Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenny921 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
    EtG help!!
    On wed I had 12 glasses of wine from 9 am to 9 pm, about one per hour. I took an EtG test cutoff 500 Fri at 830pm. Female 140 lbs, muscular, thin, healthy 5 foot 9. Help did I pass? Big trouble if not!

Jul 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
    What if 100 cutoff??
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny921 View Post
    on wed I had 12 glasses of wine from 9 am to 9 pm, about one per hour. I took an etg test cutoff 500 Fri at 830pm. Female 140 lbs, muscular, thin, healthy 5 foot 9. Help did I pass? Big trouble if not!!
    That would be about 2-1/2 bottles of wine. Is that correct?

Jul 7, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    That would be about 2-1/2 bottles of wine. Is that correct?
    It was about 12 of those glass one serving bottles. So upset.
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2012, 03:27 PM
    It was about 12 of those glass one serving bottles. So upset.
    I'm not familiar with that type bottle. A standard serving of wine is 5 oz. The amount consumed is essential to calculating clearance. Do you know the fl. oz. content?

Jul 7, 2012, 03:34 PM
    [QUOTE=DrBill100;3185349]I'm not familiar with that type bottle. A standard serving of wine is 5 oz. The amount consumed is essential to calculating clearance. Do you know the

I had 57 ounces. Oh no
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
    [QUOTE=jenny921;3185358]
    I'm not familiar with that type bottle.

I had 57 ounces. Oh no
    At 47-1/2 hours from last drink until time of test you are certainly in a danger zone but it's also possible that you could be clear or below the level of detection. At 500 you have a much better chance that at the 100 cutoff.

Most of the timed studies would place clearance at around 60-72 hours but real world experience has demonstrated that even after heavy consumption EtG is often undetectable at the 48 hour range.

Further complicating is that there are no specific studies dealing with that volume of drink. I'm afraid you drank too much too close to the test and that EtG will probably be detectable.

Do you face some type of punitive action if so?

Jul 7, 2012, 04:05 PM
    I'm not familiar with that type bottle. A standard serving of wine is 5 oz. The amount consumed is essential to calculating clearance. Do you know the fl. oz. content?
    also drank tons of water, was active, ate tons of healthy food... Help I made such a mistake!

Jul 7, 2012, 04:09 PM
    [QUOTE=DrBill100;3185398]

At 47-1/2 hours from last drink until time of test you are certainly in a danger zone but it's also possible that
    you could be clear or below the level of detection. At 500 you have a much better chance that at the 100 cutoff.

Most of the timed studies would place clearance at around 60-72 hours but real world experience has demonstrated that even after heavy consumption EtG is often undetectable at the 48 hour range.

Further complicating is that there are no specific studies dealing with that volume of drink. I'm afraid you drank too much too close to the test and that EtG will probably be detectable.

Yes, I'm in AZ. Do u know what the AZ cutoff is (testing at TASC). Punishment is unknown, can range from ankle bracelet to three days in tent city. What % chance? Im a fitness professional and 33 yrs.
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2012, 04:19 PM
    also drank tons of water, was active, ate tons of healthy food.... Help I made such a mistake!
    The large volume of water will certainly influence test results. Food increases blood flow to liver and probably helps although can't say for sure.

Given the water consumption your chances of elimination are greatly increased. According to Dahl (2011) "..it is possible to decrease the urinary concentration of EtG to fall below the LOQ of the analytic method, simply by drinking moderate to large amounts of water or any other fluid prior to voiding."

I have no idea what cutoffs are used from one agency to another. There is a complete lack of uniformity in EtG testing.

Dahl, 2011, p. 22

Jul 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
    So if you were to make an educated guess what would you say? Just a bit confused because u said often times people will pass w 48 hrs after heavy drinking, but you also said prob EtG will be detected.

[QUOTE=DrBill100;3185398]

At 47-1/2 hours from last drink until time of test you are certainly in a danger zone but it's also possible that you could be clear or below the level of detection. At 500 you have a much better chance that at the 100 cutoff.

Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2012, 08:30 PM
    [QUOTE=jenny921;3185633]So if you were to make an educated guess what would you say? Just a bit confused because u said often times people will pass w 48 hrs after heavy drinking, but you also said prob etg will be detected.

You are in a gray zone. If not for the water loading would figure EtG detection due to volume consumed. With the heavy water consumption that could bring it below detectable levels.

I'm also having a problem in deciphering the 500 cutoff. Workups show this as reducing detection time by only about 10%. Field results are showing closer to 40%. That is a huge difference.

But even if you are at the low end of detection around the 48 hour mark you are still on the edge. So just flip a coin heads=you're clear, tails=not. That will be just as accurate as any calculation I could make.

Hope you make it and have learned not to challenge this erratic and unpredictable test. Please let us know the results.

Jul 7, 2012, 08:31 PM
    So is your gut I will fail? If.so what might be the percent chance on passing? Sooo depressed.

UOTE=DrBill100;3185424]The large volume of water will certainly influence test results. Food increases blood flow to liver and probably helps although can't say for sure.

