Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Aug 7, 2011, 05:10 AM
    hkstroud... I just answer questions that are on the pages that come up... maybe someone should get Ask Me to delete all posts that are a year old.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2011, 09:31 AM
    You guys are in a 7 year old thread but the advice is still the same, Replace that gage with one that reads 100 PSI.
    Then go back and see how to set the control box to give you more pressure. Good luck, Tom
    George.W Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
    Just a very unscientific thought here, if you are running a set of 20/40 points at 40/60 they will burn up quicker. You used to be able to buy 40/60 points and maybe you still can. Pump life is shortened by higher pressures so most of your well service men prefer the 20/40 points. I suggest you keep a spare set of points on hand. They do not cost a whole lot. I have been living on well water all my life and you can bet that they will burn out about a half hour after the only hardware store closes for the weekend, usually a long holiday weekend.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Why do you believe the points will burn up faster at 40/60?

Jan 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
    No special reason, just what I have seen in 50 years of well utilization. I have had jet pumps, submersible pumps and air lift pumps from 125' to 375' and the pressure pumps all have had this in common. Perhaps it has something to do with decreasing the space between them. I have seen several sets of points burn out and it was always points that I had tinkered with to increase pressure. The well man and the electrician in the family always advised me against this practice but I did it anyway. The points would get real hot and weld right shut. If they are just blackened you can clean them with fine sand paper or crocus cloth. Adjusting them will work but it is a good idea to have a set on hand for when the occasion when they are needed.
    Several years back you could buy just the little silver points for about $4.50 and pull the little cotter keys out to replace just the actual points. I have not seen points on the shelf in many years now. This forces you to buy the whole unit. The last one I bought was about $29. This is cheaper than the gas to make a special trip to town. Country insurance I call it.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
    if you are running a set of 20/40 points at 40/60 they will burn up quicker.
    This just isn't so. The points don't require more amperage at 20/40 then they do at 30/50 or 40/60.
    Perhaps it has something to do with decreasing the space between them
    SAy WHAT?? Increasing or decreasing the pressure doesn't move the points just the pressure needed to close them. I'm amazed that in 50 years you haven't learned that.
    Something else you haven't learned and that's to check the date of the first post in the upper left hand corner. You're responding to a 8 year old dead thread thread. Regards, Tom

Jan 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
    LOL LOL my goodness, and you have not learned what "Perhaps" means?
    I made the comment based on running quite a few wells of different types over a period of 5 decades.
    I ignored the advice of professionals, and might do the same again, BUT I did notice that when I did so the points burnt out sooner, and not to put Murphy out of business they did so at the worst possible moment.
    As I still have well water, I still keep a few spare parts on hand.
    Y'all have a great day now, bless your heart!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
    Plumbing.
    I made the comment based on running quite a few wells of different types over a period of 5 decades
    And I base mine on 7 decades of plumbing experience
    I ignored the advice of professionals,
    Hey! That's not too swift. You pay us for advice and then ignore it? But any way you want to slice it. Contact points do not burn out because of the pressure setting. And you have yourself a fantastic week. Tom
    vnovno Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 07:21 AM
    I'd like it increase my pressure also. My pump is in the house and only has one spring loaded nut.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vnovno View Post
    I'd like it increase my pressure also. My pump is in the house and only has one spring loaded nut.
    Refer to your first post.
    Sweetlobes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
    All the electrical devices is all staying engage but the pump is turning off and on
    Eternal Plumber

May 23, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetlobes View Post
    all the electrical devices is all staying engage but the pump is turning off and on
    You've piggybacked on a 8 year old thread. Look for the date before you post. Thanks.
    It sounds like your pump has a faulty foot/check valve. Look at the pressure gage. When the pump pumps up to the cut out point and shuts off. If the gage falls and the pump turns back on then there's no doubt. Replace the foot/check valve. Good luck, Tom
    olebomb1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Hi
    I have a submersible pump in a well on land where I built a home.
    Can I just access the water with a 110 or 220 current and pump into a water tank to use for watering the yard and other uses,or should I have additional equipment to use.
    I just wanted to dig down to the water line and tie into it with pipe or hose to pump the water from the well. Will this hurt the pump if used for 100-200 gallons at a time?
    Thanks
    Calvin
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Play nice children!! No pulling hair or calling names.
    Gimmie5, Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. I'm looking for a specific question in your post. If you're asking about your fathers well we need more details.
    Depth of well and type of pump. Has this issue been ongoing or did it just start? How old is his house and what material are the water pipes? In short, if you want answers we need information to work with. Would you care to repost? Back to you, nTom
    Gimmie5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2012, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Play nice children!! No pulling hair or calling names.
    Gimmie5, Welcome to The Plumbing Page. at AskMeHelpDesk.com. I'm looking for a specific question in your post. If you're asking about your fathers well we need more details.
    Depth of well and type of pump. Has this issue been ongoing or did it just start? How old is his house and what material are the water pipes? In short, if you want answers we need information to work with. Would you care to repost? Back to you, nTom
    Thanks. The specific question is the same as the original post, how to increase water pressure from well? In my father's case and in response to your questions:
    - Issue present for many years
    - 25' depth (he's not 100% sure, though it is shallow)
    - submerged pump
    - copper piping
    - reading 25 psi
    - house age, 40+ years

I guess what I'm after is a systematic approach to troubleshooting the issue. We'd rather not just swap out parts on a trial-and-error basis. I suspect there is a series of common checks that can be done to diagnose the issue, perhaps not? Thanks again...
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2012, 06:19 AM
    Your question was answered 8 years ago in my first post, If you've read the original post you must have also read my solution. It went like this. "First locate the pressure control box. This will be a small 1 1/2" by 2 1/12" gray box the pump wires connect to.
    I'm going to assume that you have a "square D pumptrol and that it has a 20 PSI cut in and a 40 PSI cut off setting, First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts. One tall, one short. To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down. To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down. This should give you the additional preesure you desire. Good luck, Tom"
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Speedball is 100% on it. The pressure switch controls the points at which the pump cuts on and off. Assuming your gauge is accurate, it sounds like the switch is cutting the pump off at 25#, which is low. Follow the directions above and let us know what happens.
    Franklin123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Hi. I am reading about low water pressure and have a question. I have water pumped from a well about 100 to 200 feet down. Recently, I had no water coming in. I called my plumber and electrician and they both felt it was the pressure control box. My plumber replaced it and I got water back, however, it is less pressure than before.
    My plumber turned the screw to 62. It is hardly any better. I am unsure of what ot do next. A friend told me to buy a water pressure booster for my shower but, even if that worked, I have low pressure everywhere else.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
    When the pump shuts off what does the gage read? How old is your house and what material are the pipes? Back to you, Tom
    mmarnin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
    I have a well with pressuer tank. When I turn on the shower when the washer is going or flush toilet I have very little pressure . When I opened the valve at the bottom of the pressure tank to drain it it had good pressure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

How to increase water flow when multiple fixtures running? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me, I want to increase water flow when multiple fixtures are running. We have a 2900 sq foot two level L-shaped rancher built in 1963 in Atlanta. For our family of four, the water pressure is fine. When someone is taking a shower there is a noticeable drop in pressure and volume when...

View more questions Search