Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Susquatch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Furnace cycles evry two minutes
    I have a 15 year old 70000 BTU high efficiency gas furnace, and it is cycling every 2-3 min and the house is COLD (about 10 degrees lower than comfortable)

The small exhaust fan comes on, the igniter turns on, the pilot turns on, the pilot sensor heats up and then the main gas goes on and burns, then the main fan comes on and then a minute later it shuts off and 1-2 min after it starts the same cycle over again.

The temp limit system does not reach max temp, and it does not look or feel like the system is remotely overheating.

What could be wrong?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 12:51 PM
    My guess is the main limit, make sure 24 volts are going to and from it during the heat cycle.

Mar 4, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    My guess is the main limit, make sure 24 volts are going to and from it during the heat cycle.
    Oops, Put an "it" in the wrong place. :( "It" should refer to "burner" turns off, not "blower".

Main blower fan upper limit switch works fine.

On a hunch, I installed a separate ground wire for the flame sensor. (from the sensor mounting bracket to the burner ground on the control module.) Now burner stays on, but exhaust fan won't quit when the flame turns off! Darn thing is chock full of gremlins.

But, I have found a clue for that problem too. It seems if I tap the exhaust fan relay the exhaust fan will turn off. I am guessing the relay is sticking and needs to be replaced. The relay is located up near the top of the burner chamber albeit on the control panel side. Does it incorporate a high temp limit too? If so, it might explain everything. If not, a marginal flame sensor and a sticky relay make a nice combo explanation.

Anybody know of a good on-line high effiency Gas furnace "theory/repair" manual?

Susquatch
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Is this a Carrier/Bryant furnace?

Mar 5, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Is this a Carrier/Bryant furnace?
    No, It is an Armstrong.

But I think I have found the problem. The exhaust fan blower relay is sticking closed. If I tap on the relay, it will release and the exhaust fan quits. I believe the relay contacts are pitted from arcing and are fusing.

Cheers!
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Sounds like a plan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Gives Heat but Cycles Frequently [ 16 Answers ]

OK, Labman and others proved very helpful in the past with my ignitor problem so now I have another question: How long should a proper furnace run between cycles? I have read about the flame sensors and "limit switches" but I'm not sure if this is related to either. My heater seems to go...

Furnace stays on for 2 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a digital thermostat and my furnace seems to stay on for only 2 minutes at a time. It does this approximately every 10 min. The programmed cycle rate is 5/hr, so starting up every 10 min makes sense. If the programmed temp is 72 F and the room temp is around 72 F, it will start up as...

Furnace blower cycles with Thermostat off [ 2 Answers ]

Have Goodman Furnace built 1994. Worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. It starts cycling, and the heat icon does not show on the thermostat. I turn the thermostat off, the furnace continues to blow. Last night to verify, took the thermostat off the wall (but still had the furnace plugged in and...

View more questions Search