Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azula18 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
    Drank heavily about 73 hrs ago - will I pass the EtG test?
    I am 5'4", 120 lbs. Very high metabolism. I drank about 5 coors lights and almost a bottle of red wine on Thursday night until approx. 2 am, then woke up at 7 am on Friday and continued to drink about 4 more coors lights until approx. 11 am or noon. I then finalized with about 1/2 shot of vodka at 2 p.m. I have detoxed with bentonite over the weekend, and I test today, Monday, at 415 p.m. This weekend was daylight savings time, so I lost an hour. This puts me at approx. 73 hours since my last sip. Given the amount of alcohol consumed, do I have a chance of passing? By the time you answer this, I will have probably already taken the test, but I would really appreciate your input. Thank you so much

Mar 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
    I will know no later than Friday if I tested positive.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
    First, your basic metabolic rate is of far less concern than your genetic endowment for specific liver enzymes. That is where most of alcohol metabolism occurs.

Second, most research indicates that EtG is not cumulative. That means that the timing for elimination for your drinking on Thurs would begin on BAC=0 from that session and then the same for each successive drink. I'm beginning to question that elimination theory. (Sarkola)

Those that have drank heavily on successive days are the one's most apt to test positive at the higher range. That observation may be skewed as all these tests were conducted on Detox patients. There may be other factors at play.

It is also apparent at your weight and size that you would have still been toxic after 5 hours between drinking sessions. Not a good sign. Also makes it very difficult to calculate BAC at time of last drink. But I suspect your clearance time from BAC=0, during which time you are still creating EtG, was probably in the range of 60-65 hours rather than 73.

Your drinking pattern is worrisome. Excessive drinking leading to drinking on arising (in morning) followed by yet more drinking. That type of harmful drinking is exactly what the EtG test is supposed to detect. Usually it does not.

It is more likely than not that your drinking will not be detected this time but it's about 55/45. However, if some intervention doesn't occur to address your excessive drinking, and you control that, passing the test may be more of a curse than a blessing.

Ref.
    Sarkola, 2003

Mar 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
    I completely agree with you. I became more aggressive with my AA meetings this weekend, and will continue to be aggressive with my treatment program. I recognize this drinking pattern as very problematic, and I am not hoping that my UA will come back negative so that I know what I can get away with in the future. I am just so highly disappointed in myself for succumbing to my triggers and cravings, and I really don't want to screw my good name up with the courts at this point, as it has taken me a year earn that respect.

Needless to say, I respect your input, and regard your opinions of my personal behavoir highly.

I hate to ask you to clarify, but you said more than likely my drinking will not be detected. So what kind of chance do you think I have of passing? Very good? Iffy?

I should know no later than Thursday, and I will update. Thank you
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
    As noted above, the odds are probably slightly in your favor, about 55%. That has all to do with the deficiencies of the test as opposed to your drinking pattern.

The test simply does not perform as represented and that is due to the lack of research in relation to the actual capabilities of the test in relation to alcohol consumed.

Following is a link to an earlier post by a lady that drank far more and in a shorter period and with less time to test. As you will note, I didn't believe she would pass... she did.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/addict...-619164-2.html

I have no confidence in EtG testing. I feel it is widely misrepresented leading to undue confidence in the results. Yet it seems the test is even less effective than even I predict.

Here is another link that fits closely to your case except the individual is physically larger

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medica...-a-622383.html

Once again based on the claims of the test, this individual should never have passed. By reported studies he should not have passed.

So the majority of the information on this test, even that appearing in peer reviewed journals, tends to exaggerate. With reliance on those published studies I am proved wrong in many cases where I predict detection.

On another note, how do you like AA? What type of group do you prefer?

NOTICE: Any person or entity that is subjected to or relies on EtG testing should read this Advisory issued by the US Department of Health and Human Services, September 2006 and remains in effect as of date of this posting. Copy available here > US DHHS Advisory

Mar 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
    I don't really care for AA groups that much, honestly, but I do attend them. My family and friends are a major support, and those are the people I know that I have let down in a major way this time, and that breaks my heart. And the guilt of lying to my probation officer has made me physically ill, and consumed my every thought for the past week. So much in fact, that losing her trust and respect is the only real punishment I am afraid of, more so than any jail time that I may be sentenced.

