Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gousecris Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Tax status of child living away in home country of resident allien
    Hi,

I have been on H1-B status since May 2005. And My wife has been on H1-B Status since
    June 2005. We both on H1-B status for the complete year 2006. We are bringing our daughter to USA for the first time this end of April or First week of May on My H4 dependent VISA.

Is there any IRS rule or regulation that will help me to claim my daughter who is 7 years old as dependent child?

I appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,
    Mohamed
    [email protected]
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
    Your child MUST be resident or considered resident to be claimed as a dependent.

Not the case for you, so you CANNOT claim her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

Resident/ NR Tax filling status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and in US from 26 Oct 2006 to 31 Dec 2006 on L1 Visa. I am going to stay in US for the year 2007. My question - I can fill 1040NR can claim the tax right now, or can I defer my filling with 4868 for 6 months and claim after 183 days in 2007 as resident with stadard deduction,...

F-1 to H-1B - Am I a dual-status allien? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Please help me with my tax problems. I was on F-1 since August 15, 2003 until September 14, 2005. Then I was on OPT from Sep 15 2005 to Sep 14 2006, and I have been being on H-1B in September 15, 2006. My 2005 tax was treated as a nonresident tax. However I am not sure about my status in...

Total Income Tax for a resident alien living in CT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a job offer from a US based company to work from Wilton, CT. My annual emoluments would sum up to US $96000. I have no clue about the income tax regulations prevaliing in US. I am expected to report in my office in a week's time. Can somebody enlighten me in this regard. I...

Valid F1 status but resident (for taxes), country treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in NY state originally from INDIA. I have a valid F1 visa. But this will be my 6th tax year in USA and I guess I am a resident for tax purposes. Because of my F1 status, I paid Social security and medicare only during the summer months. Rest of the year it is just regular...

View more questions Search