Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jajakaka Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Do periods get delay after first time sex?
    Last month I had periods on 14th, and I had 1st time sex on 26th, we used condom,but till today (21st june) my periods have not started. So is there any chance of being pregnant? We used condom and there was no problem with that condom. Im worried please help me.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
    Yes, there is a pretty good chance--you had sex right around when you were ovulating.

Birth control fails.

Take a pregnancy test

Jun 21, 2012, 03:19 AM
    @ Synnen

Ya I know birth control fails but after we were done we checked the condom and there was no breakage or something at all. Then how come it is possible that I am pregnant?
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
    Because even without breakage, sometimes it doesn't work.

Sperm are MICROSCOPIC. Do you think that maybe they could get through a hole so small you can't see it?

I got pregnant using THREE forms of birth control correctly. Sometimes birth control just doesn't work.

If you have sex, you CAN get pregnant, even if you're using birth control.

Take a pregnancy test.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 06:32 AM
    To add to what Syn said, there is also a failure rate if the condom is not used properly.

I got pregnant not once, but twice, using a condom AND the pill.

Jun 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
    To be very frank, we poured water in that used condom and we watched it very carefully, as we both were scared as it was the first time. But there was no problem in that, so if birth controls do not work always properly, then what is the use of these controls? If there is always a chance of being pregnant, then it is definitely a problem to have sex.
    And one more thing, my age is 23, and I'm suffering from poly cystic ovary problem. For which my periods generally delays almost every month. But this time I'm scared as I had no experience regarding sexual activities. I just want to know whether this problem (cystical ovary) can be the reason of delaying periods after 1st time sex??
    And when should I take the pregnancy test? I mean after how many days?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
    I've read 4 days after a missed period. I've read 10 days. Ask your Pharmacist to recommend a HPT.

What is the use of these controls? Some protection is better than none.

Maybe the message is if you aren't prepared to be somebody's mother, don't have sex.
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
    I got pregnant the SECOND time I had sex.

The reason for birth control is to REDUCE your chances. That doesn't mean it makes your chances zero.

PCOS can mess with your period whether you're having sex. I have PCOS as well, and it can be frustrating to track your periods with it.

You NEED to take a pregnancy test. If you have missed a period at it's normal time, take a test. Use first morning urine.

You should probably also make an appointment to talk to your gynecologist to talk about ALL of your options for birth control and how PCOS can affect it.

Jun 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Sex is a normal procedure... for human being, as well as every other creature... bt if there is always a chance to be pregnant, how can people have sex? Its always risky then.
    I just want to know whether this problem (cystical ovary) can be the reason of delaying periods after 1st time sex??
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Yes it CAN. PCOS can cause a LOT of problems. Are you sure you have it? I was diagnosed by a doctor and she went over in detail a lot of the issues I could have about it. If you don't know about it, you need to see your doctor.

It can ALSO be pregnancy. And YES, sex IS always risky. That's what we've been telling you. If you aren't willing to RISK children, then DON'T HAVE SEX!

Jun 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Yes I have this disease from last 2 yrs. I am also taking medicine for this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
    There is no birth control that is 100 percent. Condoms at the very best have a 3 percent to 10 percent failure rate, The failure can not be seen ( unless they break) The failure rate of 3 percent is just the manufactor issues, the rest of the risk, is where they are not put on properly and leak over the top and other issues.

Birth control pills are not 100 percent, they are about 99 percent to 99.9 percent effecive but still fail.

In fact people using birth control pills and condoms can and do get pregnant some time.

So any and every time you have sex, you take a risk of pregnancy The reason people have sex is that there is sexual desire and most adults knowing the risk will have sex anyway.

Many minors or younger children when they first start having sex they don't know of the risk, or don't believe the risk. Or they don't think it just won't happen to them.

And of course that is why there are so many children born to underage mothers and others when they are not expected.

There are also 100's of reasons for late periods, and some women just miss one every now and then. To have it on the same date each month is more the exception unless you are using birth control where it controls the period.

