Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wannabecook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
    Plain and All purpose flour
    What is the difference between plain flour and all purpose flour?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:05 AM
    From the following site: Flour, Types of Flour used in baking, Buying and Storing Flour

All-purpose flour is a blend of hard and soft wheat; it may be bleached or unbleached. It is usually translated as "plain flour." All-purpose flour is one of the most commonly used and readily accessible flour in the United States. Flour that is bleached naturally as it ages is labeled "unbleached," while chemically treated flour is labeled "bleached." Bleached flour has less protein than unbleached. Bleached is best for pie crusts, cookies, quick breads, pancakes and waffles. Use unbleached flour for yeast breads, Danish pastry, puff pastry, strudel, Yorkshire pudding, éclairs, cream puffs and popovers.
    You also might want to check out the site mentioned above and the one below for some excellent explanations about the various types of flours and their uses.

Kitchen Dictionary: flour
    coochie caker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Comment on Clough's post
    I RARELY bake and this answer helped a lot
    daschreck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
    I made lemon bars this year using all purpose flour. I made two recipes, because I was not satisfied with the first batch.
    Previous years, I have used regular flour. They have always turned out perfectly.
    This is what happened this year. The cookie "crust" crumbles and breaks apart when I cut into it. Both batches. The lemon custard filling is runny and doesn't set. Both batches.
    For this reason, I would not recommend using all purpose and regular flour interchangeably.
    I will go back to the regular flour next Easter.
    RubyMittal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 10:37 PM
    All purpose flour is used for Indian Nan, cakes, Pizza, Bread etc. It is especially suited for biscuits, muffins, cakes.
    Simple flour is whole wheat flour.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 04:50 AM
    Whole wheat flour and "simple flour" are two entirely different things.
    PolkaDotPanda Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daschreck View Post
    I made lemon bars this year using all purpose flour. I made two recipes, because I was not satisfied with the first batch.
    Previous years, I have used regular flour. They have always turned out perfectly.
    This is what happened this year. The cookie "crust" crumbles and breaks apart when I cut into it. Both batches. The lemon custard filling is runny and doesn't set. Both batches.
    For this reason, I would not recommend using all purpose and regular flour interchangeably.
    I will go back to the regular flour next Easter.
    If by "regular" flour you mean "Self-rising", then no, you shouldn't use all-purpose flour in place of self-rising flour if the recipe calls for self-rising. Self-rising flour has leavening agents and salt in it, whereas all-purpose does not. If you look at the package labeling, it will tell you what's in it, and all-purpose flour contains nothing but flour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it plain flour or self-raising? [ 15 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! :confused: :confused: :confused: I seem to recall that there is some way of telling, like by mixing it with water and seeing if it bubbles, but... I tried that with some flour that is in a bag still, so I...

Plain Flour [ 3 Answers ]

In Australia, recipes either use plain flour or self raising flour. I wish to use an American recipe. May plain flour be used in place of 'all purpose flour'?

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

Plain flour [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me how to use plain flour in self-rising flour recipes?

Plain flour means [ 1 Answers ]

HI What does a plain flour mean.. is it rice flour?

View more questions Search