years
    Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen).

Is this fixable? Would getting the screen replaced solve the problem, or would it need more than that? Roughly how much might it cost to get this repaired?

I don't have a huge amount of money to spend on repairs. Does anyone know the average useful life of this sort of computer, and whether it might just be worth going for a new (slightly cheaper) laptop?

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
    There are some LCD screen cleaners. If they don't work, then look for a new lappy and take better care of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Also see if you can find a used lap top, maybe a non working one with a good screen and use it.

Just a cheap idea
    idol_handzz Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
    If you have any mechanical skills at all, you can remove your existing lcd panel and replace it. You'll need to remove the entire screen panel, and then disassemble it. When you get down to just an lcd with a metallic shell, look at the white plastic back on the panel. There should be a white tag with a model number there. Plug that model number into Google or eBay and you should be able to find some affordable replacement screens. If it is an old laptop that might be better off dead, I would just replace the entire laptop, but if you really like it, and are strapped for cash, replacing the lcd is the way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop battery life [ 8 Answers ]

I just reasently got a laptop. My battery life is so short,like an hou, How can I maximize my battery life. Sumone told me that I should cgarge it or a long time, like 24hrs and that shoul boost its life span

Laptop Screen won't work [ 1 Answers ]

So I took apart my Toshiba Satellite A70 including the screen. When I put it back together now the backlight will come on but no image will display. If I connect it to an external monitor that works. There in only 1 harness to connect the lcd to the mainboard. This should be simple. All I did was...

Dent in laptop screen [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my dad bought me a very nice HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop for Christmas, and I have been enjoying it greatly. Around a month ago, I noticed there is a small, half a centimetre dent-like mark in one part of the screen that makes the area it covers slightly darker. When I turn off the...

Gateway Laptop Screen Flicker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway laptop just over a year old that will occasionally have a screen flicker that changes the brightness. It’s almost as if the power supply was unplugged and the system went into battery management reducing the brightness and then will return to bright. We move the computer around to...

View more questions Search