Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    formilly4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 04:35 AM
    Why is my dog so lazy
    I have a 4yr old Cavalier King Charles, female, a lovely dog, our pet, fit and healthy. Fed properly, walked a min of 15 minutes once per day, and can be much more depending on weather, she goes to parks and beach and we have gardens. She has never been one to play much, with us, toys, whatever, she will walk for miles as long as I walk, if I sit, she sits, always has. She is very well behaved and has never had a problem sleeping. Lately she has been reluctant to take a second walk, so much so that I have turned back and gone home with her. She sleeps all day long now also, she seems happy enough , comfy, just lazy. Help, she is too young to become old.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
    She could be getting hypothyroid. It's not common in young dogs, but it will happen.

I think you need to speak with your vet and get some blood tests done. Young dogs that slow down dramatically usually indicates something is amuck.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

May 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
    Thyroid deficiency, or anemia may be causing the loss of energy. But whatever it is, a trip to the vet will be more rewarding.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Just to rule out everything, has she been spayed?

May 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Just to rule out everything, has she been spayed?
    Well, that may not rule out everything, but it is certainly a giant step in the right direction... Thanks for asking the obvious, but neglected, question!
    Dogs Expert

May 16, 2012, 05:20 AM
    Right, not ruling out "everything", but wouldn't it be nice if it were that simple? :)

May 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Yes, it would. But, having reset my thinking cap, ANY profound infection can do the same thing as a pyometra. Had a St Bernard who went off feed (wouldn't even eat steak!) and a vet check discovered an infected (abscessed, really) aural hematoma. Or, more commonly described as a swollen ear flap from a broken blood vessel in the external ear flap.
    Dogs Expert

May 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
    I had a Shih Tzu with a broken tooth, wouldn't eat for days and was lethargic and "lazy". It didn't really cross my mind it could be a tooth as she was a smaller breed, and wasn't a heavy chewer, didn't chew bones or sticks. Pretty sure she broke it on her kibble!
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Hi formilly4,

Your vet needs to rule out health conditions or find them. I would strongly suggest a visit to your family vet. Has she been checked for fleas, ticks and heartworms? Does she wear a flea collar? If she does wear a flea/tick collar remove it and see if she improves. Check her gums; if pale or bluish it might indicate a heart health concern. If the vet does not find anything on physical exam then I'm sure he will want to do a chemistry blood work up and a urinalysis, checking for anemia especially.

FYI: Also, have vet check for this>>>Luxating patella (or trick knee or floating patella) is a condition in which the patella/kneecap, dislocates or moves out of its normal location.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Does she tire easily, or just seem lazy?
    As mentioned in above comments, I would get her checked out. Cavaliers are also notoriously predisposed to heart disease... I would want to rule that out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

90's TV christmas movie about a lazy dog [ 6 Answers ]

I remember watching this around christmas, so I am pretty sure that it is a christmas movie. But there was a dog that was lazy and was a horrible watch dog, and robbers broke in and stole everything from this family. The dad took the dog to have him trained as an attack dog, but when he got him...

Anemia or just lazy? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 16 and have recently been feeling extremely tired all the time no matter how much sleep I've had. I just have absolutely no energy at all, I used to enjoy going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and now I hardly ever go because I'm just so tired and lack the motivation. My mum had anemia a few...

Why is my dog being so lazy? [ 5 Answers ]

I got my dogs vacinces witch happen to be the distemperment vacsine and her rabbies shot 2 weeks ago and ever since then all she does is lays down all day and lick herself. She really isn't herself! :( We are very worried about her! She always used to be very happy jolly always giving kisses. If...

I am lazy [ 1 Answers ]

Project ID: 01 Project Title: Implement a class for a polynomial of degree-n Project Description: You are required to implement different functions on the polynomial class. Features: In this program you are required to implement the polynomial class. Declare a class name “Polynomial” which...

View more questions Search