I acknowledge that drinking has no place in my life, as my relationship with alcohol soured years ago. I despise the fact that it will be an on-going process for the rest of my life, and that it is thrown in my face every where I turn. Like a bad divorce that I can't just leave in the past. The only saving grace in that matter is that my life is truly better without that substance, in all facets.

My days have been brighter since I began soughting out sobriety a year ago, whether mandated or not. My problem was deep-rooted, and the manner in which I posed my question to you accurately describes my behavior for many, many years before I decided to put the bottle down last April 3rd.

Progress, not perfection, I suppose.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
    It sounds as though you have a clear idea of the problem. Most importantly that drinking is a problem for you. That is the main obstacle to recovery. Recognition and desire. You have the keys.

The fact that you lapsed isn't unusual. Of those that receive professional treatment 93% have at least one lapse. Yet most of those do not relapse (or return to their old drinking pattern). So this was a bump in the road. To be expected. Disappointing but not defeating.

The reason I inquired about AA was because it is often blindly used as a resource for courts and treatment facilities. While you may be mandated to attend AA that does not limit your ability to seek out other programs that may be better suited to your personal needs.

Alcohol use disorders (AUD) (note plurality) fall along a very long and diverse spectrum. AUDs are not amenable to a one-size-fits-all approach. What works for one may be counter-productive for another.

Most other programs (like AA) are free. Some make a more specific approach, such as Women For Sobriety, addressing the specific problems of the female. SMART Recovery is another for men and women that has garnered widespread acceptance. SMART offers a more flexible and scientifically oriented approach. There are many others.

If interested, we could work toward aligning you with some other resources. From there you could explore on your own. Many of the resources can be reviewed on line allowing you to at least look at their basic approach.

So don't even think about giving up on your pursuit of sobriety. Since I entered the field 40 years ago many things have changed. Today we recognize the need for a more diverse interpretation and response to AUDs. If AA isn't working for you then there is another approach that will. Of course AA is the answer for some... I don't mean to diminish that point.

All you need do is ask and we will provide any referral information available.

Mar 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
    I did pass. But that in no way eases the anguish from the stress I went through, and that I put my family through. To anyone reading this post, and the whole conversation: IT'S NOT WORTH IT!! PICK UP A PHONE AND ASK FOR HELP! DO NOT PICK UP A DRINK!

Again, thank you Dr. Bill. You are like a voice of reason in what was a very muddled mind. Much appreciated
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by azula18 View Post
    I did pass. But that in no way eases the anguish from the stress I went through, and that I put my family through. To anyone reading this post, and the whole conversation: IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!! PICK UP A PHONE AND ASK FOR HELP! DO NOT PICK UP A DRINK!

Again, thank you Dr. Bill. You are like a voice of reason in what was a very muddled mind. Much appreciated
    Hope you view this as an opportunity rather than a victory. Your drinking wasn't detected because the EtG test is flawed, misrepresented and misunderstood. That in no way bears on the underlying problem.

You now have the chance to address an apparent problem. Please do so.

Keep in mind that the fear and apprehension you experienced subsides in short order while the desire to drink does not. Act now to recognize and control that tendency.

If I/we can be of further assistance to that end just ask.

Thanks for reporting your results.
    miztery Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Hope you view this as an opportunity rather than a victory. Your drinking wasn't detected because the EtG test is flawed, misrepresented and misunderstood. That in no way bears on the underlying problem.

You now have the chance to address an apparent problem. Please do so.

Keep in mind that the fear and apprehension you experienced subsides in short order while the desire to drink does not. Act now to recognize and control that tendency.

If I/we can be of further assistance to that end just ask.

Thanks for reporting your results.
    Azula, you are so bright and eloquent. I nearly sobbed reading this thread so thanks for your posts. Tell us how you are doing these days. You seem to have a lot to offer.
    3303tou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Did you pass the test? I drank on Sunday night a bottle of wine. On Monday a.m. I blew . 078 @*: @ 8:00 a.m. Then I drank lots of water and was .000 @ 11:a.m. Will I pas an EtG on Thursday @ 5:30 p.m. Jeannie please reply. Thank you!
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3303tou View Post
    Did you pass the test? I drank on Sunday night a bottle of wine. On Monday a.m. I blew . 078 @*: @ 8:00 a.m. Then I drank lots of water and was .000 @ 11:a.m. Will I pas an etg on Thursday @ 5:30 p.m.? Jeannie please reply. Thank you!
    She passed. See previous page, Post #8.

