Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NurseCindy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Manufactured home title
    My mortgage company states they do not have a title for my manufactured home and neither do I. The NCDOT states that a title was never filed with them. The place where I bought my home is no longer in business. I am wanting to sell my home but can't without a title. What are my options?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Mar 2, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseCindy
    My mortgage company states they do not have a title for my manufactured home and neither do I. The NCDOT states that a title was never filed with them. The place where I bought my home is no longer in business. I am wanting to sell my home but can't without a title. What are my options?
    I'm assuming you are in North Carolina. In California older mobile home titles are handled by the Department of Motor Vehicles (just like a car). Newer ones are handled by a State agency (The Department of Housing and Community Development). In either case... with the serial number and decal number you should be able to process a "Lost Title" request. If you bought your home from a private party (not new) things can get a little difficult but I'll bet your state will be more than willing to take your money and give you a new title (and registration document). Luckily you have evidence of being the legal owner due to your finance company.

Good luck!
    hgallyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Mar 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Correction... older mobilehomes do not go through DMV any longer. In California all titling is done through HCD.
    Dealer in California
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Somehow I can't believe that your lender would loan the money without being listed and having a copy of a title. It just does not happen.
    If that was the case then they don't have a security on it, and it is just a personal loan.

But as noted you will have to make application for a title, using the serial number of the home, manufactor and so on.
    Manufactured home guru Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

May 25, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Wrong info

May 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseCindy
    This happens all the time. If the MSO ( manufactures statement of Origin) was never titled with the DMV than the DMV will not be able to issue a dup title. Your first step is to call the NC DMV 919-715-7000 and confirm they have no record of that serial number. If they do you may proceed with a dup title request. If they do not you need to contact the manufacture and see if they will issue dup MSO. If the home is less than 10 years old this should not be a problem. There may be a fee in doing so. I have paid up to $75 for dup mso. If the manufacture is unwilling to issue dup mso your last hope is a title bond. You may find the NC instructions in this link. NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Vehicles Being Bonded
    Goodluck.
    ahorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
    My question is almost the same but in the state of Ohio... Can you help me..

Nov 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Your first step is to find the serial number or VIN or your home. Once you have the serial number you can access the Ohio BMV website http://www.dps.state.oh.us/atps/
    And search to see if a title exists and what status it is in. That will determine what your next step will be.
    redsolo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
    I have a very similar problem. I bought the home in Missouri, but now it sits in Oklahoma. I never received a title, and I have contacted the department of revenue, who has no information on it. I need a title so that I can sell the house. Please help
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redsolo View Post
    I have a very similar problem. I bought the home in Missouri, but now it sits in Oklahoma. I never received a title, and I have contacted the department of revenue, who has no information on it. I need a title so that I can sell the house. Please help
    Who did you buy this home from in Missouri? A private person or a dealer?
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Manufactured home guru View Post
    Your first step is to find the serial number or VIN or your home. Once you have the serial number you can access the Ohio BMV website http://www.dps.state.oh.us/atps/
    and search to see if a title exists and what status it is in. That will determine what your next step will be.
    This Ohio BMV site does not work for searching for VIN or S/N's of Mobile Homes. The ONLY way you can access these records would be in person at the Ohio DMV office. Mobile Home title information is not available on line to the general public. Do not be mislead on this.
    slatcher Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 11:10 AM
    I currently have a mortgage on my home & I just went through a divorce. I have a singlewide as a rental, which was paid off by my current lender when I purchased my doublewide. I used my land as collateral. During the divorce I presented the title to my ex-husband to have him sign it over to me. He did & after going to the DMV, I realized that I actually have the title to the doublewide of the home I live in now w/ the lien on it. The title is now just titled in my name though the DMV & shows no lien. What does any of this mean, if anything? THe title was suppose to be retired when I settled when the home was purchased. I want to use this as leverage with the bank to get my home refinanced since I am having trouble doing so on my own w/ the economy the way it is. If I don't refinance soon my ex is forcing me to sell the home & land.
    LaurieJH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 03:51 PM
    I have a similar problem only in Colorado you have to through DMV you get it titled then in turn they send it to another company to process it but recently after two frustrating and aggravating months I called to find out the status was told that the lien-holder sold the lien to someone else... I call the bank to get information only eight depts later find out they can't find anything about the mobile home... argh!! Now I am sitting here still owning this mh in the county's eyes but cna't sell because the state has rejected my application due to some foul up on someone's part.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Oct 18, 2010, 04:50 PM

