Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Obamacare For The Poor
    What happens in 2014. Women 60 years old is unemployed and has a preexisting condition. Has been denied medicaid in Florida, she did not met the current guild-lines. Only income is from her husband's social security check.

I wonder what will happen in this type of situation??
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    What happens in 2014. Women 60 years old is unemployed and has a preexisting condition. Has been denied medicaid in Florida, she did not met the current guild-lines. Only income is from her husband's social security check.

I wonder what will happen in this type of situation????
    She goes to the ER like all the illegals do...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Can't say . SCOTUS reversed the Medicaid expansion part of Obamacare . It will still be administered by the states as before.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
    In January after President Mitt Romney gets sworn in... Obamacare will be repealed in short order since it never was voted on legally... all of Obamas czars will be on umemployment, and his Procilmations as Messiah will be revoked.

Then mabe the confusion caused in the last 3.5 years will start being reversed after everyone businessesc specifically can move away from self preservation mode. Meaning Insurance companies can go back to doing what they always used to do Pre-Obama and his anti Business, and anti certain rich people retoric caused the economy to crash.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
    What is the process for repealing?
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 11:28 AM

I wonder what will happen in this type of situation????
    Attorney on line. There may be some kind of subsidy for the poor people.
    And maybe changes in the state medicaid requirements. Premium from blue cross blue shield is $625.00 a month for a single person

. Will not take anyone with preexisting conditions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
    No, from my reviewing all the info, any way to pay for the plan, or anyway to control the cost is not in the plan, it just merely requires you to have the coverage.

And in 2014 when they have to take anyone, expect that price to go from 625 to about 900 since people with heart trouble, aids, disabilities that will cost 100's of thousands dollars a year to treat have to be insured, they can not be refused.

Right now I can't afford it myself, So she gets fined by the government for not following the law in the form of the additional tax ( that she can't afford to pay either) So then she is in default to the IRS also.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
    I had a feeling about that. Medicaid may be revised. The preexisting conditions I suspected the insurance companies may just raise the premiums though the roof. But in her particular case she has no income to declare. Unless Florida medicaid changes it rules. I don't know
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Hello p:

I can't imagine her being turned down if her ONLY income was from SS. Therefore, I think the state erred, and I'd apply AGAIN.

excon

PS> As you can see, there's a great deal of hand wringing from our friends on the right, but Obamacare is here to stay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 06:21 AM
    The issue is there is no one set of "rules" they just can not be turned down by an insurance carrier and there will be some type of assistance if you are low income.

As noted now each state has to find a way to pay for it. Guess how property and sales tax and state income tax may have to be increased to pay for a million people being added to medicaid roles.

Also what is covered may be reduced. Or how much they pay, today many doctors will not accept medicaid patietns because of lower payments, I know the last medical supply company I worked for would not sell to them because they did not pay enough.

So you have a few doctors that will take medicaid and long waiting times to be seen,

So you go to the hospital ( that accepts medicaid) not all do. And you do that. As excon said, just like you do now.
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2012, 06:26 AM
    In Florida Medicaid is limited to
    :Low income families with children
    Children only
    Pregnant women
    Non-citizens with medical emergencies
    Aged and/or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    Unfortunately she doesn't apply to the above. Also Florida's Republican governor Rick Scott is going to rebuff the mandates issued from the president of the United States.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Also Florida's Republican governor Rick Scott is going to rebuff and mandates from the president
    Hello again, p:

Then she doesn't qualify for state Medicaid.

She DOES qualify, however, or WILL in 2014, for a subsidy to help her pay for her insurance. It might even be a 100% subsidy.

In terms of Rick Scott. Obamacare calls for state insurance exchanges. It ALSO calls for the federal government to set them up IF the state refuses. So, Rick Scott is just flapping his gums.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Since this is in the Current Events category of the site...

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    She goes to the ER like all the illegals do...
    Yes, the ERs will be full to capacity. There will not be enough qualified nurses or doctors to care for these patients. Why are they going to the ER? Because they cannot get into the doctor's offices.

As long as we continue to treat healthcare as a "right," we will have problems. ER use will skyrocket and hospitals will be shafted in the end. Resources will become more scarce, and services will diminish. Why provide current services when the facilities won't be compensated?

