Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michael McGowan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
    2005 toyota sequoia vsc trac, vsc off check engine
    I have a 2005 toyota sequoia. The vsc off, vsc trac, and check engine, lights come on two weeks ago, I took the vehicle to toyota, they told me it's a computer problem. It cost me $1633:00 for repairs. Two week after the same lights came on again. What you suggest is the problem. Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2012, 04:43 AM
    Thoughts:

. Ensure the gas cap is tight. Tighten the cap 3 clicks, after it seats.

. Reset the ECM, by using a code reader or scan tool. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 seconds may work--be sure to record any radio codes first.

. Stop pumping gas into the fuel tank, after the pump clicks off. Fuel may be expanding into the charcoal canister and throwing the VSC/TRAC codes. Topping the tank off, after the nozzle clicks, can result in serious damage to the charcoal evaporative emission system.

The Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) Light and the Traction Control (TRAC) Light are turned on anytime the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on, because both systems are disabled at that time. There is probably nothing wrong with those systems--the root cause is likely the CEL coming on, due to overfueling.

. Replace the charcoal evaporative emission system.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 08:23 AM
    THANK YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Stop pumping gas into the fuel tank, after the pump clicks off. Fuel may be expanding into the charcoal canister and throwing the VSC/TRAC codes. Topping the tank off, after the nozzle clicks, can result in serious damage to the charcoal evaporative emission system.
    Actually, most any diagnostic trouble code that turns on the check engine light can cause the VSC/TRAC system to disable. On some, the cruise control will also become inoperative and also disable the transmission torque converter until the code is cleared.
    I have been known to bark at people at the pumps when I hear that tell-tale "click, click, click." The damage caused by overfilling won't show right away but it will happen and there is only one person to blame: whoever has been filling the tank.
    I hope plenty of people read this and realize. Especially if they reside in a state that does smog or I/M testing, etc.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael McGowan View Post
    I have a 2005 toyota sequoia. the vsc off, vsc trac, and check engine, lights come on two weeks ago, I took the vehicle to toyota, they told me its a computer problem. It cost me $1633:00 for repairs. two week after the same lights came on again. what you suggest is the problem. Thanks
    Take it right back. You're covered. You paid a large bill which should equate to a fixed vehicle.
    Can you look at your bill and let us know what trouble codes were pertaining to a "computer problem"? I rarely see this on your model.
    devildog6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael McGowan View Post
    I have a 2005 toyota sequoia. the vsc off, vsc trac, and check engine, lights come on two weeks ago, I took the vehicle to toyota, they told me its a computer problem. It cost me $1633:00 for repairs. two week after the same lights came on again. what you suggest is the problem. Thanks
    First what was the code for the check engine light? If it was for a after cat oxy sensor. That will set off the VSC OFF & VSC Trac light. (turns traction control off) To protect the drive train. Have the same problem.$72.00 fix for sensor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 toyota sequoia,check engine light on,& trac off lighton.&vso trac light on. [ 16 Answers ]

2003 toyota seuoia. Check engine light on.and traco off light on as well as vso trac light on. I had in shop 4 weeks ago same problem they said it was gas cap not on tight, I tried that today but did not make light go off, help if you can thank you dan

Toyota engine knock overheat sequoia [ 8 Answers ]

I have an '02 Sequioa Limited. The check engine light (along with traction control lights, as I understand is normal) came on while I was driving, then the engine started knocking a couple of minutes later at highway speed My temp gauge went redline. I pulled over, let it cool for 30 minutes,...

2006 Toyota Sequoia - ABS, VSC & Check Engine lights on [ 2 Answers ]

My in-laws have an '06 Sequoia. It was working fine; they used it once in the morning and no lights were on - drove it around, came home and shut it off. When they started it back up to leave again, all the lights popped on. They took it to a dealership who told them the repair would be "between...

05 toyota solara vsc, engine ,trac light [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my VSC, Tac and Engine light to go off in a 05 Solara?

Roland vsc-88 or 55 [ 4 Answers ]

I need a software roland vsc-88 or 55 (virtual sound canvas)... Someone give a link where I can download it... I need a full version... Tnx...

View more questions Search