Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsalvati Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 06:16 AM
    20 hp briggs and stratton engine won't start backfires
    Have a 10 year old 20 hp I c twin started last year but doesn't start this year. Cranks over but sputters to get gas, check fuel line to carb, getiing gas to intake, tries to start blows blue smokes out exaust and backfires and stops trying to start. Replaced spark plugs still not starting,cloged carb or something else, replaced fuel filter also.
    MrQuattro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsalvati View Post
    have a 10 year old 20 hp i c twin started last year but dosent start this year. cranks over but sputters to get gas, check fuel line to carb, getiing gas to intake, tries to start blows blue smokes out exaust and backfires and stops trying to start. replaced spark plugs still not starting,cloged carb or something else, replaced fuel filter also.
    Try loosening the fuel filler cap - could be fuel starvation from vacuum in fuel tank.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 07:47 PM
    Hi,
    At that age you are likely to need a #393397 fuel pump repair kit. It is housed in a rectangular area ar the fron tof the carb and held together by three small screws with 1/4" heads. Disassemble carefully to see the order of the parts.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and Stratton 20 hp won't start [ 0 Answers ]

Engine won't run without starting fluid (engine strong). Gas gets to bowl, fuel pump OK. Selinoid OK, clicks when turn key. Overhauled carb more than once (clean). Drained 2 batteries in my effort, still won't start. Please help.

Briggs & Stratton 5 HP Engine won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

The engine is a model 132232-4036-02 and has run fine on my pressure washer for a long time. It won't run now and I have checked the spark and compression which are fine and also cleaned out the fuel tank. Replaced spark plug, installed new filter and pre-filter and added new fuel. It sounds...

Briggs and stratton 12.5 hp engine won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a B&S 12.5 riding mower that absolutely will not fire up! This thing will spin like there's no tommrow but won't fire for anything! We've looked at the plug and it's fine.Battery is good or it wouldn't spin like it does.The serpintine belt was off so we put it back on and it seems to be...

View more questions Search