May 2, 2012, 04:41 PM
    You will pass, but I hope you heed the words I wrote after the agony of putting myself through such an ordeal. And please find insight in Dr. Bill's words, as well.

Also, how do you know what your BAC was? What was your detection method? It sounds like you are spending more time protecting your drinking than protecting yourself from drinking. I've been in that boat.

I hope it works out for you for the right reasons, and that in the future, putting yourself through this kind of anxiety will stop being an option. It's just not worth it.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by azula18 View Post
    You will pass, but I hope you heed the words I wrote after the agony of putting myself thru such an ordeal. And please find insight in Dr. Bill's words, as well.

Also, how do you know what your BAC was? What was your detection method? It sounds like you are spending more time protecting your drinking than protecting yourself from drinking. I've been in that boat.

I hope it works out for you for the right reasons, and that in the future, putting yourself thru this kind of anxiety will stop being an option. It's just not worth it.
    So happy to see you are sticking around.

It is so helpful to have one speak from the standpoint of personal experience. Far more effective than the technical advice and direction that I can provide.

Your presence is most appreciated.
    ROYAL STATUS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 09:47 AM
    I started drinking on Saturday morning at 12:30am by Saturday at 1:00pm I not only drank that 750ML bottle but started to drink a new bottle weighing at a gallon. Sunday came and I woke up drunk and started to drink another 750ml bottle in which I finally stopped drinking by Tuesday around 2pm.. I just took an ETG test and I want to know if I have a chance at passing? I am a very active, fit; male and I drink tons of water and try to keep up with my nutrition... What are my chances

Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I started drinking on Saturday morning at 12:30am by Saturday at 1:00pm I not only drank that 750ML bottle but started to drink a new bottle weighing at a gallon. Sunday came and I woke up drunk and started to drink another 750ml bottle in which I finally stopped drinking by tuesday around 2pm.. I just took an ETG test and I wanna know if I have a chance at passing? I am a very active, fit; male and I drink tons of water and try to keep up with my nutrition... What are my chances
    Your chances of passing are about 11%: That is the false negative error rate of the test.
    bretttt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Hi Dr. Bill!
    Please respond asap. I had 1/2 a shot of rum Wednesday night around midnight, probably close to the alc content of one beer. It is now Friday night and I'm called into test tomorrow morning at 8am. So it would be approx 56 hrs. I'm kind of freaking out this is the third time in less than a week I've been called in. what is your opinion of my likeliness to pass? I'm 6'3 165 w a pretty high metabolism. Should I take any supplements, or anything? Please let me know asap.

Dec 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bretttt View Post
    Hi Dr. Bill!!
    Please respond asap. I had 1/2 a shot of rum wednesday night around midnight, probably close to the alc content of one beer. it is now friday night and i'm called into test tomorrow morning at 8am. so it would be approx 56 hrs. i'm kinda freaking out this is the third time in less than a week i've been called in. what is your opinion of my likeliness to pass?? i'm 6'3 165 w a pretty high metabolism. should i take any supplements, or anything? please let me know asap.
    If you truly, and I mean truly, only had that much to drink, you will be fine. That is like drinking too much listerine and accidentally swallowing two day before your test. Let me ask, was that tiny amount of alcohol worth the stress?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I drank on Friday will I pass an EtG test on Monday [ 14 Answers ]

On Friday I had about 10 drinks no more but possibly less over the weekend I didn't exercise or drink huge amounts of water but and had a glass of cranberry juice before I went to bed my test was at 4:30 on Monday and I drink a little over a half gallon of water starting at about 3:00 ending at...

Can I pass an EtG test after about 30 hrs from my last drink? [ 6 Answers ]

I literally had one average whiskey and coke ( maybe a shot or shot and 1/2 of cheap whiskey) about 24 hrs ago. I wasn't aware and had never even heard of this test until my attorney told me about it. Apparently I am going to have to take this EtG test in the morning, along with some others I am...

Can I pass an EtG test on Monday if I drank on Tuesday [ 5 Answers ]

I drank about 7-8 shots on Tuesday,at about 4-30 pm. I have to take an EtG test on the following Monday at 5,(which is today), do you think I will pass the test?

After drinking heavily how long does it take to pass a EtG test? [ 1 Answers ]

My last drink was at 11:30 pm on a Wednesday night. I took a urine test the following Tuesday morning at 8:30am. Will I pass the EtG test?

View more questions Search