Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkaoboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Knocking noise in ceiling and bathroom
    I have a brand new house built 5 months ago. I can hear random knocks and single bangs in my attached bath and bedroom ceiling. The bathroom sounds metallic, and the ceiling sounds like something is hitting my roof. As if its in the attic or someone threw a rock on my roof. I kept convincing myself its pigeons landing on my roof, but no way can they be this loud. The house is under warranty for one year. I called the contractor and he said the house is settling in. Creaking, I can accept but these random knocks wake me up and I can't sleep. There is also water hammering associated with the sprinklers. The sprinklers I can prove and recreate at will, but the ones in my room are harder to reproduce because NO water is on or recently just turned off. They do however occur several times at night while I'm trying to sleep. They do not sound like the sprinkler hammering which is really obvious. Its more of just a knock. My question is this, what is my best way to convey this problem to the contractor? If I say its plumbing, they'll send a plumber, but they don't send people all that often. Should I demand they send a fix it person to some and listen to the sounds? Or is there a way I can inspect the attic so I can pinpoint what it is? I sound stupid on the phone because all I can say is I hear knocking in my ceiling and bathroom. I'm almost sure its pipes, but I'm not an expert.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Noises and smells are the hardest to track down if you aren't on the site to do it. You can add a air chamber on the sprinkler supply to stop the water hammer. The sound in your home sounds like pipes that are expanding and contracting due to heat and not being strapped properly. Does any one take nightly showers or baths in your household? These noises can sound like rattling, creaking, popping etc. This problem is most often found in new homes the first year. Your contractor was attempting to explain away the noise without even checking it out. Get him out there when it's doing it so he can hear for himself. Good luck Tom
    jdjones_27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 11:25 AM
    I too have knocking on my roof during oct and first week in sept, but they never occur in the day. I have no pipes going through my roof and no attic.. people freak out when they come to my house to witness it themselves. They range from a knock to a loud boom, there is no rocks or foot steps on my roof.. thank god I thought I was the only one with this problem.
    KingCode Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 05:05 PM
    I just experienced the same thing and replaced my bathroom fan motor, which had become very noisy. The new motor is much quieter, but still produces a knocking sound at about 90/minute at even interval. The sound is exactly as you describe, as if someone were tapping on the roof.

From looking at the motor while turned on, it seems the motor magnets are unevenly weighted around the center. In any case, tightening the motor-wheel assembly as tightly as possible inside the casing and against the outlet reduced the sound further, which is faint enough now to live with.

I'll have to research what is the precise cause of the problem, but hopefully that can be some help to you as well.
    troweltime Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 03:38 PM
    Maybe your house was built on a old burial site. Don't worry, its just your rafters shifting and escaping heat and what not.
    markgrant11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 09:01 AM
    That sounds like a human spiritual entity trying to get your attention. Does it seem to be interacting with your mind? There may be things wrong in your life you are not aware of.
    I don't know how this knoking is occurring in physical world without a physical explination like "pluming pipes shaking and hitting the wall due to changes to water pressure inside" or "a person knoking the roof from the top" you may need to speak to a paranormalist
    kvality Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 08:04 AM
    He is not concerned of his problems, but satisfied that There are some more widdows

Apr 3, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by troweltime View Post
    Maybe your house was built on a old burial site. Don't worry, its just your rafters shifting and escaping heat and what not.
    Saale Dehati, Sanki, Pagal, Duffer,

Why Talking Rubish,,

One person is already disturbed, and you are frying your knowledge...

Its nothing, Its contraction only that is all, I know at least 10 friends who feels so, Don't need be worry, Its your beutifull home, and believe me, Luck is knocking the Roof, Gradualy you will be happy to get some B'Full result.

Be happy, and Njoy happy Home...

Don't think negative... lets live happy...

Good day

Apr 3, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Its Nothing, I have been facing same problems, When Contacted my architact, he explan that even he felt many times such noise in his house, when diagnosed, nothing found, Gradualy he ignored the noise, there are many things beyond controls,, you can't understand the nature in every aspect.

Its natural. No harming...

NJoy your sweet home...

Kvality
    milzs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 05:18 PM
    I have had several pest control companies come out to have a look but none have helped fixed the problem they just empty my purse.

I have loud banging coming from the roof it almost sounds like what ever it is is jumping on pipes at times, I know its definitely not a plumbing issue because I hear it all day and night even when water is not in use.

The pest control companys have each put their own rat bait up there, I've had a possum cage and still nothing and now I have a glue tray up there and still nothing but loud banging that keeps me up at night and wakes me in the morning I've been a walking zombie since I bought and moved into this place Last November and it seems no one can help because they don't know what it is, they say if it was a rat it would have eaten the bait by now and died, and its definitely not drumming pipes.

Please help I need some beauty sleep
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Hi Milzs

Check the water meter when you know all fixtures are not being used. If there is water running the indicator arrow at the meter should show movement and you will confirm a leak is present... could be a leaky toilet flapper valve causing the toilet fill valve to only slightly engage (can make all kinds of different noises).

If you have no indicator arrow or this shows no issue I would then have you shut off the water main shutoff (near the meter)... see if the noise goes away after that.

If the noise continues when the water is shutoff then, most likely, you have other issues than plumbing and you'll want to repost this question over in home improvement or pest control!

Pop back in after you try the tests... let us know what you discover, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water line makes Knocking noise [ 3 Answers ]

Every time one of our toilets if flushed, the water line makes a knocking noise.  It never use to do that until we replaced the flapper and flushing valve.  Does anyone know what this might be?  It's very loud! ::)

Knocking noise when flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

We've replaced the flapper, and flushing valve approx. a month ago. Ever since when it is flushed there is a loud knocking noise in the water line. Does anyone know what we can do to fix the problem? It's pretty loud. Thanks, in advance!

Ceiling Fan Motor Noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 4 ceiling fans (2 Hampton Bay and 2 Hunter) and experienced the same thing. A humming sound from the motors on all of them. I used 12G wiring and spliced into 12G existing wiring in the attic. The mfrs don't understand why - one has asked if I have enough power going to them. ...

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

Loud Knocking Noise when cold water side of shower is on [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy folks. When I turn my shower on, I have to turn the water all the way to hot, switch the shower lever, and then adjust to warm... otherwise I get a huge loud knocking sound from the basement. I went down to see if I could see pipes rattling or anything, but nothing. I turned on the faucet...

View more questions Search