Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuck42 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Sears craftsman 42 inch riding mower won't disengage
    Mower won't disengage. The mower blade drive belt will not go to complete stop. It appears that pulley is stuck, could it be that belt is stretched or does pulley need to be oiled or greased. I have to get under mower & smack pulley to get it to disengage.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Oct 10, 2008, 07:17 AM

If the belt were stretched it would be harder to engage the belt instead of harder to disengage the belt. As for lubrication, this isn't usually necessary but you can certainly spray a lubricant on the linkage to help. Make sure that you do not get any lubricant on the belt or the parts of the pullies that touch the belt. If you do it will make the belts slip.

My worry is that you have an arm, a bushing or some moving part in your linkage that is wearing out. By lubricating it you are just buying a little more time. It will still end up breaking and leaving you stranded. I would try to get in there and see exactly what the linkage is getting caught on. Then order the part, lubricate it until the replacement part comes in to replace it.
    josephe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Want to know how to tighten the blade belt
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jun 25, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by josephe View Post
    want to know how to tighten the blade belt
    If it is the type that is controlled by a rod, there is an adjustment on the small rod that goes to the deck almost directly below the handle that engages the blades. It is about even with the bottom of the frame of the mower. You will need to remove a small clip and rotate the end a few turns.

If it is cable operated then there is no adjustment. It has a spring to take up the free play. You need to replacement the belt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace my mower deck belt for a 38 inch cut sears craftsman lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

How do I replace a mower deck belt on my sears craftsman lawn tractor model # 917.254940

Craftsman Riding Mower 23 Kohler hp 24 inch deck [ 11 Answers ]

I recently went out to mow my lawn with this otherwise reliable machine. I pulled the PTO clutch switch to engage the blades. They started to rotate and I was on my way, for about 30 seconds and then the blades stopped rotating. The motor runs perfectly yet the drive unit for the blade belt does...

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Craftsman 14.5 42 inch riding lawn mower gear sector [ 2 Answers ]

How do you replace the gear sector22 teeth on craftsman riding lawn mower?

View more questions Search