Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normrefct Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Can I Tile over Tile?
    Hello. I am about to start gutting out one of our bathrooms. Our plan is to replace the existing floor tiles. Can I lay the new tiles over the existing ones if they are all solidily in place. If yes how is this done?

Thank you!
    seamus kelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Yes you can tile over tiles but only once. If the existing tiles are shiny score them with a tile scribe or angle grinder for better adhesion. You can also use a latex addative that can be mixed in with the floor adhesive. The laytex is used when laying tiles on wooden surfaces such as upstairs wooden floors in bathrooms for flexability, it also makes the adhesive very sticky when mixed. Ihave tiled over many floors using it and did not have to score the existing tiles underneath. Scoring is cheaper, laytex is cleaner
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Even if the tiles are sound it just seems like maybe less trouble now for more possibly later... but a Yahoo search using "tile over tile" brought up these links that say yes, you can:

http://www.thetiledoctor.com/repair/tileovertile.cfm

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=27285
    fdelorenzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Comment on kp2171's post
    Thanks for the links!
    pointsgod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 08:35 PM
    Can you lay new carpet over existing carpet
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
    It can be done, but is not a good idea. The original carpet will start to rot as it needs air to breath. U also run the risk of vermin living in it. It may start to smell after about a year.

The padding usually does not have to be replaced unless it is very old and dried out.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-tile and new coping [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- Gunite pool repair help seems to be minimal on the web. I would like to know if replacing both coping and tile what to do first, the coping or the tile and why? Thanks

Tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put a ceramic tile floor in the bathroom. Presently there is 5/8 inch pressedboard for flooring with 1/2 in plywood subfloor. Can I put down a 1/4 in backerboard and tile, or due I have to cut out the 1st level of pressed board ? Thanks Tim:confused:

Tile [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between ceramic or porcelain tile?

Tile over formica? [ 6 Answers ]

Help - I am trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Can I install tile over sound kitchen counter formica ?

View more questions Search