Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    popsexybunny Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Peugeot 206 won't start but all dash lights come on
    Hi,

My 206 won't start. All the dash lights come on and the stereo comes on but engine won't start. I started it, turned it off, popped into work and came out and get in car and now won't start. Have locked/unlocked it, have this and re connected battery and still nothing. Didn't leave any lights on and there's plenty of fuel.

Please help
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 06:55 AM

The battery may be strong enough to light up the dash and radio, but not strong enough to crank the starter motor, which requires much more amperage. I would begin by either fully charging the battery or replacing it.
    Choppo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 08:01 AM
    My wife's 206 had the same thing last night she was stuck in a multi storey car park with our 2 year old.
    I tried jump leads, bump starting (in 2nd gear). I was sure it must be the battery as its at least 8 years old.
    It was only when pushing it backwards to get it out the way that I got her to try bumping it in reverse as a last ditch effort... It started!!
    Got a new battery on the way home (nearly £90.00! ), fitted it & it still wouldn't start.
    I don't think it's got anything to do with the battery. ITS CRAPPY FRENCH ENGINEERING & CHEAP COMPONENTS that's the problem.
    A few hours after fitting the new battery I remembred that I hadn't put the bar back that holds it in place so I went and put it back & just thought I'd try it again... It now works?? Peugeot want £75.00 to plug it into a diagnostic machine! Which will probably say "no faults" (did it once before when it was free). iv'e already paid £23.50 to get the radio re coded!!

French cars are rubbish, my brother had a renault that did the same thing, all lights up but nothing happened when you turn the key.

My advice would be sell it asap & get a Honda or a Toyota!

Cheers
    christabel4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
    The same problem here. My peugeot 206 refused to start after fitting a new bulb when I got back from work. I thought it was the battery, I called my break down cover and was told they couldn't help because the car stopped working at home. After a few hours, I went to start the car, Surprise Surprise, It started. What is this problem? What is the issue here? I hope it doesn't happen again.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
    I would begin by removing and fully charging the battery, which most auto part stores will do for free. Also, clean the battery terminals and cable connections.
    Choppo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
    I later found out it was the starter motor sticking... She has to just keep turning the key on and off until it "unsticks"
    Common on 206's apparently... replaced with a recon stater mortor.
    Fortunately this nasty little french thing has gone, last french car we ever own.
    Cost me £430.00 just before we sold it because the rear brake drums locked on while I was driving it, sending me sideways down the road. The shoes come off and lock the brakes up solid. Everything then melted due to the heat produced. Was told peugeot fit two different makes of brakes, the sort we had will eventually do this... luckily no one was following me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Changed head gasket on peugeot 206 now car won't start [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya can some one help!! I just changed the head gasket in my peugeot 206 and now the car won't start and battery died, I tried to jump start it but that didn't work, has anyone had this problem or know what's wrong with it, please advise!

Head gasket changed on peugeot 206, car won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I had my head gasket and timing belt changed on my peugeot 206, the car drove away from the garage fine. I stopped off to do some shopping, went back to the car and it wouldn't start. Was making a whirring sound when I turned the key. Any advice would be appreciated?

Dash lights won't go off and battery goes flat [ 6 Answers ]

Since putting a new battery in the car the dash lights won't go off and the speedo not working. It is a new battery and after a month of driving with the dash light on it went flat and more so when I use the lights at night! Any clues? Subaru leone 1986

Lights on dash won't work [ 2 Answers ]

Can u tell me why the lights on my 97 chevy venture won't work ?

View more questions Search