Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nutmag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 12:24 PM
    How do you teach/make a dog eat dog food
    Hello,I need a little bit of help so would you mind giving me some tips please?Ihave an almost 6 moths old black labrador which I've just received and she's been given human food.I am trying to make her eat dry food but she only eats half of what I give her even though she should be eating all of it.Do you have any advice you can give me?>.<
    I haven't given her any human food at least not myself,but the person from where I bought her did and now it is kind of hard to change that.It's not like she is not eating at all but she doesn't eat as much as she should at her age.The vet said that I should put 250 g of dry food at each meal,twice a day and she only eats like 125 g.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutmag View Post
    Hello,I need a little bit of help so would you mind giving me some tips please?Ihave an almost 6 moths old black labrador which i've just received and she's been given human food.I am trying to make her eat dry food but she only eats half of what i give her even though she should be eating all of it.Do you have any advice you can give me?>.<
    Don't feed her human food... when its hungry it WILL eat the dog food.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 12:35 PM
    Yes, offer only the dry food, presumably a high quality puppy food.
    Read the packaging to know exactly what you should be feeding, so you'll know she is not getting too much or too little.
    Human food is not for dogs, refrain form giving in. I realize that may be hard to do but you'll need to resist the temptation.
    Feed her at set times, allow her plenty of time to eat then take the food up.
    She'll soon get the hang of it.
    Healthy dogs will not starve themselves.
    Nutmag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Don't feed her human food...when its hungry it WILL eat the dog food.
    I haven't at least not myself,but the person from where I bought her did and now it is kind of hard to change that.It's not like she is not eating at all but she doesn't eat as much as she should at her age.The vet said that I should put 250 g of dry food at each meal,twice a day and she only eats like 125 g.
    daniels1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutmag View Post
    Hello,I need a little bit of help so would you mind giving me some tips please?Ihave an almost 6 moths old black labrador which i've just received and she's been given human food.I am trying to make her eat dry food but she only eats half of what i give her even though she should be eating all of it.Do you have any advice you can give me?>.<
    An adult dog, 1 year and older should be feed once a day. They can be fed a good dry dog food of your choice. Follow the recommended chart on the bag for their normal weight, not their obese weight. If you do this they will eat all their recommended amount. Also be sure they have plenty of water to drink.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I make my dog eat dog food again? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I moved from Miami to Pembroke Pines last December after 2 years in an apartment. Our chow chow who is 2 years old and initially weighed about 40 pounds lost approximately 10 pounds after the move; she was extremely thin. We tried giving her all brands of dog food without success....

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and she is mix she is 2 year old and when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food and I giver her a lot of kind of food but she would still not eat what do you think I should do

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and mix she is 2 year old when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food I giver her alots of food but she would not eat it what do you think I should do Help

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search