Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bev2095 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Social security benefits judgements
    In court my husband was directed to equalize social security with me. He owes me over $10,000.00 of back payments. Can I get a judgement against his social security? And if so how do I do that?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bev2095 View Post
    In court my husband was directed to equalize social security with me. ...
    Do you suppose the judge has even a clue as to what he/she was talking about? Because I sure don't.
    bev2095 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Do you suppose the judge has even a clue as to what he/she was talking about? Because I sure don't.
    Yes, the judge stated when we both start collecting Social Security it must be equalized. Meaning I get part of his Social Security and them we add his and mine together and divide by 2 and subtract what I get and he has to send me part of his. He has done that some, but has missed many payments to me.
    Does this sound like I could get a judgement against him for the over $10,000.00 that he owes me from not paying me every month?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bev2095 View Post
    Yes, the judge stated when we both start collecting Social Security it must be equalized. Meaning I get part of his Social Security and them we add his and mine together and divide by 2 and subtract what I get and he has to send me part of his. He has done that some, but has missed many payments to me.
    Does this sound like I could get a judgement against him for the over $10,000.00 that he owes me from not paying me every month?

Yes, I don't see why not. Or perhaps a writ of execution would be more appropriate, because there is already a judgment in place. You would need to file a motion, together with an affidavit setting forth the circumstances, and the court should be able to enter something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgements against you when on social security disability [ 4 Answers ]

I am on social security disability and just received a notice that a credit card company filed a complain because I owe them money. Should I call this credit card company and explain my income and try to pay them some, however social security disability pays me hardly anything and I have to extra...

Social Security, VA disability, and Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions...

Social security benefits [ 1 Answers ]

For people who earned a great deal of income during the '70's & 80's where they required to pay in larger amounts to social security comparied to a person who earned an average income?

Social Security Benefits [ 3 Answers ]

Can a child who is getting social security benefits because of a disabled parent get a job?

Social security benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I turn 63 next April, but expect to continue working until I am 65 in April of 2010 (I expect because of the laws I will have to actually work until the end of 2010. I am toying with the idea of filing for my social security benefits when I turn 63, and then just putting the money away. I have a...

View more questions Search