Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittykatie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Custody of Younger Sister
    Hi, I'm wondering if its possible for me to gain custody of my younger teenage sister. I'm 23 years old and have a four year old of my own. Her father didn't want to be involved and signed away his paternal rights. I'm now engaged to a man who has been in our lives for a year and has two of his own children I intend to adopt. My 16 year old sister has lived with me for 2 years, since my parents decided they didn't want her to live with them anymore and moved from California, where we live, to New York for my father's work. She is doing well in school, is extremely sociable and an important part of mine and my fiancee's family. Our kids love her and she wants to stay with me. My parents recently came back into our lives after no contact for 2 years and have decided she should go and live with them now and its not what either of us want. Growing up my parents were never around properly for either of us and from when I was about 16, and had my license, they left us alone for days on end and I was looking after my younger sister.

Can they make her live with them or can I get custody or guardianship? I don't want my younger sister to have to be taken away and she doesn't want to be either.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
    You have a chance, esp since she has been living with you for two years. You will need an attorney and file for guardianship.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Yes, if you apply for custody you have a chance of getting it. I don't think you need to adopt since she's almost 18.

By the way, who's father signed away his rights? That's not likely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 18 and I would like to get Custody of my younger sister [ 2 Answers ]

January 1, 2011 My mother died and left me and my two sisters with my maternal grandmother. Two months later, my sisters decided that they no longer wanted to live with my grandmother any more. My middle sister went to live with my very loving and caring grandfather and our step grandmother and...

Wanting custody of my younger sister. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my name is bianca and I wanted to get some help on getting custody for my 16 year sister that lives in New York I currently live in nj and I am 23 years of age my little sister is in the system I do not know too much information our mother is not in the picture again and my little sisiter is...

Older sister wants custody of younger brother [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 25-year-old woman seeking custody of my 16-year-old brother who is out of control in my mother's care. We are technically half siblings, but I raised him. His biological father is my stepdad, who adopted me when I was 13. My parents both worked a lot and so I was left to care for my brother...

Want custody of my younger sister. [ 1 Answers ]

Im almost 19 and my sister is almost 15. She lives with her mom and our father. Ive recently come across some information that was not good. She hates living there and they treat her badly. I would like to get custody of her rather than her being sent to a foster home. I can provide for her...

View more questions Search