Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetSunkist Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
    Will suboxone show up in a pre-employment hair drug test?
    I'm about to take a hair drug test for a job and have been taking 8mg of suboxone every day for about 90 days. I'm quitting today cold turkey, obviously. If failing is a possibility, what can I do to help my chances? Cut my hair?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSunkist View Post
    I'm about to take a hair drug test for a job and have been taking 8mg of suboxone every day for about 90 days. I'm quitting today cold turkey, obviously. If failing is a possibility, what can I do to help my chances? Cut my hair?
    You are going to fail... and if you bathe in NAIR and remove every hair on your body... they can see that as an obvious attempt to avoid the test. And fail you for that.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
    It is the sustained use of this and most drugs that leads to incorporation into hair. Once there there is no way, to my knowledge, to remove drugs.

In addition, if the test is conducted soon it's possible that BUP will be detectable in urine as well, a detection range of 1-7 days. The higher end being due once again to sustained use.

If they test for Suboxone then it will probably be detected regardless of any actions on your part.

May 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
    But will they even test for it? What I'm reading online is that employers' drug tests don't even check for suboxone. Is that beginning to change? Do employers now test for suboxone?
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
    But will they even test for it? What I'm reading online is that employers' drug tests don't even check for suboxone. Is that beginning to change? Do employers now test for suboxone?
    All drug tests detect only those drugs specifically tested for. If you are being tested for a federal regulated position, then it will not be detected. Many private industry employers do adopt the federal standards... 5 basic classes of drugs referred to as the "SAMHSA 5"

On the other hand private employers use non-regulated testing systems and may or may not test for suboxone or other semi-sythetic or synthetic opioids. They can test for anything they choose... but you are correct it is not detected on a standard 5-panel (illegal drugs) test. So it's a roll of the dice.

I'm intrigued as to how suboxone became your drug of choice. It is widely used and FDA approved for treating opiate addictions.

May 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    All drug tests detect only those drugs specifically tested for. If you are being tested for a federal regulated position, then it will not be detected.

On the other hand private employers use non-regulated testing systems and may or may not test for suboxone or other semi-sythetic or synthetic opioids. They can test for anything they choose....but you are correct it is not detected on a standard 5-panel (illegal drugs) test. So it's a roll of the dice.

I'm intrigued as to how suboxone became your drug of choice. It is widely used and FDA approved for treating opiate addictions.

I started taking Suboxone to get off Percocet. And it's been three months since I've been subs. I was told that it would be a safe alternative, especially during my job search, as it doesn't show up on drug tests. And now I'm starting to worry. I've gone 24 hours without taking one, and although I'm uncomfortable, I think it's mostly worrying that I'm about to screw myself out of this great job.

If I can get a doctor to say he prescribed me vicodin and Tylenol 3 in the last month (He did, I just didn't take them), would that take care of the test? Or will the results (since it's a hair test) be so detailed, that they'll know better?

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I have so many. I was scared stupid into stopping cold turkey, and I wouldn't be suffering so much through the W/D if I just knew I was in the clear. It's the worry that's killing me right now.
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    If I can get a doctor to say he prescribed me vicodin and Tylenol 3 in the last month (He did, I just didn't take them), would that take care of the test? Or will the results (since it's a hair test) be so detailed, that they'll know better?
    Thanks for clearing up how you came to use Suboxone. Not a usual choice for recreational use.

Hair tests are no more detailed than any other drug test. Hair simply provides a longer detection period. Hair drug testing may look for only the basic 5 drugs, or they can be expanded to check for other types of drugs, including wide array of common prescriptions.

Only if the test progresses to the confirmatory step can drugs be individually identified.

Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) is a semi-synthetic opioid. The BUP is the only component that would be tested for and it breaks down differently from the chemical constituents in Vicodin or Codeine (Tylenol 3). So they can be separately identified. But once again it must be specifically looked for. No matter how sensitive the instrument it can only detect those metabolites of drugs selected.

It wouldn't be wise to present an alternate prescription. Your best hope is that the test is 5-7 panel (very common in pre-employment). In that case Suboxone doesn't show up.

I'm assuming that you have been offered the position and it is contingent on passing the test and physical?

May 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Thanks for clearing up how you came to use Suboxone. Not a usual choice for recreational use.