You will wait till one week past the due date of the period, that you miss, and do a home pregnancy test using the first urine of the morning.
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
    What medication are you taking?

Some of the medications for PCOS are FERTILITY drugs! They could actually INCREASE your chances of getting pregnant!

Jun 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the help :)

Jun 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
    @ Synnen
    I take Obimet SR 500
    You may not know the name . It's an Indian medicine
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
    I don't know that name.. sorry :(

I qould definitely discuss all of this with you gynecologist, though.

Jun 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
    As I am from India, my meds are also indian
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jajakaka View Post
    to be very frank, we poured water in that used condom and we watched it very carefully, as we both were scared as it was the first time. But there was no problem in that, so if birth controls do not work always properly, then what is the use of these controls? If there is always a chance of being pregnant, then it is definitely a problem to have sex.
    And one more thing, my age is 23, and i m suffering from poly cystic ovary problem. For which my periods generally delays almost every month. But this time I m scared as I had no experience regarding sexual activities. I just want to know whether this problem (cystical ovary) can be the reason of delaying periods after 1st time sex???
    And when should I take the pregnancy test? I mean after how many days?
    I just lost a beautiful post. Damn you FireFox!

Okay. Filling the condom with water. Why would you do that? That sounds a little fishy to me. I think all you proved is that it would hold water. There could still be microholes that could allow sperm through but the water tension wouldn't allow any water to go through. I don't think it is a valid test. I think all you did was make a water balloon. Just don't use it...

I don't think your period is late because your pregnant, or because of having sex for the first time. That is an asinine concept. Chances are, and we are talking probability, but I will get that that later, it is the PCOS that is acting up. Your periods, as you have admitted, are hard to track. It could just be the PCOS that is making this seem a little longer. The stress of having sex for the first time could contribute, but not having sex.

A note on birth control. The only safe birth control is abstinence. As you go you get safe methods safer methods. A condom might be 90% safe, but hormonal birth control is 95% safe. Combine the two and you get something that is 99.5% safe. So chances are that once in ever 200 sessions you will get pregnant. That isn't to say you ever will if you do it. It lessens the chances. It never eliminates it. You could never have problems with birthcontrol, while others could. There are a lot of documented cases where people have used many forms perfectly and still got pregnant. Those are the REALLY low chances. One in a million for example.

Just keep that on the mind. Get yourself a pregnancy test and talk to your Gynecologist. Trust the word of a doctor over the opinions and thoughts of random internet people. Always.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:16 PM
    Also not mentioned... certain classes of antibiotics commonly prescribed will render hormonal birth control ineffective for a period as well.

Jun 21, 2012, 11:03 PM
    @CravenMorhead
    THANKS A TON

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When you have sex for the first time can it delay your period? [ 8 Answers ]

When you have sex for the first time can it delay your period? I have quite a thick discharge in my pants but don't know what's triggering it. Can anyone help?

Two periods on time after sex, Third missed - could I be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I had sex May 6 with protection and took Plan B just in case on May 9. By May 18th, I had my period as regularly scheduled but took a pregnancy test on May 23rd just in case it was implantation bleeding (as my periods are sometimes heavy, sometimes light). The test came out negative. I then...

Periods after having sex the first time? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend recently had sex. It was the first time for both of us. The first time was in the shower. She has been on the pill 1-2 months. It was unprotected in the shower but I only went in maybe an inch and I did that just twice because it wouldn't fit. Later on that night we used a...

After sex I had normal periods at noramal time,can I be pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

I had protected sex with my boyfriend on 19th of sept and I get my periods at time on 10th of October.my periods was normal,it lasts 6 days.asusual.but after that I don't have periods till now.am I pregnant? One more thing is that I took medicines for regular periods as doctor said that I have...

I want 2 delay my periods [ 1 Answers ]

My periods are due on 16 n its my d day.. I want 2 delay so if I take this tablet PREMOLUT-N so how many day before my date I should start?

View more questions Search