Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j143m Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Passing an EtG alcohol test
    I am a 24 yr old female 125 Lbs. I drank a pint of Vodka between 12:00 and 8:00 PM on Sunday. I ran ~20 miles from Monday- Wednesday and drank gallons of water. I tested at 5:30 pm Wednesday. What do you think the probability is that I could pass?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by j143m View Post
    I am a 24 yr old female 125 Lbs. I drank a pint of Vodka between 12:00 and 8:00 PM on Sunday. I ran ~20 miles from Monday- Wednesday and drank gallons of water. I tested at 5:30 pm Wednesday. What do you think the probability is that I could pass?
    Low...

Drinking lots of water and running doesn't change the speed your liver metabolizes alcohol in your blody. And drinking that much water is going to tip them off you were trying to cheat the test anyway because it causes an electrolyte imbalance...

Jun 1, 2012, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Low.....

drinking lots of water and running doesn't change the speed your liver metabolizes alcohol in your blody. And drinking that much water is going to tip them off you were trying to cheat the test anyway because it causes an electrolyte imbalance...
    I also took Vitamin B
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 12:46 PM
    The people running these tests know what to look for and what the various ways to attempt to cheat look like.
    JGomez99 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 02:33 PM
    I passed the EtG after only 45 HOURS from last consumption, and I had 10+ beers in a period of 7 hours. These test's are incredibly inaccurate, and the "72 hours" claim in my opinion is for extreme cases. Being a healthy 23 year old male with a great metabolism played in my favor I'm sure, but I refuse to believe my excessive exercise, sweating, and water consumption had no impact on my results either. I know you already posted on my question earlier, but I'm just sharing my experiences with others in effort to ease your mind. I can't describe how stressed out I was until I received my negative results. Keep your head up.

Jun 1, 2012, 02:51 PM
    That you for the positive feedback!! I will just have to wait. How long did you results take?

Jun 1, 2012, 02:55 PM
    No problem! It took exactly one week from the day I took the test. I called everyday until they had them available for me to pick them up. Just keep calling everyday, unless it's sent to probation. If that's the case, call them in a few days or so to see if they have received them yet.

Jun 1, 2012, 03:04 PM
    It is sent to probation. I don't want to call and raise any flags because its non reporting so I rarely talk to her. Figures crossed.

Jun 1, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Yeah I gotcha. Let me know your results go.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2012, 07:35 AM
    A pint of vodka contains 8.5 standard drinks (US). Consumed over an 8-hour period. Since alcohol (EtOH) is metabolized at a steady albeit individual rate beginning with first drink. That benefits your cause.

It sounds like you may be confusing EtOH metabolism with EtG metabolism. They follow two different models. EtG is created as EtOH is metabolized. It's a by-product, a direct metabolite that is then eliminated via a process known as enzyme kinetics. Not the same process as EtOH.

The problem is we don't know how much EtG is produced by any given individual. That is highly variable between individuals but also varies by time and condition within the same individual. After drinking the same amount of alcohol it is quite possible to be EtG clear at 48 hours on one occasion and test positive at 60 hours on another.

Any attempt to time alcohol consumption in relation to EtG synthesis let alone elimination is very risky. You seem to be counting on the fact that the test is unreliable. And it certainly is. EtG is used only in the non-regulated drug testing field. There are no uniform standards that apply to this test. That is a decision left to the testing agency and the laboratory. The result is that not only is the test unreliable but is often carelessly performed. Most labs now offer the test without confirmation and that adds an additional 15% margin of error. So the unreliable and unpredictable nature of the test is just as likely to accrue to you detriment. It would be my advice to stop trying to time this test.

Exercise has some effect in eliminating EtOH from your system. Anything that increases your basic metabolic rate with have some effect, but nothing appreciable. For instance, it has been established that a good meal increases liver metabolism at a far greater rate than physical exercise. Vitamins seem to be of no detectable benefit. (Pawan, Ramchandani) This applies to EtOH metabolism. The direct effect on EtG is unknown.

Even before this test was introduced in the US it had been demonstrated that EtG was water soluble. (Dahl, 2002) The promoters marketed the test without properly disclosing that information, and with knowledge that the most widely used method employed to defeat a drug test is flushing. Even to this day that information is not disclosed to those paying for and relying on the test.

Will you pass the EtG test at 72 hours. Probably but there is also a chance that you won't. That is simply unpredictable nature of EtG and the flawed processes of the test itself.

Pawan (1972)
    Ramchandani (2001)
    Dahl (2002)

Jun 21, 2012, 04:47 PM
    I passed!! Thank god. I will never put myself is this situation again. Not worth the anxiety and worry. Thank you!
    rickall9 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Well what after 132 hours Dr Bill for EtG. Test
    Dance14 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 06:35 AM
    It is sent to probation. I don't want to call and raise any flags because its non reporting so I rarely talk to her. Figures crossed.
    How long did you have to wait to hear the results from probation? Did you call them or did they call you? I'm in a similar situation.. I'm dying to know if I passed... But like u said I don't Want to call them and raise a red flag. All I want is piece of mind..
    javi5280 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 07:37 AM
    I drank a small glass of sake on Sunday night at 8pm and tested at 5pm Wednesday night will I come up possitive for an ETG test?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

Passing an ETG Test [ 7 Answers ]

I am a struggling Alcoholic! I have a concern, I am a 41 yr old female, weighing approx. 155 pounds, on Thursday, 12/15/11 b/t 9pm-10pm I had 3 glasses of White wine @ 8 oz each and than on Thursday, 12/22/11 b/t 9:30pm and 11:00pm(this being time of last drink) I had 4 Glasses of White wine @ 8 oz...

Please help regarding passing an EtG test [ 3 Answers ]

I drank a lot this weekend, a fifth of rum, 3 shots, and 4 beers over the course of Friday and Saturday. I have a test at 630 on Tuesday evening. Do I have any chance of passing an ETG test. I am 37, work out each day, I am in good shape. I weight 140 lbs.

Passing EtG alcohol test [ 1 Answers ]

If someone drinks on Thursday and has an EtG alcohol test on Tuesday afternoon, will they be able to pass the test? This person worked out and also sat in a sauna for two days in a row and drank about 3 gallons of water 2 days before the test. Just curious. Thanks.

View more questions Search