Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauferein Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 06:48 AM
    How to stop water pipe joint leak
    I installed a new water tank and had to use some of the old iron plumbing pipes which I could not disconnet (30 years of rusted joints). Now the joint between the old pipe and the new check valve has a minor leak, couple drops a minute.

Is there any way to stop the leak without taking the whole connecting job over? Is there anything that I could buy to seal the pipe joint? I heard some time ago advertising on TV about some miracle putty that hardens and could be used to stop water leaks. Has anybody used it and knows where to get it?

I would appreciate any help.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Feb 5, 2008, 08:01 AM
    I have tried the putty your talking about on the connections on my water pipes for my water heater, It didn't work for me. My suggestion would be to cut out that part of the line and put in new.I wish I would have went the extra step even though it's a hassle it was more trouble in the long run. Have A Great Day!
    lauferein Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Now 2 question:
    1, Where did you buy that putty?
    2, Did you ever cut 1" iron pie and how long did it take? That was my problem that I did not want to take the time to cut the 1" pipe, but probably I will do it in the future. Meanwhile I am enjoying water and hot shower after 2 months without it.
    Thanks again.

Feb 5, 2008, 09:27 AM
    I bought the putty at Home Depot, and no I have not cut 1" iron pie. Could'nt you use a pipe cutter for cutting iron pie? I have cut numerous kinds of pipe with a pipe cutter and it works very well.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2008, 11:44 AM
    You're thinking of epoxy putty. Perhaps Jack dandy didn't apply it correctly. Click on; PlumbingSupply.com - Leak Repair Kit to check it out. Good luck. Tom

Feb 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You're thinking of epoxy putty. Perhaps Jack dandy didn't apply it correctly. Click on; PlumbingSupply.com - Leak Repair Kit to check it out. Good luck. Tom
    Just curious speedball, have you ever used epoxy putty? Did it work for you? Just wondering?Have a Gret Day!
    uzmamulla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 09:46 PM
    How about if u had a leakage and u had none of that stuff what do u do?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 05:17 AM

Uzmamulla...

You either go out and buy some OR you need to tell us more about the leak, OK? IS this a water pipe, a heat pipe or a waste pipe? Where is the leak at, a fitting or in the middle of the pipe? Here, we need more information to help.

For best results take a minute and start a new thread so we can give you our fullest attention.

Mark
    NovusIntentio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 09:19 AM
    The easiest way to stop a water leak on a pipe, is by using the Leak Mate Tool

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop a levy on a joint bank account? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently found out that there was a levy placed on our accounts for money I owed to a creditor... If I take myself off his account, can they still take money out of his sole accounts?

Vertical cast iron joint leak [ 5 Answers ]

I have a vertical cast iron toilet drain pipe and the joint appears to have a slow leak. I say this because there is water accumulation at the bottom of the joint as opposed to water coming from the top... so I don't think it has anything to do with the toilet seal. I saw some mention of...

Very small leak at solder joint of hot water pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am concerned about a small leak (very small drip) at a solder joint of a hot water pipe. Should I have a plumber come and re-solder the joint or is there a produce I can purchase that will safely stop the leak. Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Leak at threaded pipe joint [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a leak inside the wall at my bath tub faucet where the copper pipe meets the faucet. The whole unit was replaced before I bought this house so it is not very old, but it is leaking where the pipes are screwed together. Now my problem is that it is a 3 knob faucet w/shower so I can not...

Drain Joint Leak [ 13 Answers ]

Hi. I'm really grasping here and hoping one of you might be able to help without this costing me a fortune. I have torn walls and ceilings out in my house to find the problem and attempted the hardware store advise to fix it but it didn't work. I have a vertical cast iron drain pipe with a...

View more questions Search