Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edzback Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
    30 amp 240 volt breaker, 15 amp outlets
    I recently put up framing walls in my basement and am now ready to install 7 15 amp outlets. I picked up a couple 30 amp 240 volt breakers from the hardware store. My questions are is it OK to use this size breaker for 15 amp outlets? And how many outlets can I hook up to 1 breaker? Building a bar in basement, but will moat likely just use the outlets for lights, maybe a TV,. not sure.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 04:12 PM
    What size wire did you use? no matter, you will need to use a 20 amp Breaker(s), the larger wire will reduce voltage drop.
    You could put them all on one as you describe. I might have a circuit for a refrigerator, Microwave, Blenders?

May 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
    I'm no professional, between asking a friend @ work, and numerous YouTube videos I just went out and picked up the metal outlet boxes, 15 amp outlets cause they were inexpensive, and when I asked a friend what kind of wire he said 14-2 so I picked up a cpl hundred feet of the 14-2 wire. The problem I ran into was I didn't know what kind of breaker my box took, snap on, screw in.. ect etc... so once I found out it was a snap in, I ran to the hardware store and 30 amp was all they had. But I was reading some of god responses to other questions earlier and it made me nervous that I may be using the wrong size breaker, which is why I asked. So your saying, return the 30, for a 20 and I can put all 7 on 1 breaker? Originally I was going to put 4 on 1 breaker and 3 on another, but if I don't have to run more wire that would be good... was a pain the first time .
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
    I figured you used number 10 since you mention 30 Amps. Since you used 14-2 you will have to use a 15 amp single pole breaker, I ALWAYS use number 12.
    You may be able to run an additional line from the panel to half of the recepticles, and if Posible may try to get a #12 circuit(20 amps)recepticle so you could plug in a heater or something with some oomph.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 18, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by edzback View Post
    I'm no professional, between asking a friend @ work, and numerous YouTube videos I just went out and picked up the metal outlet boxes, 15 amp outlets cause they were inexpensive, and when I asked a friend what kind of wire he said 14-2 so I picked up a cpl hundred feet of the 14-2 wire. The problem I ran into was I didn't know what kind of breaker my box took, snap on, screw in..ect ect...so once I found out it was a snap in, I ran to the hardware store and 30 amp was all they had. But I was reading some of god responses to other questions earlier and it made me nervous that I may be using the wrong size breaker, which is why I asked. So your saying, return the 30, for a 20 and I can put all 7 on 1 breaker? Originally I was gonna put 4 on 1 breaker and 3 on another, but if I don't have to run more wire that would be good...was a pain the first time .
    I would strongly suggest having an electrician come in and look at your work. It will be money well spent.

May 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Ok great!! Thank you so much stratmando for your help, I will definitely follow your advice. :)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
    Consider yourself lucky, I do have to commend you to think of asking the question and doing research.

Imagine how many do it yourself'ers out there that have used a 30 amp breaker for a 15 amp circuit.

You have avoided a serious fire hazard.

Now all you need to worry about is if it is wired correctly, are the cables stapled and supported properly, are all the connections tight, are the metal boxes grounded properly, etc.

And, you have at least one hardwired AC smoke detector with battery backup located in the basement and interconnected with other detectors in the home.

May 19, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Ok great!! Thank you so much stratmando for your help, I will definitely follow your advice. :) and TK... yes I do give myself credit for asking.. Haha if I could afford to pay an electrician to do it I would, but in my mind when I started this project, this was just some simple outlets. That said, I do know a cpl people 1 being an electrician over 30 years and served in Iraq as one. He lives 2 hours away, but I absolutely will get him to Pennsylvania in my neck to check everything before I go putting up drywall... thank you everyone for your help... p.s.. Smoke and carbon detectors with battery backup and wired to the entire house already installed :)
    Uber Member

May 19, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Before Drywall goes up, don't foget any Phone, Computer, Speaker, Alarm wiring, It doesn't get easier or cheaper than now(no drywall).
    Since this is the bottom floor, also conside any wiring that can be fed through the ceiling to walls above for TV, Phone, etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a 30 amp breaker to run 20 amp outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 30 amp breaker with 10awg wire. I want to connect the 10awg wire to 12awg wire to run 20 amp outlets. Is that OK or do I have to change the 30 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker?

What size wire for 30 amp 240 volt electric heater [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire should I use for a 30 amp 240 volt electric heater for my guarge?

Connecting a 240 volt 20 amp duplex outlet on a generator to a 20 amp transfer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Coleman generator (5 KW) that a 240 Volt duplex outlet 20 AMP. I have a transfer switch rated for 5 KW that has a twist lock connector. How do I make a cord to go from my generator to the transfer switch without having to re-wire my generator? Thanks, Stan

240 volt to 30 amp or 40 amp [ 2 Answers ]

I am connecting a 240 volt convection oven using a double pole 30 amp but the oven heats but never reaches full temp. It's a brand new oven.

Can I connect a 240 volt electric range to a 30 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renovating a rental unit and removed a 3 in one appliance (bar fridge/2 stove elements/sink). It was hooked up to 10/3 copper wire on a 30 amp breaker. I want to install a 24 inch electric stove/oven in it's place. I want to hook up a 24 inch electric stove/range to 10 gauge 3 copper wire...

View more questions Search