Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LauraBell Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2012, 08:37 AM
    If I took a dose of nyquil will I blow a violation in my smartstart breathalyzer
    Please advise, thank you!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBell View Post
    Please advise, thank you!
    Likely... depends on which type of Nyquill you took. There is a version without alcohol. If you took that kind you would be OK.

Jun 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Likely.....depends on which type of Nyquill you took. There is a version without alcohol. If you took that kind you would be ok.
    I took cherry vanilla, it had 10% alcohol :/
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Yes it is very possible that you will fail

Jun 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
    I blew a .03 and the limit on the device is. 03 so they consider it a violation. Well I called smartstart right away and they advised me to wash my mouth out and change my mouth piece. I did everything they told me and then I blew again and passed. I called my PO the next day and told her too. I hope I don't get into too much trouble or any for this. I didn't drink! The violation for blowing the .03 happened on Tues and I also took a UA Friday morning at 7am. Anyway I just hope everything gets panned out! I'm so tired of stressing :/
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Let's trade a little information. How long after taking the NyQuil did you use the breathalyzer? How much NyQuil did you take?

You should have been provided with instructions for use of the Smart Start Device. If not you can find them here by model number:

Smart Start Instructions

You should read and understand completely. It is easy to get a false read on these field devices and you must know how to respond when that happens.

Jun 6, 2012, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Let's trade a little information. How long after taking the NyQuil did you use the breathalyzer? How much NyQuil did you take?

You should have been provided with instructions for use of the Smart Start Device. If not you can find them here by model number:

Smart Start Instructions

You should read and understand completely. It is easy to get a false read on these field devices and you must know how to respond when that happens.

I took the nyquil at like 10:00 and then blew the. 03 are about 10:30. It just completely slipped my mind that I would fail for that! So I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row. I took the dose recommended 2 TBSP.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraBell View Post
    I took the nyquil at like 10:00 and then blew the. 03 are about 10:30. It just completely slipped my mind that I would fail for that!! So I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row. I took the dose recommended 2 TBSP.
    Bad timing. Probably a combination of oral and breath. . 03 is higher than would be expected. In the future after using any alcohol containing product, mouthwash, some tooth pastes, and in particular cold medicine (that contains the same amount of alcohol as an equivalent drink of wine) allow two hours for elimination and wash out your mouth with water (per instructions).
    abryant2223 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 08:02 AM
    Hey, what ever happened to you? Did they violate you? I am curious because the same thing happened to me. I just don't know what the bac reading was because I will not meet with my PO until Tuesday. Any advice? I have been walking a straight arrow and have never messed up since now.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Everybody claims they have been walking a straight and narrow... and most of them haven't been. Just read the posts about people binge drinking and hoping they pass their random tests...

What happens is what they decide... they will likely violate you. There is nothing you can do because its already too late.

Its been no great secret for years that there are non-alcoholic mouth washes by ALL the major manufacturers... ifs CLEARLY on the labels, its in their advertisements, and certainly this has been directly told to you by the authorities as well.

Its very easy to get the non-alcohol containing varieties in any store. So easy it's a concience choice to get the ones WITH alcohol.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
    What do you think caused the device to trip?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can nyquil show up on EtG tests [ 2 Answers ]

Just took an EtG test had 3 beers the night before and wondering if I fail it I could blame it on nyquil

Is alcohol-free nyquil safe to take [ 1 Answers ]

I feel like I'm coming down with something. Feeling very sick. NyQuil usually works for me. Since I am on ETG tests, I cannot take the regular NyQuil. But is it OK to take alcohol-free vicks nyquil?

Honeywell smartstart II SV9520LT [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the diagnostic colour codes for this Gas valve. PS I do know the valve failed due to water damage. Had a large fountain in the basement this summer.

How Long Dose It Take A Probation Violation To Go Through ? [ 3 Answers ]

I Know I Have Made Quite A Few Posts On Here An Im Sorry Im Just So Worried I Hope Some One That Truly Knows What They Are Talking About Can Answer My Question Soon . I Got A Owi While On Probation My Po Said She Wasn't Violating Me As Long As I Went To Classes An I Didn't Get Arrested Again An I...

View more questions Search