suecarter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Sewing machine
    I have a singer model 457 I can not get the needle to pick up bobbin thread
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
    First put in a new needle

Pull out the bobbin case and look for a burr on the hook of the case. This can be buffed down if there is. And of course check to see the silliest thing, is the needle the right direction in the machine.

Also check the tension on the bobbin, there should be a small screw on the bobbin case that will tighen or loose the bobbin tension, if it is too loose or two tight it will not pick up.
    truffles Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 03:49 PM
    This may be the problem... Mine wouldn't form a stitch and I was told the "timing" was off. It can be repaired or it's possible you can fix it yourself. Check the book Featherweight 221, The Perfect Portable, expanded 3rd edition, written by Nancy Johnson Srebro, page 119. She explains.
    Kajubo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 05:40 AM
    I could not get my 1879 Singer treadle (serial number begins with 313) to sew. I tried threading it right to left and turning the wheel clockwise towards the back of the machine. It worked. It has a nice stitch that is adjustable in length. I am waiting for a copy of the manual from Singer. This one uses a narrow round bobbin not a vibrating shuttle as most older models do. I do not know if this is unique to this year or if other models used the same set up. I have been unable to find any of these bobbins on e bay. Kaju

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singer Sewing machine bobbin won't pick up? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife was sewing and needle broke and she installed a new needle and machine wouldn't pick up thread! It is Model # 457 made in and about 1969. Please help? Thanks, CL

View more questions Search