Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nromero658 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
    How long is it transfer probation from ny to pa?
    If I have an open case in NYC where they sentenced me to probation but I moved to PA before the sentencing date will it be a problem for NY to transfer my case to PA? Will it be a violation since I moved without informing NYC first?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2012, 04:34 AM
    Hello n:

So, you left your house in PA to go to NY for your sentencing hearing, and got probation..

If NY doesn't know you moved, then request a transfer NOW. You SHOULD have told them at your hearing, because you were NOT precluded from moving BEFORE your sentencing, but they may think you moved after...

excon

Jun 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
    No my sentence hearing is on the 28th but I already pleaded and got they told me I'm going to get 5 years probation. So does that mean I'm good?

Jun 13, 2012, 05:27 AM
    I should just tell them I moved when I go to the sentence hearing correct?
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nromero658 View Post
    So does that mean im good?
    Hello n:

Probably... When you're sentenced, tell them you live in PA, and they'll do the transfer themselves..

excon

Jun 13, 2012, 05:31 AM
    Thanks A lot. I'll try and see if it works.

Jun 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Should I tell my probation officer on the meeting I have with her before my sentencing date? The meeting is so I can prove my age so I can get a Y.O. status on my case...
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 04:36 AM
    Should i tell my probation officer on the meeting i have with her before my sentencing date? the meeting is so i can prove my age so i can get a Y.O. status on my case...
    Hello n:

Sure. They don't want surprises.

excon

Jun 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
    Yeaa thanks I did and she said I need to contact my lawyer asap and notify her

Jul 3, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Is it true that you can't move to another state while having a pending case, because my probation officer stated to me that I can't transfer my probation to Pennsylvania unless I've been living here for at least a yea or if I was living here before my arrest date, how do I go about getting the transfer because she really doesn't seem like she want to help me.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 08:22 AM
    my probation officer stated to me that i can't transfer my probation to Pennsylvania unless I've been living here for at least a yea
    Hello again, n:

That provision makes NO sense at all. If what she's saying is true (and I don't believe it is), then it's written down somewhere in a county or state procedure manual... It's a PUBLIC manual, and you have a right to see it. Write your probation officer a very polite letter asking her to supply you with that manual and to refer you to the exact chapter and paragraph where these two restrictions are mentioned.

Send your letter certified, return receipt requested. I'd send a copy to her supervisor too. If the provision she mentioned is NOT true, just by virtue of the fact that you politely asked for confirmation will probably get her off the dime. If it DOESN'T do it, check back and we'll take it to another level.

excon

Jul 3, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Just asking... does the charge matter, like if I plead guilty to a Grand larceny in the 4th degree. That's a felony charge but I got sentenced with 5 years probation as a youthful offender, and my judge also made a judgement to transfer my case "A.s.a.p". Now my probation says there's a federal guideline saying that I can't transfer my case from NY to PA unless have been living in PA for a year, or I was living in PA during or before the time of arrest. I contacted my lawyer and she said she wants to schedule a meeting with the P.O.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 11:14 AM
    No you can move with a case pending as long as it is pending, if you were already given sentenced to probation, then the case is not open it is closed, just pending the sentence to be given.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long would it take to transfer probation from ga to fl? [ 3 Answers ]

How long do probation tranfers from state to state can take

How long will it take for my probation case to get transfer from MD to WA? [ 3 Answers ]

How do u get your probation case transfer

How long does probation transfer take? [ 4 Answers ]

I understand how I need to go about transferring my probation, but the issue is how long it is going to take. I have 1 year unsupervised probation for 1st offense dui in MA. I am going to accept a job in MD and I am planning on asking for the standard two weeks to leave my old job. From what I've...

Probation Transfer - How long will it take? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was charged with a Grand Larceny 4, Felony. And he was given five years of probation. He is currently under the lowest supervision offered - he goes in once a month to see his probation officer, and that's all he has to do. We met while I was going to school in New York state. I live...

How long does it take for a probation transfer to go through [ 2 Answers ]

How long does it take for a probation transfer to go through

View more questions Search