I pay every pay period for healthcare for myself and my family. Healthcare is a privilege. I am very hesitant to use healthcare services unless absolutely necessary, and I DO have a pre-existing condition... CANCER.

For example, I would never think to run to the ER for every ache and pain. Yes, people come to the ER because they have a fever but have not taken any measures at home to treat that fever. They come because they stubbed their big toe, they come because they have a headache. Just for simple examples.

Actually had one girl come into the ER because she was "bleeding." Guess what, she wasted valuable resources because it was just her period a day late. I actually had a patient take an ambulance to my labor and delivery department because her tummy was hurting. Sure she was pregnant, but she was constipated. Guess what else, she had her whole entourage follow the ambulance to the hospital when they could have driven her. A gentleman lost his life that night due to a heart attack because that ambulance was out of service to pick up the constipated chick.

Without programs that force everyone to make fiscally responsible decisions about when to seek medical attention, we will never have a healthcare system that works. Precious resources will continue to be wasted, and paper cuts will further outnumber the heart attacks in the emergency setting.

Back to that privilege. When I have to use my insurance for healthcare I have co-pays and deductibles that I am expected to satisfy, but this "plan" does not include that.

I live in Tennessee, we have had a similar healthcare plan in action here for around 18-20 years, it's called TennCare and it doesn't work.

*clunk, off my soapbox*
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Also, watch the doctors start leaving the field under this monstrosity. As you see they already have been flooding the ER's and how many of them have luxuries like smart phones and data plans for everyone in the house? I don't even have that as there are other expenses that have a higher priority.

I have always had my own insurance... even when I was a recent college graduate, and barely making $14K a year (Thanks to the Jimmy Carter Recession and economy) as I was one of the lucky ones in my class to actually get a job offer before graduation from college.

I found money for my Insurance... and my 8% interest student loans because those were more important than the feel good stuff I wanted but couldn't afford. Because I was responsible for those as an adult... I wasn't entitled to a free ride.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I wasn't entitled to a free ride.
    That is the whole point isn't it, and it seems to be lost in the argument over more people being entitled, they are only entitled to what they are going to pay for one way or another
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2012, 03:45 PM
    My state Florida and states like Louisiana with Republican
    Governors have designated themselves secessionists from federal
    Authority in regards to Obamacare. Whether its boastful self aggrandizing. I do not know.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Seems like a path to bankruptcy for the state
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Not really... there is a whole bunch of $$ incentive to sign on to the Federal plan... and then like every good Federal plan ;after a predictable timeframe the Federal money dries up ;and the States are left to figure out how to fund it .
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    That is the whole point isn't it, and it seems to be lost in the argument over more people being entitled, they are only entitled to what they are going to pay for one way or another
    Fact is they won't be the ones to pay for it... those of use who are responsible enough to pay for our own now are going to have to pay for theirs... so we end up with half the coverage for twice the price for what we have now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Corporate Obamacare waivers [ 6 Answers ]

After threatening to drag corporate execs who dared speak the truth about the consequences of Obamacare before Congress, calling on citizens to rat out their neighbors, demonizing insurance companies, the latest McDonald's flap and all the other posturing and threats, this regime has decided to...

He's poor, I'm not rich but not poor, he expects me to pay for everything, cheap? [ 24 Answers ]

My boyfriend is poor, I'm not rich nor poor, he expects me to pay for everything.. sometimes at dinner he orders a long list and I know I'm going to have to pay for it.. is it about being poor? Or is he cheap?

Alternatives to Obamacare; [ 178 Answers ]

Obamacare, whatever that may be, is unpopular, not cost effective , and offensive to the people it is to care for and from whom paid taxes into this. It is time to move on and look at alternatives to Obamacare and the CURRENT healthcare system we have in place. The ultimate goal being to provide...

Obamacare, good enough for thee - [ 8 Answers ]

But not for Obama himself... During Obama's ratings flop of an infomercial last night, he refused to promise that he would stay within his own health care system if one of his wife or daughters were sick. There you have it, if the president himself won't commit to trusting his own...

View more questions Search