Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Filthy_Gorgeous Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 10:28 AM
    How to dye black hair red.
    I've been dying my hair for about 3 years now. My natural color is a very nice shade of medium to dark brown. At first I began by simple bleach highlights, giving my ahir the effect that it was all over dirty blonde. About a year and a half ago I began dying my hair red, and tried a few different shades, enjoying them all. I later dyed my hair back to brown for a few months before recently dying my hair black. I want to return to my fun auburn/burgundy red color, but am not sure how to go about it. I'm in college so I don't exactly have a disposable income. I was curious as to whether the hair stripping processes sold at local pharmacies will do just enough so that the red will stick to my hair? I don't want to bleach it, my hair is too damaged already. I've also heard of buying a VERY VERY light shade of red haircolor, and that between the lightness of the shade and the black, it will even out nicely. Iss this true? Does anyone have any relatively cheap suggestions?:confused:
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 11:56 AM
    The first thing you need to understand is that once hair is colored, it contains artificial pigment. Artificial pigment cannot be lightened using another, lighter haircoloring. You can darken it (deposit more dark pigment), but you cannot lighten it. This is why color removers were invented.

There are two types of color removers: Bleaching (oxidizing) agents and reducing agents. Reducing agents dissolve the artificial pigment so that it can be washed out. Oxidizing agents try to lighten the artificial pigment. Oxidizing agents don't always work and if you try and fail to get the hair light enough, you're out of luck (you can't try an oxidizing agent followed by a reducing agent -- it won't work). Reducing agents are less damaging to the hair. Reducing-type color removers include ColorFix, Color Oops and Igora Phantom. Color Zap and Effasol are oxidizing agents. For your information, here are some instructions for using ColorFix:

Hair Color, Hair Care and The No More Bad Hair Days Kit by Robert Craig Salon Products, Ltd.

So, the first step is to use color remover to remove the black/brown dye. The next step, if you get all of that out, is to use a new dye to try to get the color you want. If the hair isn't light enough after using color remover (hopefully all or almost all of the artificial pigment is out), you have to bleach to get it to the level you wish and then you dye it (tone it). Your natural color is quite dark so if you wish to get lighter than a level 4 or 5, you'll have to do some bleaching (a light shade of haircoloring won't work).

Using a light shade of haircoloring over colored hair is a recipe for damaging hair -- nothing more.
    IntoTheRedBlog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 03:40 AM
    I've written a blog post about how to dye black hair red - hope it helps :) How to dye hair red / ginger | Into The Red

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How badly will having black hair dye stripped out damage my hair? [ 24 Answers ]

I recently dyed my naturally dark brown hair a bright black colour, and I am not very pleased with it at all. I know that stripping the colour on my own would seriously damage my hair (something I would like to avoid, as I have just finished growing out/cutting off some very damaged hair), but if I...

Black hair to lighter hair.this is a long story, take heed first time dyers! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, here goes. I'm not a professional hair colourist, but I am a long standing veteran of home hair colour - I've had my hair all colours, all lengths, all styles and at the moment it's jet black. I've broken all the cardinal rules of hair colouring, and I can safely say that it's too much of a...

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

View more questions Search