I've noticed a lot of questions that involve searching for serial numbers and VINs. All mobile homes are sold with a plate installed on the exterior (usually at the rear of the home at a height just above the interior floor) that indicates the manufacturer's name, date of manufacture, serial number and decal number. It's a terrible hassle if these are ever removed (happens a lot when a home is painted). If the plate is removed you can often find some of the required info painted or "scratched" on the chassis in front near the frame that attaches the "tongue" (of course this is under the house behind the skirting).

Good luck and I really hope that you all still have those ID plates on your homes!!
    prissygirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
    I too bought a mobile home-used double wide from a dealer here in colo and still have not got title, what are my rights.
    coffm2121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
    I purchased a mobile home in wv I do not have the title and the DMV here states it has never had a title with the serial number on the home. I need insurance on it and no one will insure it. What can I do?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coffm2121 View Post
    I purchased a mobile home in wv I do not have the title and the DMV here states it has never had a title with the serial number on the home. I need insurance on it and noone will insure it. What can I do?
    Go down to the county offices and talk with the department who issues permits for mobile homes to be placed in their county. By law no home mover will move a MH without the permit so you may be in luck. Also, the tax assessors office may have info on taxes paid on your mh over the years and have a s/n for it. There has to be something down at the county that shows this home is on that piece of ground even if you are on private land or in a park.

Also, there is another place to look for the s/n in the home. There is a white sheet that is sometimes posted in the kitchen in one of the upper cabinets by the stove area or in the master bedroom closet. It has a big map of the US on it showing the wind and snow load of the home. Hopefully your home is not too old and that the paper is still there. It will have the name of the company who manufactured it and the date and s/n on it.

If you have no title for the home just HOW did you purchase it? And from whom?
    geribarkerg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
    My mobile home was stolen off my property as was also the title in Georgia I want to know how I can get another title to prove that the home belongs to me?
    nonnito5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
    I have the same question but for the state of NJ? I need to find out asap as I am moving very shortly
    simsaug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 08:11 AM
    I am in Georgia and I bought a handyman special mobile home.iam going too fix it up and sell it but .I don't have a title because the person that I bought it from has died.how can I get one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Manufactured home [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a neighborhood where houses go for between$700,000 -$1,000,000+ range in the Bay Area.Would there be something wrong with having a pre-fab house built on my lot?Would it diminish the value of the house vs. a traditional constructed house?I need to tear down my house in the future and...

Repossession of Manufactured Home [ 4 Answers ]

I co-signed for someone to purchase a MH. Long story short-The lending company (Green Tree) called me. The person in the MH is 3 months behind and they wanted me to pay the amount. I told them(GreenTree) that if the payments aren't being paid then go get the MH. The rep from Green Tree then told me...

Repossession of Manufactured Home Due to Default [ 1 Answers ]

My corporation, a Georgia corporation, is the Holder of a Promissory Note, which Note is currently in default, as defined by the provisions of such Note. As collateral for the Note, Borrower originally granted Holder a security interest in the underlying asset being purchased by Borrower with the...

Manufactured home default law before repossesion [ 7 Answers ]

I just have a question about the law that surrounds manufactured homes (mh). Our mh loan is due on the 1st, we are generally always late, usually paid on 12th or later. We never not pay, we pay. The company that our loan is through has a guy who is completely rude. He considers it 30 days late...

View more questions Search