Hair tests are no more detailed than any other drug test. Hair simply provides a longer detection period. Hair drug testing may look for only the basic 5 drugs, or they can be expanded to check for other types of drugs, including wide array of common prescriptions.

Only if the test progresses to the confirmatory step can drugs be individually identified.

Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) is a semi-synthetic opioid. The BUP is the only component that would be tested for and it breaks down differently from the chemical constituents in Vicodin or Codeine (Tylenol 3). So they can be separately identified. But once again it must be specifically looked for. No matter how sensitive the instrument it can only detect those metabolites of drugs selected.

It wouldn't be wise to present an alternate prescription. Your best hope is that the test is 5-7 panel (very common in pre-employment). In that case Suboxone doesn't show up.

I'm assuming that you have been offered the position and it is contingent on passing the test and physical?

I have been offered the position, and it is contingent on passing the test. I am getting off the subs anyway (36 hours now), and I just have to hope for the best. I can't think of any other questions to ask you. You've been a great help. I wish this was just a urine test, but what can you do? Thank you doc...
    your good Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Just did a hair test and drug screen and the results came in today and I passed I took a suboxene that morning before the test and I was allset.they have to test seperatly for it and don't the doctors that prescribe it to you usually test for it and the ore employment don't believe me.it drove me crazy for a week couldn't sleep or eat cause it was a big opportunity but your good don't believe the people that say it will show up cause appartly they are full of t...

May 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by your good View Post
    Just did a hair test and drug screen and the results came in today and I passed I took a suboxene that morning before the test and I was allset.they have to test seperatly for it and dont the doctors that prescribe it to you usually test for it and the ore employment don't believe me.it drove me crazy for a week couldn't sleep or eat cause it was a big opprotunity but your good don't believe the people that say it will show up cause appartly they are full of t...
    Wow... you created a profile just to put me at ease. MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much. I've been off them for 48 hours now, and I'm really surprised by the lack of W/D. It sucked for the first 24 hours, and it's been smooth sailing since then. I should've done this a long time ago.

I also just learned that the test will be a urine test, so I'm good either way. But they're going to do a background check! Which really worries me because I've murdered 14 people. :(

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. (And I didn't murder anyone... )
    Ttown83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Sweet sunkist. Iam in the same boatas you and have been taking subs for a year. I am line for two great jobs and one does a urine test and one does a hair. I quit subs four days ago and it really hasn't been that bad either. Please let me know how your screening and detox went. Thanks
    uncensoredgrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2012, 03:01 AM
    Suboxone does NOT show up in urine drug tests. I know this for a fact because I've taken 2 of them, and both times I took Suboxone THAT morning. But.. I'm due for a hair strand test for a great job, and I was worried about that. Thanks so much to the poster who said it doesn't show up! You have NO IDEA how much relief you just caused me!! *fake internet hug*
    georgiegirl51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 07:27 PM
    I am glad to be reading these posts about suboxone and the hair test because am on suboxone from oxycontin addition 2 years ago. I had cancer (leukemia) and went through a lot of chemo so the oxy really helped but got hooked. Anyway, I have finally found an excellent job opportunity and was offered the job contingent upon passing a background and drug test. So I have been worried since yesterday afternoon when they took some of my hair. Background came back already but they said that the hair test results still aren't back yet as of today at 5pm but I have done nothing but worry since I took the test. As I said I have been on suboxone for 2 yrs and take 2 of the 8mg strips a day. I will have my results on Monday and I am sure I will still worry even after reading these posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can suboxone show up in a hair follicle drug test? [ 22 Answers ]

I really need to know if suboxone can show up in a hair follicle test. I really hope so. Because I am being accused of using it, because a false positive came up for it in my urine. I am willing to do and pay for, whatever it takes to prove I did now relapse. So I need to know if it can. Because I...

Will suboxone show up in Ca probation drug test? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I'm fresh at the beginning of being on probation (PC 1000 program to be exact) and have to get tested drug tested twice a week. I was using oxy contin but now need to take suboxone in order to get completely off the oxy. My question is, if suboxone would show up on THEIR tests. Does anyone...

Does suboxone show on a drug test done by probation? -Fresno, Ca [ 15 Answers ]

I got a DUI from drinking and driving. I went to court 5 days ago and was put on formal probation and I have a meeting with a probation officer in two days. I'm contimplating telling him about being on Suboxone. I have been on it for over a year, but was only legaly prescribed it for the first...

View more questions Search