Given the water consumption your chances of elimination are greatly increased. According to Dahl (2011) "..it is possible to decrease the urinary concentration of EtG to fall below the LOQ of the analytic method, simply by drinking moderate to large amounts of water or any other fluid prior to voiding."

I have no idea what cutoffs are used from one agency to another. There is a complete lack of uniformity in EtG testing.

Dahl, 2011, p. 22[/QUOTE]
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 08:35 PM
    I think Dr. Bill is saying that he can only guess, because you're in a grey area. In other words, there's no way to know what the results will be. You'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully this scare will prompt you to get the help you need, no matter what the outcome.

Good luck.

Jul 7, 2012, 08:47 PM
    I am never doing this again. The anxiety is not worth it. Thank you for your time. I will let you know soon as I find out! Oh, one question. Migjt the body recognize EtG as a free radical thus eliminating more rapidly w increased.amounts of antioxidants? Like oxidation reduction?

[QUOTE=DrBill100;3185645]
    So if you were to make an educated guess what would you say? Just a bit confused because u said often times people will pass w 48 hrs after heavy drinking, but you also said prob etg will be detected.

You are in a gray zone. If not for the water loading would figure EtG detection due to volume consumed. With the heavy water consumption that could bring it below detectable levels.

I'm also having a problem in deciphering the 500 cutoff. Workups show this as reducing detection time by only about 10%. Field results are showing closer to 40%. That is a huge difference.

But even if you are at the low end of detection around the 48 hour mark you are still on the edge. So just flip a coin heads=you're clear, tails=not. That will be just as accurate as any calculation I could make.

Hope you make it and have learned not to challenge this erratic and unpredictable test. Please let us know the results.
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2012, 09:05 PM
    [QUOTE=jenny921;3185656]I am never doing this again. The anxiety is not worth it. Thank you for your time. I will let you know soon as I find out! Oh, one question. migjt the body recognize etg as a free radical thus eliminating more rapidly w increased.amounts of antioxidants? like oxidation reduction?

There is some very limited information that could be. It was a seredipitous finding from an unrelated animal study of metabolism that found pre-treatment with BHP (butylated hydroxytoluene) inhibited EtG formation. Nicholas, et al It is my understanding that BHP is an OTC at health food stores. Not personally familiar with it.

Another study of liver disease Bjelakovic, found that antioxidants increased liver enzyme active and relieved oxidative stress. Could be related as that would increase Phase I oxidative metabolism of ethanol resulting in less reaching the Phase II where EtG results. Nothing concrete and neither has been investigated directly in relation to EtG.

If you have further questions feel free to ask but it will be tomorrow before I can get back.

Jul 7, 2012, 09:36 PM
    Very interesting. I have an advanced degreein the nutrition sciences and have always noticed the limited body of research w regard to addiction science. Love what you're doing! PS there needs to be a book on nutrition and recovery! A good one. :-)

UOTE=DrBill100;3185670]
    I am never doing this again. The anxiety is not worth it. Thank you for your time. I will let you know soon as I find out! Oh, one question. migjt the body recognize etg as a free radical thus eliminating more rapidly w increased.amounts of antioxidants? like oxidation reduction?

There is some very limited information that could be. It was a seredipitous finding from an unrelated animal study of metabolism that found pre-treatment with BHP (butylated hydroxytoluene) inhibited EtG formation. Nicholas, et al It is my understanding that BHP is an OTC at health food stores. Not personally familiar with it.

Another study of liver disease Bjelakovic, found that antioxidants increased liver enzyme active and relieved oxidative stress. Could be related as that would increase Phase I oxidative metabolism of ethanol resulting in less reaching the Phase II where EtG results. Nothing concrete and neither has been investigated directly in relation to EtG.

If you have further questions feel free to ask but it will be tomorrow before I can get back.
    Dance14 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Very interesting. I have an advanced degreein the nutrition sciences and have always noticed the limited body of research w regard to addiction science. Love what youre doing! PS there needs to be a book on nutrition and recovery! A good one. :-)

UOTE=DrBill100;3185670]
    When will you know If you passed?

Jul 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Well I somehow passed after all that wine. I did eat a ton of food! And I have low body fat so maybe tnat helped? But like u said, was a coin toss. Thanks.again!

UOTE=DrBill100;3185424]The large volume of water will certainly influence test results. Food increases blood flow to liver and probably helps although can't say for sure.

Dahl, 2011, p. 22[/QUOTE]

Jul 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
    I passed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DrBill100 - EtG really so overhyped? Now baffled: lab says 3 drinks=20-24hrs. EtG? [ 7 Answers ]

Dr.Bill, I have been researching both the validity and dangers of false positives and negatives of this test as it is used for criminal, employment, and child custody reasons. In addition to the variant cut-offs, incidental exposures, etc. I am flabbergasted by the amount of conflicting info out...

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

EtG [ 6 Answers ]

What are the percentages to pass a etc test 62 hours after bac is 0. I am male 36, 145 pounds. 100 cut off test.

EtG ua [ 5 Answers ]

How to pass a EtG UA

View more questions Search