Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniferec1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Is an overdose on Atenolol serious?
    I have high blood pressure and I am supposed to take 50 mg of Atenolol per day. I forgot I had already taken it today, and I accidentally took two (100 mg.) I checked my blood pressure and it is 110 over 68. I am starting to feel dizzy and I feel like my heart is racing. I googled Atenolol overdose and some websites said loss of life, but I wasn't sure how severe of an overdose they were talking about. Is this serious? Should I go to the emergency room?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 09:01 PM
    How far apart were the two doses you took?

Sep 8, 2009, 09:03 PM

About 30 minutes
    Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 09:03 PM
    How long ago?

Sep 8, 2009, 09:05 PM

The first one 45 min. to an hour ago, so the second one 15 or 30 minutes ago
    Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 09:06 PM
    Time to go to the ER. You need to have this monitored as it can be life threatening.

Sep 8, 2009, 09:21 PM

I called the Emergency Room and they told me to call Poison Control. When I called Poison Control, they said that 100mg shouldn't be a problem. Should I go to the emergency room anyway? Thank you so much for helping me by the way.
    davisinstallati Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Hope this helps. My script calls for 50 milligrams also and I took 200.im used to taking 4 ibuprophen 200 milligrams each, in the morning and evening. Today I knew it was time to take my blood pressure medicine atenolol, 50 milligram. So I did, but for some stupid reason, geuss I just had too much on my mind, I took 4. wound up going to er where they monitored me for 3 hours. Said I was fine and sent me home. I feel fine other than being a little sleepy. Had a couple of drinks which the doc said should be fine. So I'm sure you , only taking one extra dose, should be just fine. Just keep an eye on yourself, and if you feel a little weird, then go to the er. Weird as in chest pain or dizziness like your about to pass out.

May 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
    [QUOTE=davisinstallati;3124438]hope this helps. My script calls for 50 milligrams also and I took 200.im used to taking 4 ibuprophen 200 milligrams each, in the morning and evening. Today I knew it was time to take my blood pressure medicine atenolol, 50 milligram. So I did, but for some stupid reason, geuss I just had too much on my mind, I took 4. wound up going to er where they monitored me for 3 hours. Said I was fine and sent me home. I feel fine other than being a little sleepy. Had a couple of drinks which the doc said should be fine. So I'm sure you , only taking one extra dose, should be just fine. Just keep an eye on yourself, and if you feel a little weird, then go to the er. Weird as in chest pain or dizziness like your about to pass out. Hope this helps you feel better.

May 21, 2012, 08:03 PM
    [QUOTE=davisinstallati;3124440]
    Quote Originally Posted by davisinstallati View Post
    hope this helps. my script calls for 50 milligrams also and i took 200.im used to taking 4 ibuprophen 200 milligrams each, in the morning and evening. today i knew it was time to take my blood pressure medicine atenolol, 50 milligram. so i did, but for some stupid reason, geuss i just had too much on my mind, i took 4. wound up going to er where they monitored me for 3 hours. said i was fine and sent me home. i feel fine other than being a little sleepy. had a couple of drinks which the doc said should be fine. so im sure you , only taking one extra dose, should be just fine. just keep an eye on yourself, and if you feel a little wierd, then go to the er. weird as in chest pain or dizziness like your about to pass out. hope this helps you feel better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overdose on atenolol [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Dears, I want to know what will happen to a person after a overdose on ATENOLOL (100 tablets of atenolol 100 mg) ? Is death trenchant and 100% certain ?:confused:

Can you overdose on adco-atenolol and die? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm tired of failing! All I have is adco-atenolol will it kill me if I overdose?? :(

View more questions Search