Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tkwise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Safety switch issue I think
    I have the Murray model 40504x92A and it will not start with the key. I can however start it by jumping power straight to the starter. Once it starts it runs fine until I start to release the clutch. It will start to die but if it is depressed again it keeps running, however if you try to engage the blade it instantly dies. I have replaced all three safety switches with brand new ones. Any ideas on where to look or what to do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance
    Tim
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Hi,
    I will attach the parts breakdown. The key switch and the solenoid are the most failed electrical parts. The wiring diagram is on page 3. Battery voltage goea into the switch at terminal 2 and out to trigger the solenoid to supply voltage to the starter from terminal 6. It travels in the orange wire through the safety switches. Be aware that the PTO switch is labelled backwards.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf MURRAY-MODEL-40504X92A-LAWN-TRACTOR-(1999)-PARTS-LIST.pdf (157.2 KB, 307 views)
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jun 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
    It sounds like the seat safety switch to me. Maybe a wire going to it is making a bad connection or broken.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jun 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfocke View Post
    It sounds like the seat safety switch to me. Maybe a wire going to it is making a bad connection or broken.
    But the starting problem may be the suggested problem in the previous answer. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Table saw safety issue [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have just purchased a clark table saw with a maximum cut depth of 55mm. I have 20 or so fence posts which I want to cut from 6 to 3ft. The posts are 75mm thick and I was wondering if I could push them through the saw and then turn them over to cut the remaining 20mm. I have only cut...

Safety Issue, Chandelier Installation [ 3 Answers ]

Recently we purchased a chandelier for our daughter's room. The chandelier had a standard cord and plug, approximately 18 inches in length. We were told that the reason is had the plug, was for display in a lighting showroom, and that for home installation, we should slice off the plug, and simply...

Dimming lights a safety issue? [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, My lights dim when we run the vacuum, carpet cleaner or any other bigger appliance. I have seen lights dim before and then fade back on to normal after a few seconds. Ours do not do that, they simply dim and stay that way until you turn off the device... Question... Is this a problem or...

View more questions Search