Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boonme54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 04:18 AM
    pouring asphalt over existing slab garage
    I have 5x42 walk on the back of my home that joins our drive way that joins the house on the end 24 wide both are joined like an L. the concrete was replaced several years ago but has sunk several inches allowing water to pool at the house. Can asphalt be poured over the old sunk concrete and continue up the entire drive to form one solid slap of asphalt. My worry is the rise and fall of winter. Winters are not as harsh as they once were . A lot of people are pouring slabs now for garages and seem to be happy.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Putting additional weight on an improperly formed slab will cause the slab to sink more.You need to improve footing and then you can place asphalt.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
    Comparing your situation to highway construction, hot mix asphalt works very well on a concrete base but joints and/or cracks eventually reflect up through the asphalt surface but that is not usually a major problem other than lessening the life of the walk..
    However, as ma0641 has stated the unstable concrete sections need to be improved first. You need to remove the sunken concrete, and if you find evidence of water (maybe because the sidewalk slopes toward the house) either provide an outlet for the water and/or place a varying thickness of hot mix asphalt to make the new asphalt surface slope away from the house lengthwise and side to side.
    Depending on the condition of the total concrete walk and how much repair of the concrete might be needed, you may want to consider removing all the concrete and placing a new concrete walk (after ensuring a good base and drainage) because the hotmix asphalt will most likely be all handwork and possibly cost as much or more than concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring on top of existing carport slab [ 2 Answers ]

Have an 18 x 24 carport that I want to raise the level to make an art studio for my wife. The previous owner did not raise it much higher then ground level. Plus I don't think he put a vapor barrier under the slab because of the moisture on humid days that wick to the top of the slab. The rear...

Pouring concrete over and existing slab for cars. How thick does it have to be? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to pour a new 2" slab of concrete over an existing 1 year old 5" reinforced slab. The end use will have passenger weight vehicles on it. Is 2" feasible? If so what bonding proceedures do I need to take. Thank you in advance for your valued advise.

Pouring concrete slab over existing one [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to remodel my bathroom which is very small. The biggest problem I have is the concrete slab is not level and because of this over the years we have had several tolets broken. The only way to level it is to basically raise the toilet a few inches so we can have a level place for the tolit...

Pouring concrete over existing slab [ 1 Answers ]

I need to pour 4 inches of concrete onto a 6 inch re-inforced slab. I don't think I need to add reo to the additional 4" but I'd like some assurance please.

Pouring concrete slab outside garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am replacing my garage door with a wall and 36" wide steel door to make it a main entrance to the house in the winter and also into a workshop area. It has been recommended that I pour a concrete slab across the front of the garage for the wall to sit on and have that slab just high...

View more questions Search